Glory of the Seas 1869 by rwiederrich - FINISHED - 1/96 - medium clipper

In one photo I notice that her stern angle is very nice - and reminds me a little of the Thermopylae, although the "Big T" has a slightly lower angle.  I prefer the Glory and Thermie look of the sterns much more than the Cutty Sark and other clippers with near vertical portions in the stern.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

There is a good view of the stern profile in one picture ... 'reminds me of the Thermopylae stern.  A clean angle seems more graceful that other profiles that have near vertical portions.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I finished cutting out the frame boards.  I'll loft the hull by using the lofting jigs to aid in the hull's contour.  I'll add the stem and keel after the hull is carved.

Rob

IMG_0115.JPG

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Kinda like what these lofters are doing.

51828259_2361618150515940_5881090785608204288_o.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

My crude drawing on the templet showing how it closely mimics the San Pedro profile...  Adjustments can easily be made when the stem is added to the model.

Rob 

IMG_0114.JPG.46a9fb8a0e7a049b479fde9968057f39_LI.jpg

Glory bow detail 1907 San Pedro (2).jpg

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

22 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, it sounds like we're both describing the same phenomena two different ways, sort of like "you say poh-tah-to & I say poh-tay-to". Same problem, two similar approaches to identifying it. If I'm correct, I think what you're calling "perception" I've been referring to as "perspective distortion." Basically an object changes it's shape based upon relative distance of an observer: near or far, angle of observation: above or below horizon and relative position: side, front, rear, etc. As an artist, my eye always pays attention to this so that I can more a accurately reproduce on 1 dimension: paper or canvas what I see in 3 dimensions. That way you avoid a child's drawing of a house, where front & side are equally represented on a drawing. Cute but not realistic. 

To me the easiest solution to this challenge of, let's call it "perceptive perspective distortion" is employing a scientific method of using angles and specific measurements to most accurately rebuild what we're seeing from multiple vexing angles. We now know a lot of specifics a out exact distances of her Bowsprit, her Figurehead etc. Those measurements won't lie to us.

As you see, I've included 4 full images of old "Glory" to demonstrate how this phenomena still persists. 

What I see in her 1869 East Boston fitting out scene is a stern that seems to be as high, if not higher than her Bow, which is sharply verticle with a stubby "beak" and very short bowsprit. 

The 1907 image (which I favor not because her Bow is "faster" but because it's the closest to a true broadside view of her Hull. Now her Stern is noticeably lower than her Bow. However she hardly resembles the same vessel pictured in 1869. If you looked at both images side by side, without knowing these were the same Ship, would you know?

The 3rd picture of Glory which I reversed to align all images, appears to reveal an even more pronounced Bow and now the Stern looks much lower. It reminds me how if you look at Goal Posts in a football field, you know darn well both are of equal height and dimension but the one at the other end looks so much smaller.

Finally the 1922 Glacier Fish Hull is barely recognizable as the same Clipper Ship from over a half century ago. Notice though, all images show a graceful semicircular curve at the Cutwater and all demonstrate a long sheer across the entire Hull. 

20200810_150935.jpg

20200810_113559.jpg

20200812_104117.jpg

20200812_054350.jpg

folks,  excellent obsevation . be it me i would grab second photograph as definite reference and forget about all rest ;) just my 00.2 V. we discussed it aplenty again and again. first photo clearly heavily distorted perspective of bow as photographed from rear - second probably the best photo so far. . last photo heavily distorted look again as took close to centerline - aroud 30 to 45 digrees to centerline... for hull shape useless. ...i guess. V 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

On 3/4/2021 at 4:57 PM, rwiederrich said:

I reposted them.  These are of my cutouts I will use for the model.  Notice how sleek she looks when I only portray her at water level and only the bow.

These drawing are from the 1/8" drawing I superimposed over the San Pedro image.

Like you, I feel, if several of us are satisfied with with her dimensions and overall look, then we are probably as close as we're ever going to get.  We'll have to run this all by Mike, of course.  but from what he has been telling us he thinks the last drawings that were made need some refinement....particularly of her bow and entry.

Rob 

Rob,

We're definitely getting closer but I think there's still more refinement to be done. Here's a direct tracing of the Bow element from Mike's more detailed photo. As she was partially in shadows I had to approximate the Figurehead Athene's head. Even though this is in my estimate overall the least distorted image of Glory that has been revealed so far, I noticed that the distance between her Figurehead and inner Bobstay mount, which you've determined are equal is foreshortened just a bit. 

My intent is to trace all 4 photos, to get a sense of her Hull proportions and then use all specific measurements we've so carefully developed to recreate her most accurately. 

20210306_105717.jpg

IMG_0114.JPG.46a9fb8a0e7a049b479fde9968057f39_LI.jpg.5bd7f8153a805cd1ce42d93d9eeb3db3-1.jpg

2 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob,

We're definitely getting closer but I think there's still more refinement to be done. Here's a direct tracing of the Bow element from Mike's more detailed photo. As she was partially in shadows I had to approximate the Figurehead Athene's head. Even though this is in my estimate overall the least distorted image of Glory that has been revealed so far, I noticed that the distance between her Figurehead and inner Bobstay mount, which you've determined are equal is foreshortened just a bit. 

My intent is to trace all 4 photos, to get a sense of her Hull proportions and then use all specific measurements we've so carefully developed to recreate her most accurately. 

20210306_105717.jpg

IMG_0114.JPG.46a9fb8a0e7a049b479fde9968057f39_LI.jpg.5bd7f8153a805cd1ce42d93d9eeb3db3-1.jpg

Here's a quick tracing of Glory's stern, done as a accurately as possible based on available photographic information. While there's no specific dimension given for Stern overhang (sole example I could find is "Staghound" which had a stern which projected just 7' from her sternpost) it was generally noted too, that all of Donald McKay's vessels had short Sterns to prevent possibility of foundering. It's well suspected that British Tea Clipper 'Ariel' was lost this way. Look at British Tea Clipper "Cutty Sark" and you'll see the significant difference between the elegant finley formed Yacht like Stern compared to the more rugged business like McKay Sterns.

20210306_145858.jpg

I rolled out my old 1:65 sketch today. So im about to beat the horse last time for my view. Biggest credit to clipperfan pointing distortion of photography plays biggest role. I compared that middle photograph with "white" anchor - with all assumptions were taken before photo appeared. Guess what? Length of the tip was assumed correctly.  But i was stunned how short cheeks were even on Mr. mjelde design from distorted angles of photos until that photo apeared. I tried to draw the lines according photo and briefly clmpared with Clipperfan and Rob sketch- its clear match +- i dont play exactness here....so its definite bow for me as well. Enjoy comarisons. There is mess of the various overlayers but its visoble enough to see it..transparent paper is The photo stransfer... .v. 

20210307_103610.jpg

20210307_103428.jpg

20210307_103546.jpg

20210307_103422.jpg

20210307_103355.jpg

20210307_105110.jpg

Add

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

I rolled out my old 1:65 sketch today. So im about to beat the horse last time for my view. Biggest credit to clipperfan pointing distortion of photography plays biggest role. I compared that middle photograph with "white" anchor - with all assumptions were taken before photo appeared. Guess what? Length of the tip was assumed correctly.  But i was stunned how short cheeks were even on Mr. mjelde design from distorted angles of photos until that photo apeared. I tried to draw the lines according photo and briefly clmpared with Clipperfan and Rob sketch- its clear match +- i dont play exactness here....so its definite bow for me as well. Enjoy comarisons. There is mess of the various overlayers but its visoble enough to see it..transparent paper is The photo stransfer... .v. 

20210307_103610.jpg

20210307_103428.jpg

20210307_103546.jpg

20210307_103422.jpg

20210307_103355.jpg

20210307_105110.jpg

Vladimir,

I'm thrilled to see the point I've been struggling to make is gradually being recognized. While it's nice to take greatest credit, my feelings are it's misplaced to a degree. This is a collaboration and there's lots of credit to be shared. Rob deserves a lot of credit for his decision to move beyond modifying Revell's Cutty Sark hull to creating a genuine version. That move got the attention of Arina "theauthorsdaughter". She than facilitated the wonderful meeting of her dad, Michael Mjelde (whom I consider a celebrity for his lifelong research on "Glory of the Seas") My vote for who deserves greatest credit is Michael Mjelde himself. His humility in accepting that published drawings could possibly be inaccurate has been the greatest contribution to promoting our efforts. By sending me much clearer prints of Glory, he has made everything else, still ongoing, possible 

1 hour ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir,

I'm thrilled to see the point I've been struggling to make is gradually being recognized. While it's nice to take greatest credit, my feelings are it's misplaced to a degree. This is a collaboration and there's lots of credit to be shared. Rob deserves a lot of credit for his decision to move beyond modifying Revell's Cutty Sark hull to creating a genuine version. That move got the attention of Arina "theauthorsdaughter". She than facilitated the wonderful meeting of her dad, Michael Mjelde (whom I consider a celebrity for his lifelong research on "Glory of the Seas") My vote for who deserves greatest credit is Michael Mjelde himself. His humility in accepting that published drawings could possibly be inaccurate has been the greatest contribution to promoting our efforts. By sending me much clearer prints of Glory, he has made everything else, still ongoing, possible 

Vladimir,

Some observations about your tracing of the 1907 San Pedro Bow. Glory's Naval Hoods come to a point a short distance, maybe 18" behind her figurehead. That's to allow room for her flowing scarf held in Athene's extended right hand. While most of her right arm's gone, most of her hand remains. That's probably due to it being carved directly out of her hair bun. 

If you pay careful attention to the two Bobstay mounts on her Hull, you'll see they're just slightly behind the where you drew your curve. The curve on the hull continues through those two Bobstay mounts and then straightens out almost but not quite vertically before it goes into the water. I believe a shadow of a post on the Pier behind her Bow is what has been causing confusion at this junction 

I'm going to buy tracing paper so I can retrace these images more accurately. My original traces were done by holding the print up, tracing it behind and then reversing the photos to get my results.

20210303_183000.jpg

18 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir,

Some observations about your tracing of the 1907 San Pedro Bow. Glory's Naval Hoods come to a point a short distance, maybe 18" behind her figurehead. That's to allow room for her flowing scarf held in Athene's extended right hand. While most of her right arm's gone, most of her hand remains. That's probably due to it being carved directly out of her hair bun. 

If you pay careful attention to the two Bobstay mounts on her Hull, you'll see they're just slightly behind the where you drew your curve. The curve on the hull continues through those two Bobstay mounts and then straightens out almost but not quite vertically before it goes into the water. I believe a shadow of a post on the Pier behind her Bow is what has been causing confusion at this junction 

I'm going to buy tracing paper so I can retrace these images more accurately. My original traces were done by holding the print up, tracing it behind and then reversing the photos to get my results.

20210303_183000.jpg

wow what a close and detailed pic. thanks. you are doing great great  guys.. yes. i see also knee she stands on is stepped not straight line. its complex. Id like to aks a question. i see that ornamentation below figurehead comes damaged to non existent  on spome photographs.im not sure ive seen it closeup on existed photos s ofar...  i hope you guys can restore it it would be a pity - the complete one from launch photo is too far away though. im playing with vector software atm  trying to render those decorations as i have frend who can lasercut it for me... so i will post only if i manage to get something of any interest. have fun researching V. 

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

wow what a close and detailed pic. thanks. you are doing great great  guys.. yes. i see also knee she stands on is stepped not straight line. its complex. Id like to aks a question. i see that ornamentation below figurehead comes damaged to non existent  on spome photographs.im not sure ive seen it closeup on existed photos s ofar...  i hope you guys can restore it it would be a pity - the complete one from launch photo is too far away though. im playing with vector software atm  trying to render those decorations as i have frend who can lasercut it for me... so i will post only if i manage to get something of any interest. have fun researching V. 

Vladimir,

I've enlarged the original 1869 Glory on the Ways scene to get as close as possible to the beautifully carved flowery arch on her Cut Water surmounted by the graceful flowing ribbons embossed on her Naval Hoods above. Considering these were then 24 karat gold plated must have made an impressive sight to see in person. Over her lifetime, almost all of her flowery carvings were washed away from her Cut Water below the Goddess Athene. Her Naval Hoods with their graceful interweaving ribbons survived far better, most likely since they flared out to a degree, being very closely aligned to her Hull before narrowing down to a point behind her Figurehead. You're observation about Athene's mount is to be commended too. Her left foot rests comfortably on a curved ball reminiscent of billet heads on other vessels. Due to a limited amount of images available it's hard to tell for sure. It looks to me like her right foot is lifted almost as if taking a step forward and it rests on the arch of a curving vine below. The two ornamental devices combine in a graceful sideways "s" curve. 

Another good image is of the close up of Glory's Bow from 1900.

My best attempt at capturing these carvings are from 2009. The prow is a bit too aggressive but carving details are fairly accurate to her original appearance.

IMG_0107.JPG.a4c42ad7a43c71042567c2da52ea6b34.jpeg.jpg

IMG_0108.JPG.6aa3c6e545cadedd3fb90113ff910480.jpeg.jpg

20210307_094603.jpg

20210307_094525.jpg

20210301_213836.jpg

20210307_094153.jpg

1 hour ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir,

I've enlarged the original 1869 Glory on the Ways scene to get as close as possible to the beautifully carved flowery arch on her Cut Water surmounted by the graceful flowing ribbons embossed on her Naval Hoods above. Considering these were then 24 karat gold plated must have made an impressive sight to see in person. Over her lifetime, almost all of her flowery carvings were washed away from her Cut Water below the Goddess Athene. Her Naval Hoods with their graceful interweaving ribbons survived far better, most likely since they flared out to a degree, being very closely aligned to her Hull before narrowing down to a point behind her Figurehead. You're observation about Athene's mount is to be commended too. Her left foot rests comfortably on a curved ball reminiscent of billet heads on other vessels. Due to a limited amount of images available it's hard to tell for sure. It looks to me like her right foot is lifted almost as if taking a step forward and it rests on the arch of a curving vine below. The two ornamental devices combine in a graceful sideways "s" curve. 

Another good image is of the close up of Glory's Bow from 1900.

My best attempt at capturing these carvings are from 2009. The prow is a bit too aggressive but carving details are fairly accurate to her original appearance.

IMG_0107.JPG.a4c42ad7a43c71042567c2da52ea6b34.jpeg.jpg

IMG_0108.JPG.6aa3c6e545cadedd3fb90113ff910480.jpeg.jpg

20210307_094603.jpg

20210307_094525.jpg

20210301_213836.jpg

20210307_094153.jpg

Here are 2 port Bow images of Glory's figurehead taken in 1900. While most of her flowery carved arch carvings have been washed away, there's a small amount just under her left foot and some weathered remains a little further back. Her flowing ribbon work has fared much better and remains almost entirely intact. Another observation I've made is that the curving outline of the Cut Water arch isn't equal across the whole distance. It echoes the Naval Hood arch above. It's wider at it base, narrower as it approaches its apex below Athene's feet. Her Naval Hoods moldings don't match each other either. There are 3 moldings below which get thinner as they progress to the tip, while there are only two above. 

The last image is a port view of the outhermost end of Glory's Naval Hoods terminating behind her Figurehead. Quality is poor but comes from a small photo from a contemporary newspaper.

