Pride of Baltimore II by Tony Dee - Model Shipways - 1:64

19 minutes ago, Toolman said:

Looking good.  Following along.  I'm planning on the POB lI as well. Made an offer on one on eBay.  Hopefully I will win.

Sounds good. I'm in the middle of planking and will be posting some pics soon

Tony 

Have not posted in a while but I’ve been busy marking out the hull and double triple and quadruple checking preparing for planking. His is he first time I have ever I’m my life done this so be kind with the comments. Lol

I also have to learn how to not glue my fingers together with CA glue. That’s not a good feeling lol

here goes 

2743D91F-65EA-4F96-8D67-696BD9A6A06B.jpeg

719224BE-0C73-41D4-A3B7-EB7E7BE87DF4.jpeg

94687C79-9C2F-4FCA-92E0-A2CB92B25DD0.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hello all. After a few weeks off due to the coronavirus pandemic , I’ve been pretty busy at work. I started up again last week and have finished the planking on one side and halfway on the other.

This is the very first time I’ve ever planked a model ship. Heck it’s my very first model ship. I think it came out ok for the first attempt. 

AC58DEEE-2164-4802-8F34-4B88D22A61E8.jpeg

D6364D1A-AFB9-4FCF-9CB0-6DB432F533CA.jpeg

A8A6E19C-4741-4ACC-9FF4-7969FB07FF54.jpeg

E5C893E4-2AD2-4EA6-8ADB-1E66EF706EEB.jpeg

Looks like a nice job for your first planking.  I grew up in Baltimore and was around for the building of this ship so I have always loved the PoB II (and also I) 

• 4 weeks later...

Planking finally done. A lot of delays in between but a plank here and a plank there each day while working paid off. Not a lot of bumps but smoothing it out by sanding and filling. First sanding complete. Finished the transom as well. I will fine tune so there are no uneven spots and then put a few coats of polycrylic for a nIce smooth finish on the hull.

I’m quite pleased with my first attempt at planking. I learned a lot and towards the end didn’t even glue my fingers together lol

Any tips on finishing the hull would be greatly appreciated 

Enjoy

Tony D.

09B6EE2F-FC69-4FD8-B972-CEF0D41FE96A.jpeg

DF77CA3A-871B-46B2-AC80-2A4FB91A854E.jpeg

873A65E3-DAE6-4816-8AA1-122564E4B948.jpeg

839F2233-3AEB-4F97-B503-BBF026221FA0.jpeg

Looks like you are doing really well there.  Have you thought ahead to how you are going to finally display the ship?  Now might be a good time to add any hardware if you are going with pedestals.  If you are going with the cradle then no problem

On 7/19/2020 at 5:23 PM, Tony Dee said:

I spent the weekend organizing and putting together a good workspace for my new hobby.

I've been saying that I need to clean up and organize my small workspace for about 2 years now. Somehow, though, I never get around to doing it. I seem to know where most everything is among the clutter and, if I were to reorganize it all, I probably wouldn't be able to find anything!

I have this model on the shelf and I am really enjoying watching you build this beauty.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild