HMB Endeavour by rowand - Artesania Latina - 1:60

I know that feeling (frustratio0n only too well also mate - keep plugging away and you will get there (it has only taken me 8 years so far :) )

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 4 months later...

Happy Sunday All,

I'll offer my meager excuses for my absence - It's been a pretty busy time for us over the last several months with a new job, the Admiral on extended shore leave and Christmas in the mix. I'm pretty happy to say that the Admiral received good news from her Dr and is back on deck now and at the con.

I realise it's been a while since my last visit to MSW but I haven't been too idle. I've managed to complete the modifications on the stern and refit the rubbing strakes as well as weather the decks. I uhmmmmed and ahhhhed over what to do with the decks for quite a while, sought some inspiration and then got a rush of blood, masked the boat up and did it. The finished product is growing on me, I wasn't completely satisfied but after a few days and a few more looks at it, I've decided to leave it alone now.  I'm happy with the additional work on the stern as well and can continue on with the build now. Here are the photos.....

Have a good one,

rowand

post-3231-0-11592200-1423361061_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-18463100-1423361111_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-48557200-1423361210_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowand

Hi Rowan,

As others have said a nice clean build.

Love the colour combination. They all match the hull colouring nicely.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd better drop by and say 'Hi'. Sorry no pics yet but I have been at it on and off and currently working on the hull ladders and other hull bits.  I hope all is well and your modeling projects are going according to plan.

Have a good one,

Rowan D

Hi Rowan,

I just saw you log. 

Like yourself, I recently started my first major build...the AL Bounty.  

I really appreciate your comments on how to deal with bending the very hard and dense walnut planking (your jig is very nice).  As you may or may not know the Al Bounty has mostly walnut planks with only one single layer on the hull.... so I appreciate the information on how you approached this challenge. 

Good luck and I'll be keeping an eye on your build.

Thanks much,

Boyd 

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hi Boyd,

Thanks for dropping by and thanks for the kind words.  I'm not familiar with the Bounty kit but if AL stick true to form, I've found a few errors and omissions in their instructions.  Enjoy the build and I'll drop by and check it out. 

Hi Slog,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, they are custom mix colours using the Tamiya acrylic model paints and based on the colour scheme of the replica vessel. I don't know whether that was the smart thing to do but I'm stuck with it now.

Happy modeling All,

Cheers,

Rowan D.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Happy Modellers,

Here's a couple of photos of where I'm up to.  I've installed the Port side steps and have a couple of the fittings held in place by masking tape - ostensibly so I don't lose them.  I wasn't happy with the steps first time around so modified them by making them smaller than what the instructions suggested and also notched out the strakes to accommodate the steps. 

I hope your models are going according to plan,

Cheers,

Rowan D.

post-3231-0-27601100-1428572083_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-80735000-1428572116_thumb.jpg

Hi Sjors/Dave,

Thanks for the kind words, I have to keep the dust to minimum otherwise the Admiral will have something to say about it and we don't want that, do we?

I'm hopeful of getting some more done this weekend and posting some decent photos shortly, anyway fingers crossed.....

Happy modeling,

Rowan D.

Hi All,

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.  I've attached some photos of the latest progress of the model at the completion of Stage 39, hull fittings and ladders.  The ladders took quite a lot of time and I'm pretty glad that part is done now. Again, I found the instructions and information lacking a little and after quite a lot of thought, I reduced the height of the ladder rungs by 0.5 mm to make them look more in scale with the model. It was a bit of a test to try and do that in a uniform manner and modified the dremmel router table with a removable fitting in order to achieve it.  See what you think....

I hope all your modelling is going to plan,

Cheers,

Rowan D.

post-3231-0-33917900-1429440331_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-52904400-1429440346_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-37888100-1429440364_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-96861100-1429440397_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-54330300-1429440461_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I hope all your modeling projects are going according to plan and coming along nicely.

A quick update.  I didn't like the rudder hinges supplied in the AL kit and thought that in some respects, they lacked detail and didn't match the vessel, so after a couple of months thinking this over a lot of time procrastinating, I decided to make my own hinges. Easier said than done, but not a difficult job.  I bought some brass shim stock from an engineering supplies shop nearby, made a jig to press the hinge pin recess into the hinge and then shaped the hinges and drilled the attachment holes. I'm about ready to fit the hinges to the rudder now and install it onto the hull.  No drum roll, please......  Depending on time, I might manage to get this done in the next evening or two and post some before and after photos.

Happy modeling and I'll update again soon,

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Hi Rowan,

I am undertaking the exact same task at the moment on my Endeavour rudder.

The Corel kit hinges were ?? - I didn't want to use them.

