Ship Supplies

Capt Nemo

I have a question for you fine gentlemen out there. Where is a good place to buy supplies? I'm located in the great north ,aka canada; and i'm having a very tough time tracking a good supplier for anything wooden ship related. Here in calgary there's only a couple stores that i found to carry wooden ship supplies and thier selection is very limited, as in almost non-existent. Nowadays with the interwebz i can shop global, but i do get hesitent to send money to a company i don't know of and have no attachement to. So to you veterans out there on these wonderful boards I ask, where do you buy your supplies from? I would much prefer to send my hard earned money somewhere deserved then a greedy, faceless company that doesn't care for the hobby. I've seen the love and wormth this community has for it's craft and craftsmen/women here in, so to whom do you send your money for supplies/kits?

This is my first build and i'm ready to give up on this great hobby because of the lack of information and a readily available supplies. I'm well over a few months in and things are becoming too stressful for me (PTSD) and this was supposed to be a hobby to quiet the mind. Everything from "what glue does what and goes where?" to "what paint dose what with what sealer?" turned into a quest for answers and slaying dragons. Sorry if i sounds a little fustrated with the process of learning this new and exciting hobby, but i've always needed knowledge befor the leap. As a great man once told me "Fail to plan, you plan to fail". 

I do think a list of worthy suppliers is needed and incase it was covered in a previous post i appoligize in advance.

~All the best~

Nemo

1. Nemo, don’t despair, there are good options and some of them are listed on the site - sponsors like Model Expo and Syren Ship both carry supplies you’ll need.  Crafty Sailor , which is local to you has a range of fittings.  I get things like acrylic paints or Tamiya masking tape through Great Hobbies which probably has a store near you. 

your best bet might be to start a build log and/or ask some specific questions on the appropriate Shop Notes topic.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Thanks Heronguy for the reply. I was a little leery to buy from the sponsors but i've been told i can be jaded at times so it might be a me issue hehe; I'll make it a point go over them to place my orders in the next day or so. I never heared of Crafty Sailor and will get in touch with them as well, especially if they are within range! 

I really am thinking about starting a build log as i do see the benifits to it, especially this being my first go at wooden ships and model building in a very long time. 

Take a look at this post, it may help with the supplies question:

Aside from the sponsors https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/ is a good source. Even though it’s in the UK shipping to the US at least is pretty reasonable.

1 hour ago, Capt Nemo said:

really am thinking about starting a build log as i do see the benifits to it, especially this being my first go at wooden ships and model building in a very long time. 

Most definitely start a build log. I waited until I had pretty much completed the hull on my Medway Longboat build before I started a build log after others encouraged me to do so. I should have done it from the beginning because it would have helped me avoid some of the difficulties I encountered. Don't worry about any of the questions you ask in your build log no matter how basic they may seem. You'll get lots of help from friendly forum members. Everyone here was a beginner at one time too.

The other big piece of advice I have is to go slow and take your time to thoroughly understand what you are doing before you do it. We all make mistakes or end up doing things over  when they don't turn out as well as we would have liked but that's just part of the learning process. Enjoy the journey!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the replys and thank you BobG, I still need to get my ducks inline but i do hope in starting a build log soon enough and going slow and steady does wins out in the end like you say. Old army saying "slow is fast and fast is slow", i did try and rush a little out of the gates and i'm paying for it now... lesson #1 of the journey.

Edited by Capt Nemo

Yeah these sponsors are legit. Some have active threads going in the community. 

Also start a build log, It's this communities bread and butter.  

Nemo, "A shipmodeling Club is a Modeler's Most valuable Tool". That said, I have included below, the list of ship modeling clubs for the NRG list that are in AB & BC.  Below that is a list from  found on the Internet of R/C clubs in AB. Model Ship World is a helpful source when you feel isolated, but have a fellow ship modeler that you can share a cup of coffee with and your frustrations with your build is also. .................feathermerchant - Shipwrights of Central Ohio. www.shipwrightsofohio.com.

Calgary, AB

Calgary Model Boat Racing Association
42 Armstrong Cres. S.E.
Calgary, AB
Burnby, BC Burnaby Association of Marine Modelers
John Tarvin
5209 Rumble Street
Burnaby, BC
Parksville, BC Parcum Mariners Model Boat Club
Nisbet P. Patfield
78 Magnolia Drive
Parksville, BC