20210208_183428.jpg

20210208_183505.jpg

20200904_210854.jpg

Edited by ClipperFan
Misspelled word

5 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Here are 2 port Bow images of Glory's figurehead taken in 1900. While most of her flowery carved arch carvings have been washed away, there's a small amount just under her left foot and some weathered remains a little further back. Her flowing ribbon work has fared much better and remains almost entirely intact. Another observation I've made is that the curving outline of the Cut Water arch isn't equal across the whole distance. It echoes the Naval Hood arch above. It's wider at it base, narrower as it approaches its apex below Athene's feet. Her Naval Hoods moldings don't match each other either. There are 3 moldings below which get thinner as they progress to the tip, while there are only two above. 

The last image is a port view of the outhermost end of Glory's Naval Hoods terminating behind her Figurehead. Quality is poor but comes from a small photo from a contemporary newspaper.

20210208_183428.jpg

20210208_183505.jpg

20200904_210854.jpg

I found it Richard. Great stuff indeed. Photo with ropes is excellent for upper flower but distorted in length so its difficult to outline it for me.  Your drawings are pretty excellent, i tried today different approach. That grainy photo with complete ornamentations is excellent yet pretty terrible at the same time for outlines picture not only for  high contrast and big big grain, but contrast and light unfortunately shows only enlighten shades of carvings  which is clrearly seen at upper thin leafy ornament. But for the lower it is better thankfulluy. That carving is pretty complex and 3d sort. At the scsle i want to build her /1:72/   i wish just for laser engraving  the way that outline of flower stands out of background, norhing more. So  My  aim was to try take out or differentiate flower from the board to kick off grain and clar the lines its engraved to....so i printed it out and  blackened  background with ink pen by hand and tried to restore flower with white pencil and acrylics and same tome.... In hope that after minimalizing picture back and taking photo rougher edges will go away... Than i pictured photo  with gausian blur in gimp...i have problem with upper flower its not that good and thought it will be easier. but for the lower From this preliminary approach  im quite satisfied though :)

here is it...V.

20210307_225243.jpg

add

2 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

I found it Richard. Great stuff indeed. Photo with ropes is excellent for upper flower but distorted in length so its difficult to outline it for me.  Your drawings are pretty excellent, i tried today different approach. That grainy photo with complete ornamentations is excellent yet pretty terrible at the same time for outlines picture not only for  high contrast and big big grain, but contrast and light unfortunately shows only enlighten shades of carvings  which is clrearly seen at upper thin leafy ornament. But for the lower it is better thankfulluy. That carving is pretty complex and 3d sort. At the scsle i want to build her /1:72/   i wish just for laser engraving  the way that outline of flower stands out of background, norhing more. So  My  aim was to try take out or differentiate flower from the board to kick off grain and clar the lines its engraved to....so i printed it out and  blackened  background with ink pen by hand and tried to restore flower with white pencil and acrylics and same tome.... In hope that after minimalizing picture back and taking photo rougher edges will go away... Than i pictured photo  with gausian blur in gimp...i have problem with upper flower its not that good and thought it will be easier. but for the lower From this preliminary approach  im quite satisfied though :)

here is it...V.

20210307_203220.jpg

Vladimir, that's beautiful work. Now imagine that Black background being highlighted by 24 karat gold leaf. It must have been something to see.

7 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, that's beautiful work. Now imagine that Black background being highlighted by 24 karat gold leaf. It must have been something to see.

Thank you Chris! Background plate was gold leafed? Around carvings? I tohught opposite. As usually like cutty sark. Very interesting. It must have been staggering to see. I would almost faint indeed. :) i bettered the round startibg points but i will nit  touch it anymore  as i will ruin it i know myself. :)

20210307_230805.jpg

Looks like we are progressing on the hood and cheek plate ornamentation, very nicely done.  These details are significant because every clipper was identified by these personal elements.

I hope to get to work on my hull creation very soon.  I'm side tracked with some driveway repaving issues, but not to worry.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

16 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Looks like we are progressing on the hood and cheek plate ornamentation, very nicely done.  These details are significant because every clipper was identified by these personal elements.

I hope to get to work on my hull creation very soon.  I'm side tracked with some driveway repaving issues, but not to worry.

