New Bedford Whaleboat by John Ruy - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 3/4”=1’ (1/16 scale) - Plank-On-Frame Wood Kit

that's just lovely, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

John; looking sweet! I didn’t think the nails were going to work but they really add a special feel of realism...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

wow John......just browsed through this project.........awesome job on her,  she looks great! :)   very different than the kits I've built :o  the case looks really nice as well.   congratz on a job well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2021 at 10:14 AM, CptofMySoul said:

Fantastic build log and a beautiful outcome.  Thank you for sharing.  Your work and attention to detail is an inspiration.

I actually got this kit earlier this year as a birthday present.  I've never built anything like it before and now have a much better idea of what's involved.

You will have fun… The instruction book is quite an education and very detailed. You will want to read it through and study each step along the way. Excellent kit. 👍

Thanks for your comments 

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Congratulations!  Very well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2022 at 8:45 AM, Bob from walpole said:

Great job on your build. I just started mine this week!!

Bob

Bob,

Its a great model with the best instructions. Greatly improved my modeling skills in the process. My only advice would be, study the instruction booklet steps ahead of your build. Lots of details there. 

Have fun…

John

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, mandolinut said:

Beautiful job!! Where did you get the compass rose? I am in the process of building this.

Thank you… I simply found an image on the internet and reduced it on my  color/printer for the compass. Used white glue to place and arylic clear semi glass to cover the paper compass. 

Good luck with your build the instruction book is excellent, I learned a lot building that particular model. 

BTW… Do you have a build log?

John

I have not done a build log. I do have photos I have taken up to this point. Just finished planking and getting ready to build the internal ribs.  I also made the various buckets and tubs while waiting for the planks to set up. I keep referring to your build which along with the instruction book really help. Thanks for the compas rose idea. Patrick

I commend you again for this fine blog. I have read it over completely several times and return to certain areas to better see details. The instructions and plans are very detailed, however I am more of a visual person and seeing it is for some reason makes everything clearer to me then reading it.  My current question is where to find the small brass pins you used. Really adds a nice look.  I have looked online with no success.  Thanks again for your help. Patrick

Thanks again for your comments, I’m glad you are finding my build log helpful. 

Im not sure to what pins you are referring?  Would it be the nails I used?

image.jpeg.50e98151bb1b666139dc2a1edfa4892c.jpeg

They are left overs from previous kits. I didn’t like the copper etched pieces supplied. Try this link, just be careful what size you order. The pins I used were .5 mm diameter, I pre drilled the holes and cut them to length as required. 
 John

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801174526891.html?spm=a2g0n.detail.1000014.3.5776q7C6q7C6Sj&gps-id=platformRecommendH5&scm=1007.40000.326746.0&scm_id=1007.40000.326746.0&scm-url=1007.40000.326746.0&pvid=8687fea4-b5c1-40d2-84f7-6cb5de7ff991&_t=gps-id:platformRecommendH5,scm-url:1007.40000.326746.0,pvid:8687fea4-b5c1-40d2-84f7-6cb5de7ff991,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238116%23979&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!1.39!0.99!!!1.39!0.99!%402103011017069700467063820e1fff!10000015800220384!rec!US!!AB&search_p4p_id=202402030620467932208329681363973400_1

Edited by John Ruy