Quoddy Head Lighthouse by Srodbro - BlueJacket Shipcrafters

Not sure if I’m posting in the right place, but if moderator wants it elsewhere, please move it.
Close to two years ago, I purchased from Blue Jacket their West Quoddy Head Lighthouse Kit. At that time it had been discontinued for several years, but I persuaded the good folks there to cobble together a kit from whatever parts they had available. I’m finally getting around to starting the project. 

Around the time I purchased the kit, I was able to find on these forums a build log that someone wrote on this kit. It had details about the electronic flashing light accessory. Unfortunately, the components I received from Blue  Jacket have no instructions for this accessory. 

I am wondering if anyone out there might know of the log I am searching for (I’ve done several searches of the forums without success) and can give guidance. 

Thanks. 
A3E6D3BD-5A81-4DA3-8000-D13F3BC785A4.thumb.jpeg.cb605e96e0800ac4143e85a73ae062ec.jpeg

D59DC98A-063B-496D-B409-9A1D40E028F3.thumb.jpeg.563b2b4d94a35dfaaa037af9e0987395.jpeg

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Here's the search I used...   https://modelshipworld.com/search/?q=lighthouse&type=forums_topic&search_and_or=and&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

Builds of lighthouses have been far and few between.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah, thanks mtaylor. Tried that search without success. 

I’ll probably start a build log on this lighthouse project. .... is this the right place for it?

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Indeed it is the right place.  Just add your posts for the build to this topic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

another lighthouse project.........now I don't feel alone anymore :)    there doesn't seem to be an adjustment screw to regulate the flashes,  so it may be preset.   following along ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 months later...

I debated with myself about completing this build log and procrastinated long enough that I came to the conclusion that I owed it to those who follow and who have shown enough interest to comment that I need to complete a build log for this. I spend a lot of time looking at other’s logs, and am disappointed when they just die without finishing. I learn so much from others. So, there seems a bit of obligation outstanding on my part. 

So, on the theory that we learn from mistakes, and might also learn vicariously from the mistakes of others, I offer the following log of mistakes and disappointments ( but, take heart ... ultimately there is a happy ending). 

Lesson #1:  Big Things (big challenges) Come in Small Packages
I was very pleased with my two previous builds (semi-scratch USBrig Lawrence, aka Modelexpo Niagara [another build the log of which I must completeand Dusek Gokstad ship). 
1045E4F1-F913-4212-A77E-F36BD9ECC996.thumb.jpeg.a029f86ead515c150098b14345ba4391.jpeg

A64C0D3A-48E7-4848-B386-6255977DE76F.thumb.jpeg.7339d4e273985091c7871b2744b0a1a3.jpegF14C8E91-3E84-4134-992D-48022E593578.thumb.jpeg.472ef22ad9cac887217e284ba172effa.jpeg

I thought I could have a pleasant little diversion with the lighthouse kit. Keep in mind that this “kit” was assembled for me at my request by the good folks at BlueJacket models from spare bits and pieces they had of a defunct kit they used to offer. So, any short-comings cannot be assigned to the manufacturer ... all the mistakes and frustration were of my own doing. 

The kit consisted of a wooden dowel, tapered, for the lower tower, a short wooden dowel for the upper tower, a cast metal roof, and laser etched brass for the light enclosure and vestibule building, and a couple of brass disks for the upper and lower decks. There was also a bit of electronics to activate the light (ultimately not used as I couldn’t figure out how to power it, and my decisions during construction eliminated the means of installing this feature).  

Simple, eh?  Stay tuned. 

Instarted with the lower tower dowel which was already tapered and sanded. I wanted to add a bit of texture to better represent the brickwork, so locked it into a drill, roughed the surface a bit with coarse sandpaper, and cut a few brick courses into it to better define the stripes. 
FC6C3582-F622-4C0F-911D-EE9E3DA403DB.thumb.jpeg.d25157dd947e8132a3967947794dc7cc.jpeg

Lesson #2 - Painting stripes is not easy. 
The kit included some red tape to be used for stripes.  But, the width of the tape would have resulted in either non-uniform red-white stripes, or the wrong number of stripes. Also, because of the taper to the tower, getting the tape to conform was messy. In order to paint the alternating red and white candy stripes fairly uniformly, I found I couldn’t just utilize the drill rig . it spins too fast and had a slight wobble. I had to repurpose a jig from another build to hold the tapered base on an axle to evenly spin the dowel while holding a saturated paint brush. 
48EE8FA8-54DB-4694-9CEE-A3E167EC01B6.thumb.jpeg.068d56177828ac4ecfffaf8c718cc083.jpeg
4C8348B0-4A90-4B70-9BCF-641794B9FF7E.thumb.jpeg.b33623271c3a556544c7647b6b5f190b.jpeg

F29A1FFA-3269-48CC-8163-D13EE7CDD69B.thumb.jpeg.6866cd5c3d17836124e061eb0fda5499.jpeg

More to come.

Steve

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Now things are getting funky. 

Lesson #3:  Soldering is a tricky skill. 

Two brass discs were furnished in the kit to serve as the deck above the lower tower, and below the light room. Several brass pins with loops, and some brass wire ( about 28 ga), were furnished to create railings around the perimeter of the two decks. Here I have soldered the stanchions to the brass deck. 
1A238864-2903-4700-93DA-B8D2CF153BBC.thumb.jpeg.ac8c024093f37e6d2efccc4fff0ceaa7.jpeg
Clearly, I am using a torch. But, I couldn’t figure out how to solder the railing to the stanchions. Also, I thought that In soldering these pieces together the heat would compromise the already soldered joints at the deck. Also, I thought the railing wire was far too whimpy, maybe scaling to only about 1” diameter, which I thought was too small. 

I decided to try something else that didn’t involve soldering.  I’d wasted a brass disc, but fortunately found included in the kit a pair of wooden discs. 
95C8C680-9E17-477D-8382-F0DE0B7C2DA6.thumb.jpeg.3c4898661b8b14504b493f644504c7d4.jpeg
I formed new stanchions out of 24 ga brass wire, and extended the portion under the deck to give a larger surface area to attach them to the wooden deck with CA. On the top side of the deck, I used spacers to help in clamping the railing to the stanchions. Figuring that a CA joint between the rail and stanchion wire wouldn’t hold up, I formed a ball joint from small wooden blocks to provide more glue surface. I figured I could file these down to look acceptable. 21EAE6A9-4D42-4A4B-8DC7-97E4DC5420DC.thumb.jpeg.b53bb817e888dd82f4a7d8f930b81777.jpeg

Nah!  I didn’t like that how that turned out, either. 

975125B9-B2FA-4422-9E5C-F4EBE4DB464C.thumb.jpeg.a2e75344a06d3f960b4c963b9e5b9f46.jpeg

Maybe I’ll go back to soldering. 

Lesson #4:  Soldering is REALLY tricky, requiring skills I don’t have ( yet). 

I thought the problem with soldering was being able to hold onto several pieces at once while also holding the solder and torch. This can’t require two people to do. 
So, I created a jig to hold the stanchions and rails ( I had discovered from photos that there are actually two rails at each level) in position while soldering. I had to determine the developed length of the deck perimeter and the spacing of the stanchions, then stapled the pieces to a board. I also used 18 ga copper wire, something I thought would be more robust. 
B674BF13-BC37-4BB4-BB24-914AD284F5D6.thumb.jpeg.e6ae294b416b2bf919614f8c49ae1495.jpeg

Shaped and cleaned up, it wasn’t too bad. 

ED2550AF-C8E5-4889-9325-8EE4F2D735B2.thumb.jpeg.b7b1322d161263a9b93fb1167a0ef51e.jpeg

But, the more robust copper wire looked just too thick, scaling to about 4” diameter, much too big. So, now that I thought I had a soldering technique, I’d try again with 20 ga brass wire. 

92E64F04-DF8F-4F6E-A75E-27EF1C9B4A96.thumb.jpeg.d20f2b77d466b02ed776ae7c11da3279.jpeg

This really didn’t work as planned either ... I couldn’t figure out how to join the ends of the railings so I wrapped them in thread to simulate seizing. Also, I miscalculated the spacing of the stanchions on the upper deck, and ultimately had to cut another upper deck from pvc since I’d wasted the brass and wooden ones from the kit. But, the diameter of the stanchions and railings were finally right. 
E2E64480-D4A3-46C0-B451-E44E9C4CE745.thumb.jpeg.3f7337b1a29f6b0601bcd31dd96cf321.jpeg

But, I had had enough. This was going to have to do. Maybe a good coat of black paint would hide some of my sins. 

More to come. 

Steve

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

looks good........skills get better,  the more you use them  ;)   very nice.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 years later...