Rob

Im pleased you liked my effort Rob, Im glad to help with my tiny bit if i can, think you will be pleased to escape from renovation to supervise it here , I already had them to get laser engraved so I will show up when testing samples come out. Im thrilled I cant wait for outcome, if there is any likeable we will see. surprise can be positive or rather bland but i am optimistic.

I reworked upper watersplash completely, as I had to move curve of that cheek properly, and prolong it...again, we can see what can perspective do on photos.....its is under i would say about 130 degrees angled and curved in half  from bow towards bowsprit so it is pretty deformated...but I made sure entire ornament follows original place pattern...so from my point i am pretty satisfied atm....upper cheek is withould moldings ....i thoughtit would be proper to install moldings next to the cheek as per observing. so slimmer......but lower flowered pattern I left space for molding to be glued up to the place so it looks wider because of that....

well regarding nameplate, that one is pretty straightforward and easy to make two leafs at the corners i guess but I spent whole day trying to find similar to freehand vintage carving fonts resembling original, finally set on this one, not sure the name but well, its called Calson Antique ... it is not perfect though. At least G. but some letters are pretty close I guess, but i am open to disagreement, itreminds a bit of handcarving of that time...If someone could be of help I would be greatly thankfull...thanks everyone here for contribution, Druxey etc...oh by the way there are in 1:72 and 1:96 samples....

g115.png.c9d34d451bbca26139056d210e722167.pngbitmapghghgh.png.a7742652d23880a0730382ee0ad13952.pngobrazok3.png.bb2ddcb713d4de5846c124aa3a1b3bd9.png

48 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Im pleased you liked my effort Rob, Im glad to help with my tiny bit if i can, think you will be pleased to escape from renovation to supervise it here , I already had them to get laser engraved so I will show up when testing samples come out. Im thrilled I cant wait for outcome, if there is any likeable we will see. surprise can be positive or rather bland but i am optimistic.

I reworked upper watersplash completely, as I had to move curve of that cheek properly, and prolong it...again, we can see what can perspective do on photos.....its is under i would say about 130 degrees angled and curved in half  from bow towards bowsprit so it is pretty deformated...but I made sure entire ornament follows original place pattern...so from my point i am pretty satisfied atm....upper cheek is withould moldings ....i thoughtit would be proper to install moldings next to the cheek as per observing. so slimmer......but lower flowered pattern I left space for molding to be glued up to the place so it looks wider because of that....

well regarding nameplate, that one is pretty straightforward and easy to make two leafs at the corners i guess but I spent whole day trying to find similar to freehand vintage carving fonts resembling original, finally set on this one, not sure the name but well, its called Calson Antique ... it is not perfect though. At least G. but some letters are pretty close I guess, but i am open to disagreement, itreminds a bit of handcarving of that time...If someone could be of help I would be greatly thankfull...thanks everyone here for contribution, Druxey etc...oh by the way there are in 1:72 and 1:96 samples....

g115.png.c9d34d451bbca26139056d210e722167.pngbitmapghghgh.png.a7742652d23880a0730382ee0ad13952.pngobrazok3.png.bb2ddcb713d4de5846c124aa3a1b3bd9.png

Vladimir. Rob

STOP THE PRESSES!

If you want crystal clear clarity of Glory's Bow, get a load of this! I am simply blown away with the remarkable details from Mike's latest e-mail image he shared with me today! Details like her Bowsprit Cap are just so fine. I always thought it was a single piece. Here it can be seen that it's actually three. A wooden center with two Iron strapped ends. Where the Bowsprit enters Glory's Bow always seemed to be a straight line. It's not. The very bottom curves around. Rob, look closely you can now see Goddess Athene's finely formed shoulders, back and even down to the small of her back. This is just such a remarkable image from 1912, I couldn't wait to share it here!

1615287199671_1615286700996_Glory. Williamson 1028-3.jpg

Good work Vladimire.   Where did you get that extremely clear image Rich?  Nice.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

2 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Same image, rotated with white border removed.

