US Brig Syren by NovaStorm - Model Shipways - 1:64

Your batterie looks great! And to get the Caldercraft carronades exactly dead center is close to impossible on the Syren. But from most ankles it does not really show, and in my opinion these carronades are worth it!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

22 hours ago, Gahm said:

Your batterie looks great! And to get the Caldercraft carronades exactly dead center is close to impossible on the Syren. But from most ankles it does not really show, and in my opinion these carronades are worth it!

Agreed Thomas, it doesn't bother me that they are out a little either. Their appearance and scale with the model make them more than worth it. I have a friend got this kit when it was first produced and the cast carronades he has look great! I couldn't of used the ones I received they looked like the mold had never been reworked since then. 

Couple of questions? The eye bolts and rings in the deck were they used to fasten the carronades in ruff weather? On the plans they show them placed in the deck so they are situated in line with the center of each carronade sled, with some additional ones in between. As I discovered early on the plans at the stern carronade port opening do not line up with the "as built" on my model. Therefore should I adjust accordingly rather than take their exact locations from the plans and have some of them off center with the sleds? 

Also what is the recommended method for gluing the rope coils for the carronades onto the deck surface, do you use just a touch of diluted PVA?

I don't want to mess it up with glue showing through or white edges from the glue. Sorry if these seem obvious but I would rather know the best way of doing them :)    

As far as I know the eye bolts were used to mount an additional tackle during battle to be able to move the gun/carronade back when needed (see image). Therefore I would adjust the location of the ring bolt on your model.

Tir.jpg.4c910ea50273437ed208adc2a043f49b.jpg

For the rope coils diluted PVA will do fine. It also has the advantage that you can easily clean away superfluous glue with water as long as it is not yet dry.

Thomas 

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

48 minutes ago, Gahm said:

Therefore I would adjust the location of the ring bolt on your model.

Which ringbolts are you referring to?

The carronade carriages are fixed on pivot points and do not move backward from the bulwarks.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I think that ringbolt may be for when the gun is mounted on a rolling carriage.

These carriages only swing from side to side, and are moved and secured by the tackles that are shown.

—MICHAEL ROSE

1 hour ago, Gahm said:

As far as I know the eye bolts were used to mount an additional tackle during battle to be able to move the gun/carronade back when needed (see image). Therefore I would adjust the location of the ring bolt on your model.

Ahh excellent appreciate the pic and explanation Thomas. Thank you I learned a lot with that. Yes I will adjust any that need it. Also explains why the rings are there just back of the screws.

39 minutes ago, Gregory said:

The carronade carriages are fixed on pivot points and do not move backward from the bulwarks.

12 minutes ago, Gregory said:

I think that bolt may be for when the gun is mounted on a rolling carriage

Hi Gregory, thanks for commenting. I was referring to the line of ring bolts with split rings that run along the length of the deck and are set back from the carronades. True the carrronade base with wheels is fixed with a pin but the sled on top of the wheel base slides back in a slot (like when the gun is fired) Or as Thomas is saying it can be pulled back using an additional tackle. Or forward after firing by using the upper tackle which runs to the bulwarks.   

1 hour ago, Gahm said:

For the rope coils diluted PVA will do fine. It also has the advantage that you can easily clean away superfluous glue with water as long as it is not yet dry.

This is big help to as I am new to so much of this. But I have also discovered that using a dry or slightly damp bristle brush is great way for dealing with slight glue overruns etc...

and will probably work well here to!

Help Wanted! I've done up another carronade and would really like some feedback on the rope coils. I decided to go with an uneven look to the coils. Is this acceptable and would they have ever appeared like this in practice? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated :) 

IMG_5322a.jpg.f9c0cb9f83f0be9b4a488fe645b51fe5.jpgIMG_5327a.jpg.036cc10d8c206bfae8a2243b15861911.jpgIMG_5333a.thumb.jpg.7913ee649e775186dd2f2190cb8c48e6.jpg

I've been  told the flat coils might have been used for inspection, but not on a working ship.

I have never seen a contemporary model or illustration with  the coils.

Here is what you see on brig Niagra

image.png.4db0d69708e9af4d9329f8452b81bdae.png

Another method is called frapping, as seen here on Victory.

image.png.5a61bdef2425a1e937118203be2cb76e.png

image.png.f3aec8e94ae7f9d0f35792779c64f273.png

I think the coils are a modeling convention from who knows where.

In the end, it is how you choose to present your work.

—MICHAEL ROSE

As far as I know rope coils were used at occasions where the ship should look good and well cleaned up, such as for example inspections (see images below). They were not used in battle (danger of jamming the recoil motion). Most of the time, when the guns were not used, the gun tackles were "stowed away" using arrangements as shown in Gregory's images, and which I used for the Syren long guns.

cannontackle.jpg.0234429da5ce6dc9c30b32b7575f40db.jpg

usa1147.jpg.beaf3db87a8f1db5bb64951d571b1ae6.jpg

So as Gregory already said, what you use depends on what you want to present in your model, and also what you like best 😉

Thomas

Well here are a few picks of what I came up with. I realize now that the hooks I put in the blocks were not at the correct angle but I did them according to the instructions which was a fairly simplified method. Hope you like them I went with a fairly small coil on sled line and larger for the carriage. Cheers ~

IMG_4869.jpg.5deeb63e7f5dbfc2c82bb012e6ed4a94.jpgIMG_5365.jpg.51d68f11e341e03bb99a949aef5737c4.jpgIMG_5387.jpg.63f8fd5276ba8c5b7cb9d99d07760c20.jpgIMG_5389.jpg.d18bcd69cdb62899c01e6576870ea3c4.jpg

Appreciate all the help and picks provided. I am fairly happy for my first go at these :) 

The pics make me feel like I am looking at an actual ship, looks very realistic!!

Btw, have you glued in your coils yet? I could be wrong, but should the coils be oriented in a clockwise direction? Or does it not matter at all?

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

1 minute ago, WalrusGuy said:

Btw, have you glued in your coils yet? I could be wrong, but should the coils be oriented in a clockwise direction? Or does it not matter at all?

No you could be right bud. I honestly don't know but I did them that way because I also have the blocks oriented wrong which I did not realize until to late. Also there are so many different ways of doing them in the end I went with what I thought would not distract from my decking which I like to much to cover up more than I have to lol. Thanks for the great comment :) 

36 minutes ago, WalrusGuy said:

...should the coils be oriented in a clockwise direction?

What sources could we check in this regard?

—MICHAEL ROSE

16 minutes ago, Gregory said:

I will do some more searching see what I can find. I have seen coils done both ways on models. In order to properly emulate how they would be on a real ship you would be looking at something like the pics above.

post-492-0-66234200-1413609210.jpg.dcb26f9c88f3f3e40015ecf483f72b33.jpg  

Sorry I don't know the modeler. 

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

I don't know of any good sources external to this forum. I just came across it from posts on MSW back when I was finishing up my Virginia model. Here are a couple:

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

On 10/2/2020 at 4:49 AM, NovaStorm said:

Well here are a few picks of what I came up with. I realize now that the hooks I put in the blocks were not at the correct angle but I did them according to the instructions which was a fairly simplified method. Hope you like them I went with a fairly small coil on sled line and larger for the carriage. Cheers ~

IMG_4869.jpg.5deeb63e7f5dbfc2c82bb012e6ed4a94.jpgIMG_5365.jpg.51d68f11e341e03bb99a949aef5737c4.jpgIMG_5387.jpg.63f8fd5276ba8c5b7cb9d99d07760c20.jpgIMG_5389.jpg.d18bcd69cdb62899c01e6576870ea3c4.jpg

Appreciate all the help and picks provided. I am fairly happy for my first go at these :) 

I'm new to modeling. This is so awesome! Fantastic details, proportions, colors. Really inspiring me!

7 hours ago, glueless said:

I'm new to modeling. This is so awesome! Fantastic details, proportions, colors. Really inspiring me!

Thanks for taking the time CL, your comment is much appreciated :) Oh and welcome to MSW, hope to see you doing a ship log here there are lots of folks willing to help and lot you can learn along the way. Cheers, Robin ~

8 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

I don't know of any good sources external to this forum. I just came across it from posts on MSW back when I was finishing up my Virginia model.

The bottom line for realism is that the batteries would never have looked like this in RL. The carronades are in the firing posture and as such the ropes would have been snaked out across the deck behind them.  At sea and in port probably some of the blocks and tackles would have been stowed and others tied around the carronade in whatever fashion they choose along with the breach lines. Btw The coils are called "cheesed"  when they are laid out on the deck this way.    

Needed a break from rigging the carronades and the grates were bugging me so I redid them. Yep I think it's the third time lol I like them way better now. I used boxwood grating from Chuck and this time is it honest ;)  

IMG_5439.jpg.e407ca473987bb51aedce44b032ff1e2.jpgIMG_5443.jpg.bf636857600663f4ace3e2051c4ee33a.jpgIMG_5456.jpg.e901166da08a4c0435242bbb6864355b.jpg

Just going through your log again. Got to mention how great the gratings look. Loving the contrast with pear wood. 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

On 10/9/2020 at 1:08 AM, Retired guy said:

Your last three pic's Robin are just fantastic and do love the boxwood gratings 👍

Regards

Richard

5 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

Just going through your log again. Got to mention how great the gratings look. Loving the contrast with pear wood. 

Thanks guys, I am a lot happier with the latest rendition for sure. Working on the port side carronades now. Finding them much easier now that I have a game plan in place. 

7 hours ago, Overworked724 said:

Robin, your attention to detail is great. Thanks for sharing those pics on real ships. Your end result looks so realistic!  Love your build!

Cheers Pat, thanks for the great comment  :) 

Picking away here. I just finished gluing in all the carronades and adding the breach lines. 

IMG_5491.jpg.30bb8e00de8bd26194884f659554984c.jpgIMG_5498.jpg.25ab3f7085e179e4deb6bf81c37b0740.jpg