HMB Endeavour by rowand - Artesania Latina - 1:60

Thanks for dropping by Maggsl_01, I chose the AL kit because it was the one in the shop, I haven't much idea about ship modelling, I'm learning from others as I go. Good luck with the CalderCraft Kit when you get it and I'll look forward to your log.

Cheers,

Rowan D.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I haven't forgotten MSW, I thought I'd drop in to say that apart from the usual distractions, I've had a couple of unavoidable delays to the Endeavour project. Work was one of them but the main one has been that my wife has been unwell and I've been helping her out a fair bit where I can. I've done a little bit of work on the model since my last posting but not enough to take a photo and post it on MSW, I'll get back to it soon enough but in the mean time, I hope that you are all well and happily progressing with your projects.

Have a great day and Happy Friday. Cheers,

Rowan D.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I trust that you are all well and progressing with your respective models.

My wife is recovering now and I have a bit of time to slink off and work on the Endeavour, so I'm back at it albeit slowly. I've had a big "whoops" and found that I've attached the rubbing strakes to the hull at the wrong height. Grrrrrrr......... Once I understood the problem and stopped walking around in circles, I've been slowly working to remove them and get this little speed hump sorted out. I know what went wrong and how I made the mistake, I didn't research the AL instructions and diagrams well enough and after reviewing the data, I convinced myself that they were in the right position and proceeded to glue them on to the hull. They're about 5mm too high - anyway, On, On!....... I'll post a couple of photos in my next post.

Have a great day, Cheers,

Rowan D.

Great to see you back at it Rowan, and I trust all goes well for your wife.

These types of speed bumps are inevitable with the poor quality / sparseness of the AL Instructions to the point I ignore them completely now and simply follow the Marquardt and Parkin drawings as need for my version of the ship.  Good luck with the recovery process, at this stage it should create no further problems down stream once corrected.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

G'day Pat,

Thanks for your good wishes and you're spot on with your thoughts about the kit but no-one else to be cross with except my-self for not checking properly.

I was able to get on with it and have removed the strakes now and I've posted a couple of photos of where I'm up to at the moment. I'm satisfied with the outcome of the removal process and now it's back to the model shop now to get some more timber.

Have a great weekend, Cheers,

Rowan D.

post-3231-0-79703500-1399590142_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-46566500-1399590157_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sjors,

It should've been a bit further advanced than what it is but that's what we have, now I have to work out a way to get some time to break free and get to the model shop and buy the timber......any hints? I can't use the old excuse of  errrrrrrr........ going to the supermarket, they don't sell spare parts for models. Anybody care to offer advice, feel free........

Have a great weekend, Cheers,

Rowand D.

Looking good there Rowan,  good to see you back.

Internet shopping is your friend, have a look at modellers shipyard up in Queensland

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks Slog, I'll check them out. We've got Hearns Hobbies in town and they stock a good variety of kit wood and a lot of standard kit items for deck and rigging and as the good Admiral Missus doesn't read my posts, I can confess that this gives me a neat little opportunity to pay them a visit (and meander around the shop for a bit)..... btw, nice work on your Bismarck build.

Have a good one,

Rowan D.

Thanks Geoff, I might be over that way in the next week or two and will check them out too... Turn left after you enter the Hearns store and you'll see their bits on the display stand and wall. I found it by accident when I was rummaging around, also the Vic Hobby Centre in Swanston Street has a small stock as well.

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Rowan,

I'm happy that others gives you an answer where you can find wood.

I wanted to say that we have a few modelshops in the neighbourhood but I think that's a little bit to far for you..... :P  :P  :P

The other side of the world !!!!!!!

Then it's gonna be expensive wood !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

A note to say 'Hi to All' and thanks to Geoff for his info, I found the timber I needed at Float a Boat as he suggested. I have to say that I was impressed with their huge range of timber stock!  Thank you for the good intel Geoff...

Also, thankfully, the Admiral is on the road to recovery now and showing signs of returning to her old self but still a long way to go for her.

As for the Endeavour, what little time I've had to devote to the model has been spent with finding time to get the timber stock, acquiring some more gear (tools and stuff), making some bits and pieces to help with the build and setting up the model on a datum board (better late than never). Meanwhile, I've taken up full-time work again and up to this point progress on the model has been intermittent and slow, so I can't post any new photos (yet).

I hope all your modelling projects are going well and according to plan. 

Have a great day and Cheers,

Rowan D.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Rowand

I have just joined this sight as I am returning to static ship building after 5 years building working kits. The model you are building was my very 1st build some 25 years ago. I was inspired to build this model after looking over the Australian replica at the maritime museum in Sydney while over there on holiday. It took me 5 years to complete the model and attached are 2 photos of my completed model.  It is not possible to rig the model from the plan and I had to purchase a book called " How to Rig an English Frigate" and even then it took 12 months to rig. You are making great progress and enjoy the journey.

kind regards

Peterchristopher 

post-13948-0-70127100-1403572816_thumb.jpg

post-13948-0-59752400-1403572926_thumb.jpg

Hi Rowan, Lovely to see your build. I am currently doing a kit build of the Endeavour (Constructo 1:60), and have reached the stage where I start on all the deck fittings and rigging. Quite a challenge and lots to work out, as plans need to be researched and carefully reviewed and interpretations implemented. Enjoying it though. Look forward to following your progress. Best regards.

Donny A

post-12748-0-29572900-1403069517_thumb.jpg

Hi Donny, thank you for dropping by and your kind comments . 

Your model is looking sensational Mate, nice work!!  I'm a bit behind where you're at, I'm currently working on the ladders and other external hull fixtures, it's a bit slow at the moment but moving forward. Have you got a build log going? Reason I'm asking is that I visit the logs from time to time but can't recall seeing yours.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your build, keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Rowan D. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rowan, just discovered your log. A very nice and neat build. I will follow with interest.

regards Mike

Hi All,

The Endeavour has been in and out of dry dock, mostly in though but I have been tinkering with bits and pieces but not managed to make any real progress that is worthy of a photo. I'm re-working some of the stern. I didn't like the look of the little changes I made and decided to fix them up so I'm about a quarter of the way through getting back to where I was a while ago, if that makes sense. Mean while, I've taken up full-time work and that's taken up quite a bit of my free time thus the in and out of dry dock.  Sorry for the slow updates but we'll get there. In the mean time, I'm enjoying watching the amazing progress on your builds, happy modelling and stay well.

Cheers,

Rowan D. 

Rowan,

Every picture is one !!!!

Maybe that you are thinking that a little progress is not worth a picture but I know for sure that you are alone with that.... :D

So please, even when there is a little progress, pictures please !!!!!!  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The Endeavour has been in and out of dry dock, mostly in though but I have been tinkering with bits and pieces but not managed to make any real progress that is worthy of a photo. I'm re-working some of the stern. I didn't like the look of the little changes I made and decided to fix them up so I'm about a quarter of the way through getting back to where I was a while ago, if that makes sense. Mean while, I've taken up full-time work and that's taken up quite a bit of my free time thus the in and out of dry dock.  Sorry for the slow updates but we'll get there. In the mean time, I'm enjoying watching the amazing progress on your builds, happy modelling and stay well.

Cheers,

Rowan D. 

I am also in a very similar situation with my time. It is very difficult to balance all things that one wants to achieve. Hang in there and we'll get there! Donny

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good Rowand. I didn't realize when I started my AL Endeavour that the hull would be the least difficult part of the process. I have now finished the standing rigging and I am starting the running rigging. I am disappointed in AL's instructions. I think they are incomplete, confusing and even have some errors. I would like to know if any of the readers know of any written guides available for this model.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, I managed to get some work done on the model, I had to fix a couple of mistakes and so I have been tinkering with the Transom and removing the Rubbing Strakes on the hull.  Here's a couple of photos to show a bit of the progress....  I cut out the edge on both sides of the transom and added a fill in block to sand and paint. The rubbing strakes were one plank too high on the hull and so they had to be removed and re-done.  Yep, those darn AL instructions got me, more cautious now.  I'll post some more photos when I finish the fix-ups. 

Thanks to you All for the encouragement and kind words, have a great week, Cheers,

Rowan D.

post-3231-0-31933400-1410694652_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-83848700-1410694700_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-81114600-1410695166_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-06357700-1410695186_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-00535600-1410695198_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rowan

I can relate to your frustration with the AL plans and the run if the wales. The AL Endeavour that I built from their plans and instructions has issues with the transom and run of the main wale, which is one of the reasons I wanted to build another Endeavour - to get the lines right. It became a bit of an obsession with my current build so I got hold of all the reference material I could lay my hands on, including the original draughts, and spent hours thinking it through and measuring and looking at all that and paintings and models from the 18th century.

I still got the main wale a little bit wrong even though I measured its position so carefully based on the original draughts.

It's a pity that the MSW crashed and my earlier posts were lost , I went into great detail on how I got the transom to "work"

Anyway keep up the good work, she's looking pretty good

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)