20210309_072220.jpg

Richard thanks  i am over the moon to see  this detailed close picture. absolute best regarding view of figurehead and details of bowsprit etc. now this is the view everybody speaks about what it must have been like to see it in person . seems you got some 13 treasured apartement unlocked. clapping hands.  @Thanks Rob .

3 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Richard thanks  i am over the moon to see  this detailed close picture. absolute best regarding view of figurehead and details of bowsprit etc. now this is the view everybody speaks about what it must have been like to see it in person . seems you got some 13 treasured apartement unlocked. clapping hands.  @Thanks Rob .

Rob, this was sent to me by Michael Mjelde in my morning email. He also said it was taken from across the bay as described on page 227 of his first publication "Glory of the Seas." I haven't had a chance to read that page yet.

7 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, this was sent to me by Michael Mjelde in my morning email. He also said it was taken from across the bay as described on page 227 of his first publication "Glory of the Seas." I haven't had a chance to read that page yet.

Rob and everyone else, I have to set the record straight. The latest razor sharp close up of Glory's bow and figurehead Mike so generously shared with me, was taken from the adjacent pier to the north not as I erroneously remembered "from across the bay." My apologies for the mistake.

20210309_143945.jpg

3 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob and everyone else, I have to set the record straight. The latest razor sharp close up of Glory's bow and figurehead Mike so generously shared with me, was taken from the adjacent pier to the north not as I erroneously remembered "from across the bay." My apologies for the mistake.

20210309_143945.jpg

Here's page 227 of Michael Mjelde's first publication "Glory of the Seas." As he said, all 3 scenes are indeed of the same location. A huge and quite distinctive "Seattle Grain Co (?)" storage shed, which has identical 15 pane oblong windows, separated by a small divider in the upper roof level can be seen on the Port side of Glory in all three images. There's also a consistent run of wooden piers below which line what could be a Dry Dock in each picture. That would explain all the long skinny logs floating along her Starboard side. I've sent an email to Mike to see if he can verify my potential Dry Dock conclusion. I'll let you know what his reply is.

Edited by ClipperFan
Grammar correction

12 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Here's page 227 of Michael Mjelde's first publication "Glory of the Seas." As he said, all 3 scenes are indeed of the same location. A huge and quite distinctive "Seattle Grain Co (?)" storage shed, which has identical 15 pane oblong windows, separated by a small divider in the upper roof level can be seen on the Port side of Glory in all three images. There's also a consistent run of wooden piers below which line what could be a Dry Dock in each picture. That would explain all the long skinny logs floating along her Starboard side. I've sent an email to Mike to see if he can verify my potential Dry Dock conclusion. I'll let you know what his reply is.

I found your claim odd, so I reread that last night and could not find the suggestion that the image.....or any of them was taken from across the bay. I concluded just as you have admitted...that it was a mistake.    Isn't that book full of great images, that you just can't find on the internet?   At this point in her conversion...she had been fully caulked and repainted....preparing her for her long voyage and stay in Alaska.  But I don't recall her being placed in a floating dry dock for this work....mmmmm.   No matter

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

I found your claim odd, so I reread that last night and could not find the suggestion that the image.....or any of them was taken from across the bay. I concluded just as you have admitted...that it was a mistake.    Isn't that book full of great images, that you just can't find on the internet?   At this point in her conversion...she had been fully caulked and repainted....preparing her for her long voyage and stay in Alaska.  But I don't recall her being placed in a floating dry dock for this work....mmmmm.   No matter

Rob

Rob, to my knowledge, the only method to correct hogging in wooden ships is to place them in Dry Dock, lay the keel on wooden piers full of sand and once the dock is drained completely, gradually drain sand out of the piers to allow weight of the ship to naturally straighten out the keel. Mike told to me in an email that she had a 16" inch hog, according to dry docking records which was corrected when she was repaired and repainted weeks earlier. My suspicion that this was the Dry Dock location is based mainly on those long skinny logs floating by her Starboard side in the lower picture on page 227. I can find no other logical explanation for those to be there. I have no confirmation of that.