HMB Endeavour by rowand - Artesania Latina - 1:60

Hi Rowan and folks,

Your ship is looking good! I am about at the same place except that I have installed the railings and mooring bitts. I skipped drilling the mast holes out of nervousness because of a mistake I made early on. When started to build the hull framework I noticed the false keel was warped. I tried to straighten it by wetting and drying it under weight but to little avail. I had waited too long to start construction since I was recruited to work as a consultant for bioterrorism defense in Washington, DC. I was there for over two years and didn't start the model until I returned. Anyway, my attempts to reach AL to get a replacement keel were unsuccessful either by email or phone. They never answered my emails and I couldn't speak Spanish to the person that answered the phone. So, I started construction thinking that I could make adjustments to the keel warp as I went along. I was wrong. Now, I have the hull and decking built up to the point mentioned but there is a slight twist which may not be too noticeable but this another dimension that I must deal with when I drill for the masts. Any suggestions?

Adrieke's procedure for checking the trueness of the false keel is something I will remember when I build another ship. This my first ship but I am almost 72 years old so I better get busy and finish the Endeavour before I go to the old folks home. 

Pete

Hi Pete,

That's a bit of a disappointment for you about the keel. I know what you mean about the timber in the kit warping though, I've had similar problems with other bits and pieces. I've also experienced AL's product support as well, I'm still waiting for them to reply via the model shop I purchased the kit off for some replacement parts. That was over 12 months ago now, so I ended up having to scratch build the parts, never mind it was a nice day to do that......... :)

The only suggestion I've got on drilling the mast holes is to make sure that they are all in line and vertical with reference to the horizontal (across the vessel) and maybe average the twist out by using the main mast as the reference for the other two.......... At the end of the day, it'll look great. If anyone else has any thoughts, please join in.

Have a good one,

Cheers,

rowan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I haven't gone down with the ship so to speak but been fairly busy with work commitments. I'm working on the railings at the moment and if any one has any tips, I'd appreciate some guidance. Work has interefered with my hobbies for the moment and I've just picked up another gig which I'm pretty happy about. It'll keep Endeavour in dry dock for a little while yet but provide the funds to re-float her shortly. I hope you're All well and modelling on........

Have a good one and Cheers,

rowand

hi Rowand it seems most Endeavour builds are quiet like yours and mine :).  I am finishing of my other build and then she ll have most of my attention :)

be well

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rowand,

I'm enjoying watching your build log.. what a shame work gets in the way of the really important stuff!!  :D

I'm looking forward to the next stage.

cheers,

Current builds : AL HMB Endeavour 1:60

Next build :       Vasa 1:100

Previous Build : Nil

There is no such thing as a dumb question.... other than the one not asked.  :dancetl6:  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

God bless the rain and a lack of work. The start date of my next gig has been postponed by a couple of weeks so I thought I'd catch a terrible man lugry (Flu or something similar) and lay about the house for a week then do some work on the model. While laying about, I pondered over drilling the baluster holes and getting them into some order of uniformity (edge distance and alignment) so I manufactured a drill guide out of some Tasmanian Oak dowel, cut a slot the width of the gunwhales into its base, drilled a hole down the centre, so that I could locate the baluster holes uniformly in the gunwhales. I cut out the side so that I could see the position of the drill on the gunwhale before drilling the hole to ensure correct position. I've attached a couple of photos. It's all fairly rudimentary but it worked. I also decided to do some painting at the same time so here's a couple of photos of where I finished up to-day. I sat the balusters in position on the Starboard side to see how they'd line up and Port side has the baluster holes drilled. To my relief, they lined up pretty well.

I hope you're all fit and well and you can avoid that man lurgy.

Cheers,

rowand.

post-3231-0-01016200-1375773716_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-19509100-1375773727_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-01834800-1375773737_thumb.jpg

Wow!! really looking good.  I love the masking before painting and it reminds of how my dad, the spray-painter, used to prep cars for painting.  Now why didn't I think of that  :blush:

Current builds : AL HMB Endeavour 1:60

Next build :       Vasa 1:100

Previous Build : Nil

There is no such thing as a dumb question.... other than the one not asked.  :dancetl6:  

Hi Rowand,

Looking good.  I wish I took more care like you in masking my hull, would have saved so much time and effort fixing and cleaning up over spray!

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

G'day Bankie & Capt'n,

There wasn't much value in the newspaper, it was filled with political news and stuff so I thought I could find a better use for it to mask up the hull. As for the masking, I've been using the Tamiya masking tape at the painted edges and found it to be quite good, its adhesion is good without being too aggressive, it leaves a nice edge along the painted surface and is easy to peel away.

Thanks for looking in and have a great day.

Cheers,

Ro.

looking great Rowand. lookign at it makes my hands itch to work on my build :huh:

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

• 3 months later...

Hi All, well my work gig is winding up and should be finished before Christmas (maybe). I've got another lined up for the middle of January but it's only for a few days up in Darwin. I managed to get the model out of drydock and make a bit of progress and I promise to get some progress shots on the forum in the next few days. My computer decided to have the usual inconvenient IT problems which has left me working on recovering my files, updating the operating system and installing new programs becasue the ones I was using were too old and incompatible with the updates. It is what it is.............. In the mean time, I hope all your modelling projects are going according to plan.

