Swift 1805 by Swallowtail - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - first build

I posted this in the Member's intro section, but on suggestion there will start this log...

I bought the Swift kit a few years ago as a first ever timber ship kit, but put it down after constructing the frame and half-planking the deck, when I realised I wasn't happy with the planking I had started. This last week I picked it up again and decided that no-one else would ever realise that some of the planks didn't quite look perfect! So progress since then has been to finish the deck planking, fit the deck to the frame, and start planking... 

I ended up clamping the deck down pretty hard to get the curve to the bulkheads, but it looks really good so I'm pretty happy with it.

One thing I have noted is that I was not happy with the hull curve generated by bulkhead 6 (it really pinched in and didn't flow well at all) so I have packed it slightly - it can be seen in the last photo as the bulkhead with an extra pin in it near the keel. 

I've been reading a lot on planking techniques - and reading through @stripehunter's build log - some excellent advice all round.

I daresay this will go through stages of modelling energy, but I'll get there eventually :) 

IMG_20200803_200353.jpg

IMG_20200803_200407.jpg

IMG_20200803_200421.jpg

IMG_20200803_200442.jpg

IMG_20200804_193728.jpg

Planking looks very nice! 😁

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Getting one's first-ever first planking done is a huge psychological hurdle for new modelers. You'd be surprised at how many folks get the false deck and hull formers glued together -- and then give up. So congrats on your milestone! 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well aren't holidays great... :) 

Did the other side this last week, much easier than the first - lessons learnt. Having ends to match and measurements to compare certainly sped things up! 

Planking is now done, and first sanding roughly complete. There are a couple of low spots to fill and then resand, then on to the next steps! 

20201228_215417.jpg

20201228_215428.jpg

20201228_215436.jpg

20201228_215446.jpg

Steady progress... Bulwarks on, one now lined. I've planed it down to be 3 x planks tall, and it flows nicely. Interesting to see that the stern transom is narrower than the kit by about 8mm once the bulwarks are nicely fitted and flowing. I've gone with it, and she'll have a narrower transom. 

I've also packed the sternpost so it sits out a little, will have to see if that bites me later! 

20201229_161829.jpg

20201229_161847.jpg

20201229_161907.jpg

20201229_172108.jpg

20201229_172141.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

She's a beaut! 

I guess you know this already but multiple well thinned coats of varnish will avoid the toffee apple/candy apple look. Sorry, I just had to remind you about that because that wood looks so good!

Yes.... And no need to apologise :) This is my first ship build! 

That's next, I've just fitted the rudder, and I'm working on the bowsprit. 

20220626_204814.jpg

20220626_204808.jpg

Two coats of varnish looking great. 

Fore mast tapered and shaped. It's sitting a couple of degrees too much rake when just slotted in, so I'll straighten it slightly. 

The instructions seem to suggest doing some of the standing rigging before inserting and gluing the mast, which seems odd. My instinct tells me to fit and glue the mast at the right rake angle and then do standing rigging to the fitted mast... but it's my first model so my instinct could well be wrong! What's the best way? 

20220629_210953.jpg

20220629_210931.jpg

Follow your gut. Just make sure that you measure and set both the rake and plumb side to side. Use a slow setting wood glue so you have time to make adjustments. You have plenty of room to use a small machinists square(s) to set the mast square along the center line. You can make a small jig to set the rake out of scrap wood. If you were building a ship with more complicated rigging , that is when I would wait to fix the mast in place. Also make sure any holes that need to be drilled in the mast are done before you glue it in place.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Every build is a learning process. The Swift is a great project and has been around for more years than I wish to think about. This is a testament to not only its timelessness, but its popularity as a learning vessel and just plain fun build. It isn't over complicated but allows you to learn a little about everything concerning ship building and it can be detailed really well. Enjoy.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!