USS Constitution by Bolithofan - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC - 1969 H-329

Hi all, 

Starting this kit, bought it on Ebay.  Seems to be complete.  I have a few issues with the deck though, it's warped with age.  I am hoping somebody might have some good tips on how to flatten it so that I can start painting and refurbishing it. 

As you can see, the model was started and abandoned.  Luckily all the parts seem to be there.  The deck was started, hastily painted, cannons cemented down but not cleanly.  I will fix all that.  But I need to straighten this deck before I paint.

Any suggestions?  Steam?  Boiling water?  Microwave?

Thank you!

IMG-0349.jpg

IMG-0350.jpg

Interesting kit you have found and welcome to MSW!

Not that I really know what I am talking about but..... I would take a piece of scrap material from the same kit, a piece of runner for example and leave it for a couple of minutes in warm water. Start with 50 deg C (abut 120 F) and then try to form in a slightly different shape and leave it like that to cool down. Can you permanently change the shape of the runner? If not increase the temperature a little bit more etc. A totally (under 🙂) educated guess is that a temperature between 120 F and boiling point will be enough to soften the plastic enough to at least correct the worst warping. My feeling is that the temperature range between when the plastic becomes slightly softer and very soft is narrow so be careful in the beginning otherwise you may end up with a deck looking like the warped clocks in a Salvador Dali painting.

Once you have found the correct temperature when the plastic in your kit starts to soften enough, try to only heat the warped section of the deck and not the rest thus preventing any "Dali" effects 🙂.

Regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

Warm water is the most common meethod of dealing with plastic warping as Henrik points out above.

But there is also a chance that you don't need to worry about it at all with this part in this kit. The deck fits into a grove on each side of the two hull halves and once they are brought together properly the deck will be trapped and held in it's proper place without the warp. Yo can test this out by dry fitting the three pieces and holding  it with your hand.

Welcome to the forum and good luck either way.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks for the replies!

I have safely removed the cannons so I can clean then up.  The cannons were basically placed on the carriages and then cement poured over them!  Goodness.  I'll try some warm water to straighten the deck.  You are correct Lou, the hulls do have slots for the deck, my only worry is that warp is almost 1/4" on the port side and might stress when cemented in.  I'd hate for it to separate later.  

Here is a picture of the box, fun kit so far.  It's a starter for my larger 1964 Revell Cutty Sark that I purchased.  Intact and all pieces there!  

Posts to come.  

IMG-0354.jpg

Hey, great kit.  I built 3 of these in the early 70's.  I built one for my chief while in the Coast Guard from 1971 - 1974.  These things are getting pretty old by now so I imagine that there are quite a few brittle parts and don't even think about getting decals that old to work.  That being said, she builds into a beautiful model.  Good luck and I will be watching the build.

Hi again, 

Thank you all for the kind comments.  Great community here!

I straightened the deck REASONABLY.  It's not perfect, but it fits in the hull.  I carefully pulled off the old cannons and cleaned up the trucks.  I am not a good painter, never was, but started the deck and hulls with enthusiasm.  

Here is some headway tonight.  

06.jpg

Great start. I know what you mean about the painting, not so good myself. Good job on straightening the deck.

I've the big brother waiting for me when I'm ready, but some wood projects to do in the meantime.

There are quite a few Revell Constitution builds on the site. Lots of help about too if you need it.

Stay safe,

Bob

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, gonna call this one finished.  The aft of the deck is badly warped, so were the masts.  The mizzen leaned so far forward, there was no way to make it look good.  The strain on the standing rigging would have been too much and something would have snapped.  The mast pieces were also very warped. 

So I have decided to wrap this one up.  I am happy with my first model in over 25 years.  I'll find a little case for it and show it happily. 

I am going to move along to my vintage 96 scale Cutty Sark.

Be back soon!

IMG_0394.jpeg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg