Weak Joints - Deadeye Strops

I decided to try my hand at making some deadeye strops this morning and I seem to be failing spectacularly. I create a ring out of brass wire and then attempt to solder the joint together. When I place the deadeye in the ring and begin to crimp the ring the joint breaks and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I was using Solder-it Paste but that seemed to be dripping everywhere and I am contemplating getting solder wire as that may be a little more comfortable for me. I realize there isn't much information here, and that's probably my issue, I'm probably missing a step or two.

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can buy small brass loops until I figure out my solder issue?

Thanks for any guidance!

31 minutes ago, davyboy said:

You really need silver solder for joining brass wire. Ordinary solder is useless for this.

Dave :dancetl6:

Thanks, I’ll try a different solder. I was under the (apparently mistake) impression that this solder paste was silver solder.

14 minutes ago, wefalck said:

And you need the appropriate heat-source, a torch, as the melting point would be around 600°C as opposed to 350°C or lower for soft-solder. There are silver-soldering pastes, btw.

Any thoughts on specific pastes? I’m considering ordering some solder called Stay Brite which seems to have a favorable reputation on the forum, but it isn’t a paste (at least not that I saw during a quick glance).

If you are in the US, one great supplier that I have used for silver solder paste is Contenti as they offer it in different melt points in syringes so it is easy to dispense tiny amounts for tiny joints.  The benefit of multiple melt point solders is important if soldering more than just two pieces such as a ring in a ring.   You can start with higher temperature paste then work down when adding other pieces if a project does require several parts.  This prevents the initial solder joints from melting when the second and third pieces are added.   https://contenti.com/jewelry-soldering-supplies/solder   They have a complete line of materials from pickeling materials such as Sparex to the solder itself.  Remember that the contact points must be completely clean and must be touching.  Even a tiny gap will prevent the joint from being made as the solder is not meant for filling space at all.  Once the joint is made, clean it thoroughly and then blacken or even paint it if called for.   All comes down to practice, practice, practice in the end.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan! I am in the US and I'll order a syringe (or a few) and start practicing. After researching the technique, I think I might be applying too much heat (placing the torch too close to the ring) and I think I could used a ceramic "plate" to place the rings on while I solder. Fingers crossed :)

Edited by VTHokiEE

I am sure you will do well VTH.   If you are just doing the rings, use the lowest melt point choice that you purchase   Depending on the diameter of the wire, it is not unheard of to melt the brass ring itself (I speak from experience here.)   I wear magnifiers for both protection and so I can see the instant the solder liquifies and runs along the wire itself, which it will do.  I little trick is to put the solder on the joint itself and maybe a little off to one side of the ring.  Heat the opposite side of the joint and the solder will run to the hottest spot where you are applying the heat. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Stay-Brite is a silver bearing solder - not a true silver solder as it melts at a lower temperature.  However it plates and blackens like a silver solder.  It is strong enough for any rigging application and it is easier to use than a true silver solder.

The silver solder pastes work well and are fairly easy to use.  But they are not needed for strength in this application.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS