King of the Mississippi by Auger - Artesania Latina - 1/80

As in other builds, I ran into the problem of the steam stack bases not matching up to the pre-cut holes in the deck. So I had to do as others have done and file the base down until it matched up.

3E2CF2C9-709B-4CBA-9A54-D67080DEF760.jpeg

819EA8C7-EB27-4296-9D78-E73094E6F7AF.jpeg

F17AE0A6-20FD-429C-A131-8616E385AC40.jpeg

3E7DBF83-347E-42F9-B781-5C2AB6D2FA7E.jpeg

8517AF75-FB56-47A3-AD02-67D4AD83B185.jpeg

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

I believe that I can correct this with the stack rigging by adding a little tension to the bow-side rigging.

A0A3FF36-E7C2-47A9-9285-FD23C43FC2EC.jpeg

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

So at this point I’ve noticed a few flaws with this kit. The decks don’t really line up in terms of the pre-cut holes for the masts and stacks. The base plates for the main steam stacks within the second deck aren’t even close and for me, were useless. I ended up using epoxy to seat the main stacks to a part of these seating plates. Furthermore, the fantail stack holes don’t line up so there’s a lot of fine cutting and filing of the third deck holes to get the stacks vertical. Also, there’s a lot of interference between the first and second decks when installing the fantail stacks, which requires some whittling of the stack bases in order to get them to install correctly. I used some clamps to hold the stacks towards aft while the glue was drying.

…and my fingers got spray painted today so they look the way they do.

08E1AA48-6E55-4537-98F4-1673389C1E9F.jpeg

75FEDD70-2998-41A3-B22A-21F34D7FCD42.jpeg

96FEA3C5-E8C5-435F-89F3-D943B613022C.jpeg

18A46B7F-F2C3-4025-9CFA-EFD2A2774143.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Started measuring and cutting the railings. I made a little jig of sorts to keep things even across the deck. I think it’s self explanatory; it worked out pretty well. Obviously some finishing required, just waiting for the wood glue to dry.

E0E40575-F835-406D-9E74-7C014502D63B.jpeg

D91B06B9-4B9C-4B4C-95DC-63CAB4DBB536.jpeg

7332A952-F02E-4C19-8755-B2E415089B4A.jpeg

34C5CCD2-9481-4360-9447-A92E21D2D78E.jpeg

Edited by Auger
Typo

The nice thing about the spacer is that I can remove it straight out with tweezers while the glue is still wet and move on to the next…

239506AB-4C37-4184-BBF5-134E5D369FDF.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Also, picked up one of these off amazon and am really liking it.

Ha-haha… have to keep reminding myself that this is super up-close. People won’t see that! 

D03F9D03-2507-42AF-AC2C-A730BF2B05AE.jpeg

572D6565-39F9-4082-BCE8-22BEF92434D6.jpeg

Edited by Auger

So, I’ve started the balusters, the real test of one’s patience. But I believe I’ve found my workflow and things are starting to move a little more quickly; I’m happy with the result so far. Tricky little bendy things they are…

excuse the wet glue in the first photo. Was looking for my routine and things got messy on the first part. Some sanding to follow.

20230421_144607.jpeg

20230421_165829.jpeg

20230421_165936.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Meet Vladimir and his spiritual advisor Eric. He’s been confined to the hospital tank because each time I introduce him to the other tanks, he attacks the other fish.

IMG_0394.jpeg

Your build is looking great.  What kind of glue did you use for the white railing installation.  I like the brass railing on the short stairs, it is a nice addition.  It looks like you pinned the 1st deck railings; I've been debating if I want 2 or 3 horizontal railings (yours looks good). 

Edited by Cleat

Completed Build:   King of the Mississippi by Cleat

1 hour ago, Cleat said:

Your build is looking great.  What kind of glue did you use for the white railing installation.  I like the brass railing on the short stairs, it is a nice addition.  It looks like you pinned the 1st deck railings; I've been debating if I want 2 or 3 horizontal railings (yours looks good). 

Thank you very much.

For the white railings I used my model rocket fin approach. I use epoxy on either bottom-end of the rails (tiny bit added with a toothpick) then a dab of CA to the bottom center. I place the white rail onto the wood support below with tweezers then hold it with my finger for about 15 seconds or so till the CA holds the railing in place, at the angle I want. When the epoxy sets, they’re quite strong. Just need to go back and sand a little to knock down the epoxy shine. Works well.

For the first deck wood railings, you are correct, I used trenails. I did so for added strength because when I manipulate the model I don’t have to worry about popping one of the rails off. They’re way stronger with the trenails.

For those who read this log, install the ladder stairs between the 2nd and 3rd decks before beginning the railings. Work the model from the inside-out.

Edited by Auger