I also am making my own hinges, not happy with my bending attempts.

Persevering, be keen to see what you came up with. 

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hi Dave,

I used 0.012" brass shim stock, same thickness as the kit supplied parts, using the Dremel, I routed a 3mm slot into some chipboard and used a polished 2 mm steel rod (bright steel nail cut to suit). I cut the brass into strips of desired length and width for the hinges, set the brass strip at 90 degrees to the slot in chipboard and held it in place with some very small nails that I used as guides.  I measured the halfway length of the brass strip, marked it and laid the mark dead centre over the centre-line of the slot. I used the polished steel rod (nail) and laid it over the brass strip so that it pressed down into the slot in the chipboard creating the hinge pin recess. This was all ably assisted by an aluminium drift and hammer to tap the steel rod down flush with the exposed (top) surface of the brass. I had to have a couple of goes at it but got the process right and it worked out pretty well. I finished off the shaping of the hinges to get the square edge lines of the hinge pin recess by clamping some suitable scrap timber inside the hinge and holding the hinge in the vice with the steel rod in the hinge pin recess, using a steel straight edge and light taps of the hammer, tapped down each side of the outer edge along the hinge pin recess to give a better (tighter) curve of the hinge pin recess.  I'll post a couple of pics up for you.

I hope that all makes sense.... Have a good one,

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Hi Dave and All,

Some photos of the rudder hinges.  I "roughed" a male side of the hinge set up for the photos as I'd already made the hinge sets so it's just to show the way I did it...... It's a bit rough but I hope it's useful information.  I made the hinge sets in a male & female pair for each hinge location.  I used a fine file to cut the slot into the female side.  The female halves are all fairly similar but the male sides are made to fit the hull contour specifically at each location. 

Happy modelling and have a great day.

Cheers,

Rowan D.

post-3231-0-17045400-1433893995_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-69671300-1433894013_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-55689500-1433894036_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-82045500-1433894054_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-61932900-1433894103_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-84353600-1433894125_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-24291500-1433894137_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-89553300-1433894172_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul, I was just checking your log, you're making good progress, mine is back on the shelf for the time being.  I started some work outside and need to get that finished so no activity on my build for the moment but I expect it won't be long until I can get back to it. I've been checking out the differences in the different brands of the model and we all seem to have similar issues in one way or the other but they are all looking really good as they progress. I was a bit annoyed at my kit with the rudder set-up, the AL supplied instructions showed 5 cut-outs and hinges mounting the rudder but the AL kit supplied stock was different and the rudder had four cut-outs for the hinges (with different spacing/pitch to the instructions) so I made the set of hinges rather than persevering and using the kit supplied parts. The kit supplied hinges were pre-drilled and they didn't work or fit as well as expected. It's like some parts of the kit are manufactured in another factory some where else in the world......

Cheers,

Rowan D.  

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Sorry no progress to report, the model has been allocated to dry dock for the time being....    I did start on some research in to the next part of the build a while ago but I got side tracked when the Admiral got in to the final stages of planning a 'bucket list trip' to UK.  It looks like I've been delegated the job of baggage control (I get to carry the bags).  I've been dropping in tot he forum from time to time and really impressed with the builds and the level of detail.  It's great to see and only inspires me (quietly) to get back to the model.  Thanks and happy modeling All...

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Hi Rowan:

Just read through your log - the Endeavour's looking really amazing - and I really appreciate the documentation of some of the more niggling processes (like the jig you made for the pilasters and your technique for the pintles and gudgeons). Thanks!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hello All,

Sorry no progress to report, the model has been allocated to dry dock for the time being....    I did start on some research in to the next part of the build a while ago but I got side tracked when the Admiral got in to the final stages of planning a 'bucket list trip' to UK.  It looks like I've been delegated the job of baggage control (I get to carry the bags).  I've been dropping in tot he forum from time to time and really impressed with the builds and the level of detail.  It's great to see and only inspires me (quietly) to get back to the model.  Thanks and happy modeling All...

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Have fun in the UK...I've had the pleasure of stopping in a couple times (such wonderful people and ambiance).  I could kick myself for missing the Victory and Cutty Sark exhibitions :)    

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

• 3 months later...

Hi Boyd and All,

Thanks for the good wishes, we had a great trip and I made it to see the Cutty Sark. That's an amazing exhibition, we were a little short of time so got around it at a fast trot. Even though short of time, I was very happy to get there to see it.  Sadly, no work on the model yet, all the usual excuses are in play here and Christmas is fast approaching. Here's wishing you All a very Merry Christmas and wonderful and Happy New Year.  Happy modelling...

Cheers,

Rowan D.