New Member PA Ship Builder

Hi! To all.  I've been fully retired for a year now, and plan to start my first planked ship model.  I did complete a solid hull Endeavour sail boat kit #CON80417 in 2000.  Turned out okay but was a challenge since I've only built model cars of all scales my whole life.  I have several questions, which I hope this is the proper place to address them.  If not please advise.  Here they go.

1.  Which of the following kits I've squired away over the year should I build first.  Suggested kits not listed are welcome.  : Mamoli America MM4; Model Shipways (MS) HMS Bounty Launch MS1850; Lifeboat MS0108; MS 18th Century Longboat MS1457; MS Pinnace MS1458; MS Phantom MS2027; Artesana Latina (AL) Swift Boat Pilot #22110; AL Mare Nostrum Fishing Trawler #20100;MS Bluenose MS1447; Corel Sloop SM43W; AL Scottish Maid AL2032 AL Clara May #20405; Gretel MV33.  I did searched the build logs, but came away a bit confused since I don't have any ship building skills and want to finish what I start.

2.  My model shop will be in a second floor bedroom, so I need recommendations on a paint /dust booth vented outside.  Will the Ningbo Haosheng HS-E420DCK sold by Model Expo work?  Other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for listening.

Tony from York PA

I have no recommendations for your choice of kit.  From the ones that you have chosen to collect, none appear to be all that difficult.  No liners or large frigates, so you are not trying to learn on a subject that would tax anyone, experience or not.  I commend you for that bit of wisdom.

Were you venturing into scratch,  first, for milling, irrespective of dust collection equipment, you would want to do it in an out building.  The same for shaping with a belt or drum sander, they throw too much dust for a living area.   Ideal, for me for the big guns, a hole on the wall with a clothes dryer or cooking hood outside fixture - but more insulation.   Attach that to a hose venting a Rigid 14 gal. shop vac in a sound baffle box ( it is not all that loud, compared to older model shop vacs, but being able to hear music while it is on is nice ).  a quality RIF remote ON/OFF switch.  Intermediate - something like a Dust Deputy cyclone trap - easier to dump and saves having to clear the vac filter so often.  

For in the house,  a smaller size portable canister vacuum - the kind that is easier to clean stairs with - bagless is good.   For a spray booth,  I do not see why a large corrugated  cardboard box - you can strengthen it by PVA gluing more layers of cardboard onto it  A furnace filter at the back and a hose connection for the canister vac hose.  LED strips are light weight and generate relatively little heat = inside the box.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - POF Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner - POF framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner - POF timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835 packet hull USN ship - POF timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - POF framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Over the years, a goodly number of new members have cut their teeth on the AL Swift kit. More recently, the MS longboat kit has been very popular. You'll find numerous examples of both kits in the gallery and build log sections.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Welcome to the site!  Congratulations on finishing a boat!  My first boat was blue jackets Grand Banks dory which I found easy to finish and a good intro.   Pilot phantom is a solid hull, but some have planked it.  Reading through the logs the pinnace and long boat are not too easy when it comes to planking.  I am doing a half hull sold by the NRG in hopes to learn planking without putting a kit in jeopardy.

i have the same paint booth pretty much and depending on what you are spraying it works well...I open a window and put the hose outside. But I only spray acrylics so it’s not that bad anyways on the small scale I do it on.

best of luck!

Hi Tony,

Welcome to MSW. I moved your topic to the "New Member" area.  So far, you've got some great answers to your questions.   

I'd suggest picking one of the kits from your stash that interests you the most.   Then start a build log in the kit area.  It'll be the best way to get help.  Also, pick one that has one mast for starters.  I had no ship building skills to speak of and my first kit was the Scottish Maid.  My biggest issue was the rigging so I should have went with one mast. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

I would say that any of those would be great starter kits.  The most important thing to ensure finishing, is to stick through the build.  Even if something goes wrong, fix it as best you can and keep going.  Learn from it for the next one (I’ve done that a LOT).

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks to all for your encouraging comments and suggestions.  You've made me feel very welcome, and I look forward to learning from your ship modelling experiences.  I will post build logs of whatever kit I start in the future.  I'm in the process of remodeling a spare bedroom into my office / hobby shop. 

Thanks again, and have a good week and New Year.

Tony Shanko