Deadeyes for 1:106 scale

What are the full size measurements?

You are talking about the triangular shape deadeyes?   Those would be fairly easy to scratch.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

So, not much info found to date after searching for a couple of days on and off....  anyone have any image or picture of how the caravel deadeyes were rigged, and what type was used?  I've see some kind of boxy ones, and others have mentioned the heart type.  Also, in a Caravel, would they be tied down to a cleat, or some other fixing type was used?

Not sure which one would be more period correct, and would love to improve the look of the mini-Mamoli kit.  I am set for building them (as the size will be an issue for purchasing purposes), and would kike to rig correctly, so if any feedback/image can be shared with me, it will be greatly appreciated!

Pics below are the best that I have found...

Thanks,

Jorge

Heart Block.png

Heart Deadeye.jpg

Here's the start of the scratch ones...  I think I have to reduce it a tad, and I definitely have to open the center a bit more.  I think I will coat them in CA super thin for penetration, and make them stronger for the center work.  Then I can sand and tint...  or maybe tint first, CA coat, work, and sand...  test phase!

Any recommendations welcome!

Regards,

Jorge

heart block deadeye.jpg

Great start..

Do you have some square stock that you could shape on the long axis, then slice off pieces?

Might go a little faster..

Here is an Image from Anatomy of the Ship - The Ships of Christoper Columbus

image.png.909f1ef37e0cab8111f81cb8ea88672a.png

If you need more info from the book, I will try to find it for you.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Jorge,

I'd have sent this sooner but for some reason, because of the site or my computer, I couldn't write any text. That being said, I wanted to send some

photos of the replica tall ships Nina and Pinta that my wife and I toured back in 2013. I hope they'll help with your rigging questions!

P7020018.JPG

P7020013.JPG

P7020023.JPG

P7020024a.jpg

P7020025.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

That's a particularly nice looking replica, Shotlocker! And your photos are beautifully detailed.

I was just looking through my collection of contemporary illustrations of caravels, but unfortunately none of them are detailed enough to show the deadeyes. However, carracks (such as the Santa Maria) are contemporary with them and might cast a bit of light on the subject. The nearest Spanish carrack in date to Nina is this, dated 1475 - and it should be remembered that in 1492 the ships Columbus was given were rather old so this should be pretty close to the right date.

1243585298_1475Spanishcarracks.jpg.408c026e5e3996d3f7a952bd8182943a.jpg

It's from the votive screen at the church of San Pedro in Zumaia, commissioned by Captain Juan Martinez de Mendaro to commemorate his 1475 victory over a Portuguese fleet in the Strait of Gibraltar - see

https://www.diariovasco.com/costa-urola/zumaia/tabla-votiva-parroquia-20191215002604-ntvo.html (quite a few pop-ups, unfortunately).

This is the best image I can find, but it seems to show rounded triangular "heart" deadeyes similar to the ones you're making so it's likely you're on the right track. 

Maybe if you laminate some very thin strips of wood, your piece will be stronger and will not break along the grain. 

Incidentally, at such small scales real wood often is not the best choice because the wood is too prominent and/or the wood is not stable enough at small sizes, particularly, if one does not have access to hardwood, such as boxwood. Therefore, it might be better to use metal or plastics and paint these to simulate wood.

Hence, it may be harder, but it may be a good idea to cut the hearts in question from brass or aluminium sheet. Styrene might be too soft, but acrylic glass should work as well.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg