I was trying to remember unsuccessfully, which of the clear materials used to glaze windows, etc has the best non-yellowing properties. Where does the material used in blister packaging stand?  Is it acetate?  

oh no, I already forgot what I was forgetting.

Kurt 

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

These should not yellow,  although I will probably go thru a couple of packs to obtain the skill necessary to get the shape right in breaking this thin fragile glass to size.

1438922520_coverslips.jpg.0f31964d2719cefcb3e7071e549962df.jpg

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Old time model-makers used mica, a natural silicate rock that can be split into very thin layers. It cuts easily with sharp scissors. Some samples have a yellowish tinge, but other pieces are clear.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I have never had luck cutting these cover slips to shape to shape. Even took them to a stained glass shop and frustrated the heck out of them. Mica, on the other hand is quite easy to work with and is easily cut.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Mica is a good choice if you can find some clear samples. They are still used in electronic circuits to (electrically) isolate power transistors from aluminium (aluminum for the US folks) heat sinks.

So you can find them in shops where they sell electronic components (or the internet of course).

Most popular will be isolation sets for TO3 or TO220 style packages for power transistors.

Here are some sample pictures.

A typical TO220 mounting kit:

image.png.735ebf6241aafcb74c0aedd06c7dfa79.png

These mica plates are 13 by 18 mm and about 0.15 mm thick.

Also a remark on cutting the thin glass cover plates. If you want to cut these you need a fine point diamond scriber.

Something like this:

image.png.121ca282a606f9c658754b1d7b7126e5.png

With some practise it should be possible to break the glass with a straight cut.

During good scribing you can hear the glass cracking by the heat generated at the contact spot. It should not break however.

Then turn the glass over (scribe down) and place on a flat surface of material that is slightly compressible.

Place a small (ground) metal rod over the scribe and press it down gently.... crack, your plate is split.

so far my 2 cents on this topic, best regards,

Kris

After seeing the results with mica I will never use anything else.  It is so easy to use and looks great.  A few bucks gets basically a lifetime supply.