King of the Mississippi by Auger - Artesania Latina - 1/80

I know, right? I used to buy the D engine packs at a local hobby shop when I was like, 10 years old. No one questioned anything, in fact, they were hanging right in the aisle with all of the rocket kits, grab and go! The good days! 

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

Added the masts.

I picked up one of those Dremel drill press units and tried it out on these masts, to add the holes for the rigging lines to pass. I should have bought this thing a long time ago, it’s great!

1210CD32-94BC-4029-9DE2-5AA4AEA409C2.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Trying to epoxy the stovepipe to the stove before installing the roof of the wheelhouse. Figured it was easier this way.

E54A4216-FC13-499E-B75E-5B84963B71D3.jpeg

Pilot house installed and made some small mods to correct my mistake regarding the pilot house door placement.

D301E750-5593-4AD7-A432-7957A6D172D8.jpeg

BDC3D47E-8987-4A8C-82D2-7E9329F7C9F3.jpeg

0F02A2FA-3AA3-4DF0-BEB4-9FAAE73886B2.jpeg

1EC02044-3F3E-4F9E-ADA4-3FBB90FDD65F.jpeg

…and received my L1 attempt rocket. 😁

great company, BTW. They worked with me to get it over here and it was packaged very well. Highly recommended.

AD8A4640-84DE-4FCB-A231-189B9053DE13.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Good vacation spot? Perros-Guirec in Bretagne (The Coast of the Pink Granite). Beautiful place.

I’m a beach lover, hiker, surfer, performance kite flyer, and I had a ball out there. Flew my kites, hiked and even kayaked the channel with my wife. Good times! Be sure to catch the boat out to the islands with a good telephoto lens. You’ll get some really good nature shots.

Edited by Auger

9 hours ago, Prowler901 said:

Beautiful work on your paddle wheeler.  Nice job with the pilot house.  That wasn't a mistake.  You model is now unique. 👍 😁

That's my excuse too, and I'm sticking to it - it's the differences that make it yours alone, amd stand out from the rest.  Good catch!

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Just gave a good dusting to the very first kit I ever built. The AL Bounty Jolly Boat. To recap everything that was lost in the Great MSW Server Crash, my wife asked me to build her a nice wooden ship for the office since I could build RC aircraft. I told her I didn’t know if I could do such a thing and asked for time to try my hand at a small kit, to see if I even liked it. Well, she approved of my handy-work which lead to her Constructo Enterprise, which she picked out from every kit on the market at the time because she found it to look, “elegant” (circa 2009).

So now, whenever I buy new kits it’s, “her fault”, because she put me on to this in the first place. But I don’t hear too much complaining, hence this current Mississippi build, it’s her choice too as I stated. But my kits are on deck! 

14578D3D-E854-4222-BDA8-A407465D2D7F.jpeg

C61D6836-791F-4F66-BFD7-A5B469065756.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Might I add that her request plunged me into a whole new world of research. Sure, I was in the U.S. Navy, but it was nothing like this. My hands were full of rags, Brasso and all the gear I had to haul out to the aircraft and back; not blisters and Marlin Spikes. In high seas, we stayed below, not called up on deck to climb masts and adjust rigging with no protective equipment. I can’t even imagine what those guys considered routine. Can you imagine all of the lawsuits and letters to Congressmen these days?!

”Two Years Before the Mast”, a book offered by my late Grandfather when I set-out to sea for the first time changed my view of my own personal cruise experience. As I laid in my rack in the morning ( I worked midnights ) I realised that I didn’t have it so bad. Looking back, maybe that was his point.

Edited by Auger

On 3/15/2023 at 7:58 AM, Auger said:

…and built one of my rockets while things were drying on the riverboat. 😁 Too bad France is limited to 500ft AGL without submitting a NOTAM to the Direction General of Civil Aviation, but being a pilot myself, I understand. I have an L1 rocket coming in soon and hope to get out to the California desert this fall to certify L1. Then on to L2, etc

I built Estes rockets when I was a kid (decades ago) - fond memories.

Completed Build:   King of the Mississippi by Cleat

Your there Cleat, both of you, your logs are so impressive.  Auger your work is amazing.  Thank you both for your wonderful logs.:cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

3 hours ago, Cleat said:

Your build looks great.  Your craftsmanship is impressive - it is a level I hope to achieve some day.  

Thank you for the glowing compliment, but I’ve been tagging along your log and others as well. There’s always a good idea here and there and some I incorporate into my own build. So you, my friend, are an inspiration for me as well! 

2 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

Your there Cleat, both of you, your logs are so impressive.  Auger your work is amazing.  Thank you both for your wonderful logs.:cheers:

Thank you for your kind words. Cheers!

The camera shows all the little mistakes, changes and oops… still working on trying to clean some of those things up. I’ve stopped using CA due to the irreparable traces it leaves when things don’t work out. Those drill holes to the left would have cleaned up nicely with the filler, but the CA left its scars.

7EEDC2DB-7607-4B0C-9894-A31CBE12B77B.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Close ups like this are so enlarged every little imperfection is shown. I see that in my build and hopfully I'll do better with the next one. 

Someone standing 3 feet away is highly unlikely to spot those.  When it comes down to it we are own worst critics!

1 hour ago, Auger said:

I’ve stopped using CA due to the irreparable traces it leaves when things don’t work out.

Something I've told myself to do too!

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.