Removing CA glue stains from planks

Hi Wahka,

As this is your first build, don't get discouraged, we all go through a long winding learning curve.    Have you tried acetone?   The argument continues for and against the use of CA and you may have just provided another reason not to use it.   Some builders use it sparingly with success, others don't even have it in their shop.  Lesson learned here I would guess.  For the future, carpenters' glue such as Tite Bond or other brands is much easier to work with for any wood to be glued and can be soaked with alcohol or water to remove a piece if necessary and does clean up a bit more easily.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Ive found that with some sanding, and then some wipe-on poly the effect of the "stain" is reduced quite a bit.   

I use medium viscosity CA frequently and have had good results with it. The main thing for me is work with the wooden part, like a plank for example, until it fits almost perfectly and then be very careful applying the glue in a tiny amount so it won't bleed and stain. You need to position the piece rather quickly since you only have 15 seconds or so to adjust the placement before the CA grabs tightly. The thinner the dab of CA, the quicker it sets. A slightly thicker dab of CA will alIow you to move the piece around a little longer but you may get some squeeze out. I have a dry cloth ready to dab up any bleed quickly before it dries. If I end up with some staining I sand it lightly and then apply a finish like Wipe-on-Poly.

I also use Titebond Thick and Quick white, carpenter's glue. I like it because it dries faster than regular Titebond glue and it doesn't run much at all. I use it when I think a need a bit more time to adjust the placement of a piece. I generally just use finger pressure to hold the piece in place while the glue sets up without a lot of clamping. Once it's pretty firmly set, I let it dry for 10 minutes or so before doing anything which would apply pressure to the piece.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

38 minutes ago, SpyGlass said:

Oh and of course the fact that I ALWAYS end up stuck to the build or the bench has nothing to do with my  viewpoint!!

I've been there and done that! I swear that my tools find the glue on my work desk like a moth to the flame! If you are going to use CA make sure to have some Debonder ready at hand. I've glued up to 3 fingers to a piece of wood and, believe me, never just try to pry your fingers loose unless you don't mind losing a patch of skin. Regardless of these pitfalls, I still find that CA has it's place and can be very useful.

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild