Hanging and taping lines in loops until used

In my build of the Conny I prebuilt the masts and hung the various lines, taped together in loops until I installed on the ship. Now as I take the tapes off I'm finding little pieces of glue which are sticking the lines! Major mess!

Any suggestions as to a better way to store the lines until they're used?

Thanks.

John Gilchrist

Rosenberg, TX

John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

Current build: MS Emma C Berry

Completed: MS Fair American, MS Armed Virginia, MS Pride of Baltimore, Mississippi River Steamboat, Peterboro Canoe, MS USS Constitution, Mayflower, Billings African Queen

Over here, there used to be very small wooden clothing pegs (actually intended to hang your chrismascards on a string).

no glue whatsoever. I can't find a picture of them, only of minipegs that are ways larger (1 inch) than the ones I have ( .5 inch).

Jan

Edited by amateur

The smallest I can find are about 1 inch.. Miniature Clothes pins

Might be the smallest available..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Instead of using tape, I use the little yellow sticky (memo) pads.  I cut the parts with the adhesive into little strips long enough so that when I fold it in half over one side of the rope loop it sticks to itself.  I can even write on it so I can reference what line is what.  That is important to me as I am still learning all the aspects of rigging.  Just my 2 cents.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Do the Post-It pads hold up the loop. Since there is no tape on the loop doesn't the rigging have a tendency of slipping out?

Thanks.

John Gilchrist

Rosenberg, TX

John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

Completed: MS Fair American, MS Armed Virginia, MS Pride of Baltimore, Mississippi River Steamboat, Peterboro Canoe, MS USS Constitution, Mayflower, Billings African Queen

John,

I don't know what kind of tape you used, but in addition to sticky pads there are many types of tape, such as paper masking tape, paper medical tape, write-on Scotch tape and so forth.  It is good to consider how the tape will react to the surface whenever you use it, especially for masking out paint spray, etc..  For example, drafting tape looks much like masking tape but sticks much tighter and may well pull off the finish beneath it.  The blue painters tape is even gentler....sometime too much so.

Chazz

I just remembered I borrowed a few of these from the Admiral for light clamping.  They are small. light and still have a pretty good bite..

Multipurpose Sewing Clips

image.png.19618bff14547afe013ba88ac0121c85.png

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 1/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, jgilchrist800 said:

Thanks Tom. Do the Post-It pads hold up the loop. Since there is no tape on the loop doesn't the rigging have a tendency of slipping out?

Thanks.

John Gilchrist

Rosenberg, TX

Hi John

I have not yet had this problem. I just press the paper around the coiled rope and it seems to hold. I will try to post a pic when I get home tonight. 
Tom

John

here is a pic of what I do with the sticky note paper to keep my lines somewhat organized. There are a bunch hanging from the top on the foremast in the background  6C2091FB-BC1C-40D8-BD87-139277525778.thumb.jpeg.38bb4c37dfa84fc7cc4974a4289eb90a.jpeg
Tom

Thanks. I have used some message stickers in the past but they would always seem to slip out of the loop. I'll give it another try with newer stickers. I'm also going to order some of the plastic sewing clips. I've used the small wooden clips but they didn't seem to hold the whole loop together as the clamping space was too small.

Thanks all for your help!!!

John Gilchrist

Rosenberg, TX

John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

John,

While reading your reply I thought maybe paper clips could work.  Less bulky than clamps/clothes pins.  I am not sure I have never tried it.

Tom