New Member from Pittsburgh PA

Hi All,

Just joined the forum. I recently acquired an old model ship from a junk shop in Lancaster Ohio (see attached pictures). It is clearly not a detailed model and I am not at all concerned by its $$ value. It appealed to me in it's sorry state and I intend to repair it over time. Perhaps this will lead into a more substantial project later on? At present, I am in the research phase and am hoping someone might know if my model ship is a generic ship model or a model of a specific ship that once existed. If it is a model (albeit a folk art style model) of a specific ship, I can focus my research and ensure I repair/replicate rigging, sails, etc with the necessary accuracy. The ship is made from timber and the lower hull section appears to be one solid piece. The crow's nest and remnants of the cover over the poop deck appear to be made from a fibrous waxed card or possibly animal skin of some sort e.g. pig skin). The two cannon on the upper deck are brass and there appears to be two porcelain headed pins on the front of the ship. There are no names on the ship with some pieces missing and or damaged. Any information to help me with my first project would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Peter

IMG-1429 (1).JPG

IMG-1434.JPG

IMG-1433.JPG

IMG-1430.JPG

IMG-1432.JPG

It's very generic.  It is a decorator item that looks like ship in reality.  Back at least 50 years ago or more, they turned these things out by thousands (or so it seems).  I'd say, have fun and do it up as you like.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome Peter! This boat can certainly be repaired, repainted and re-rigged. Then you might be tempted to take on a new maybe more challenging project. 

Regards

Vaddoc

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me