Have a great weekend,

rowand

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I trust that everyone had a wonderful and Merry Christmas and that 2014 will be a fabulous year for us All. Well I tender my grovelling apologies to you for taking so long to get back to the forum after the last post above. The computer problems were eventually resolved by replacing the motherboard which meant that it was almost re-built with new bits and pieces to get it up and running. Work had top priority and once back on line it was back to work, Christmas and a crook back (not from any particular activity), it just decided to interfer with other plans. It's improving but it eventually worked out in my favour. Sitting is a bit of a problem at the moment but standing isn't, so I was able to do a bit of work on the model. I've attached some photos for you to have a look at. I ummed and arred on the kit configuration of the model and had a change of mind along the way and something that Adrieke said prompted me to reconsider, so I'm trying to build it in line with the replica vessel rather than a straight kit model. Thank you for your thoughts on this Adrieke........

Anyway, I've still got a bit of painting to be done but thought I'd post these photos so please let me know what you think and have a great day.

Best regards to you All,

Rowan D.

post-3231-0-78647600-1388821820_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-98425600-1388821833_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-12733300-1388821843_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-56198800-1388821850_thumb.jpg

Welcome back Rowan,

Your Endeavour looks very clean and sharp, very nice.

I hope your back gets better.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi all! I am hoping you can give me the answer to this! in the manual for the Endeavour kit it says on image two to use veneers 20 22 and 24 while doing the planking.... either I lost the sheet that tells you what planks are what for the decking or it is guess work! just don't want to use the wrong ones and be left high and dry in a years time! Thanks in advance Jason.

Jason, sorry to stick my nose into Rowland's log, I'm also doing the AL Endeavour. I'd strongly recommend you swap out all the planking wood supplied. The decking planks are very waxy and break very easily. The lighter but thicker ones are for the first layer, with the darker thin ones for the second layer. Greg.

Greg

Hi Jason, thanks for dropping in. You'll find a section at the back of the AL picture instruction book identified "Parts List" which gives the description, material and dimensions (if applicable) of all the pieces in the kit. You'll find reference by item number used in the photos to the deck planks and other parts there. It's quite disappointing that AL's instructions are not as clear and concise as one would like but it is what it is and that's where Model Ship World takes over with lots of good folk with lots of expertise willing to help. Take the time to look at every page of the all the instructions and sheet diagrams before you get too deeply into the build, expecially the large diagrams because you'll need to know where all the assembly information is located including, layout, configuration, dimensions and shapes (to sand to) are or, where you can extract it from. This is my first build and I'm moving fairly slowly with it, it's a learning curve all the way.

Hi Greg, good to hear from you and no worries, thank you for the quick response to Jason. Interestingly, I didn't have that issue with the deck planks but such are the vagaries of the AL kit that I had have problems with other timbers in the kit either bent, split or incompletely dressed (must've been a Monday or Friday job). The model is back in dry dock for the moment as work has interrupted the progress again.

Have a good one All,

Best regards,

Rowan D.

Thanks guys! I have to say for giving you such full diagrams with the big sheets they really dropped the ball on the manual! I think the lego sydney opera house my uncle got for xmas has better instructions!

I am only after starting to asemble the hull I was going to start the decking as I know I can't mess that up too much! (I figure rub a little charcoal or conte into the wood after to bring up the gaps and grain, the joys of being an artist!) I have the kit over a year and felt I had to start it at some point and not let the fear of messing up get in the way! at the end of the day woodfiller is a great invention! haha!

I am sure I will be back with more questions and your build looks great! Thanks again.

Hello Endeavour builders,

Rowand, your ship is looking good! I'm building mine on the order of the original color scheme and I'm to the point where the deck fittings are completed, the masts are built and I'm installing the blocks, etc onto the masts. So, I'll be starting the rigging shortly and frankly it has me a little apprehensive. It doesn't seem as if the instructions have enough detail. One of the uncertainties I have is the attachment of the yards to the masts. Can anyone give me any advise on this?

If I can figure out how to attach photos to my posts I'll send them along.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Jason, no worries at all Mate. There's lot of good information and tips in the Research, building & tips forums. As for AL's instructions, well what can we say? My tip is to read 3 or 4 steps (at least) ahead before starting the next step just to make sure the intructions are clear. Have you started your build log yet? That's always a good way to get tips and ideas as well. Enjoy it and happy modelling.......

Hi Pete, Thanks for looking in, I've tried to colour match to the replica vessel and still have a few spots to paint before I move on to the next step. I'm off to Darwin tomorrow for a few days work then, if the scheming and planning works out, I might have a couple of days on the model when I get back. I can only try. Yours is moving along very nicely, have fun with the rigging.

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Hi r2maru,   thanks for dropping by. Sorry about the slow reply, I've been away with work..... There are quite a few pages in the buidling instructions including 'several' A1 size sheets. Have you tried contacting Artesania Latina to see if they can supply a full set of building instructions? That might be a better option as their buidling instructions would be better quality (clearer) than if I reproduce them and send them to you. Let me know and I'll try and help you as best I can.

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Hello Rowand...

I am very impressed.... The Endeavour looks great, such a smooth and perfect surface of the planks ... hmmm :)

I will follow your log as Mr Cooks ship is on my wishlist (but I will prefer the CalderCraft kit).

All the best for you and your model

Cheerio

Max :10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?