18th-Century Merchantman Half-Hull Planking Kit by Blue Pilot - NRG

Planking a hull is still something of a mystery to me, as I am sure it may be for some of you.  In the past I successfully planked two POB hulls with the help of very detailed practicums writen by outside sources.  Despite that I in no way would I say I am proficient or even confident in my abilities.  Thats why I am so excited about this build.  It is designed specifically as a hands on kit that will teach you step by step how to plank any hull properly not just this kit specifically.   It looks like it will be very educational as well as fun.  It also makes a very nice looking finished ship model.  I plan to mount mine on a nice board to hang on the wall once finished.  I am hopeful that once finished I will have done more then learn but will walk away with new confidence that I can take any kit or scratch built hull and do a reasonable and historically accurate job of planking.

The kit comes from the Nautical Research Guild (NRG) as shown.  The kit is very reasonably priced in my opinion at $65.  It includes a very nice PDF building manual from NRG sent to me via email.   I printed the manual at home then took it to the print store and had them cut and spiral bind the pages.  This cost $3.20 and is well wort it.  It keeps the manual organized and it will open and lay flat on my table as I work.  It also includes a detailed tools list.  Another nice thing with this kit, it doesn't require anything special in way of tools.  in fact just some basic tools that anyone coming into the hobby would want to purchase or in my case already own.

I have glued the plans which come with the kit to a piece of 3/16 foam board.  This will serve as a building board.  Thats all for now.  I know it isn't a great deal to see at this point but I wanted to at least get this build log started.  I am hoping that this and other logs will lead the way and help to generate some excitement for this kit.

IMG_1684.jpg

Edited by Blue Pilot

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

I just received this kit as well. I'll be following your build since it will be a while before I begin mine. I'm currently about half way through the Medway Longboat.

I joined the NRG at the time I purchased the kit and members can get this kit for $52. Shipping is $10 in the USA, $20 to Canada and $26 elsewhere in the world.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Give the NRG a call and they'll quickly give you your $13 refund. I hit the wrong button when I ordered mine that included and extra $10 for shipping to Canada. I called them and Mary, the NRG office manager, took care of the refund right away. She's extremely helpful.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, TOM G said:

Is it a scale planking kit or a beginers planking kit ?

Hi Tom, it is a planking project for either beginners (like me) or anyone who wants to see first hand this particular method of planking (also me). See the thread above. I have my kit, the contents are impressively simple and it will be started soon. The method used is superior to most of the 'beginners' tutorials I have seen and Toni has done a great job of keeping it simple yet getting impressive results.

All brown-nosing aside, I am glad I got mine.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

This is a kit for beginners and intermediate builders.  I designed this kit so almost anyone with a little patience and a few common hand tools could complete it.  The only power tools I used was a Dremel  but it was not necessary.  Yes, it is also a scale planking kit.  The ship itself is fictitious but the kit is designed as 1:48 scale.  This scale is larger than the "typical" kit scale of 1:96 or 1:72.  The larger scale makes it easier to install planks that are the correct width and thickness.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

First off Mery Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

A little progress in the shipyard.  I have cut out all the laser cut pieces.  Notice the kit even includes laser cut pieces for spacers between the bulkheads to stiffen prior to fairing.  Nice touch!  This could of been scratch made but its nice that these are included.  I have attached a better photo.  After I posted my first I noticed I should have flipped the pieces over to the clean side.  It would have made a much more attractive photo.  Sorry Toni.  I guess that's why I am not a professional photographer or work in marketing 😁

E74A743E-88F9-4788-85E8-726B52671F07.jpeg

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American