New member from portsmouth

Andre1967

Hi Everyone my names Andre im from Portsmouth uk, i am very much new to model ship building, im enjoying the ups and downs of constructing my hms victory, this is a Deagostini kit that i got very cheap on Ebay that someone started the planking and abandoned it. I threw away that effort, replaced the false keel and ribs and started again. i have enclosed a picture of my progress so far after 2 years work on and off[ due to covid i had more time to spend on her] I also have an occre Montanes and AL Hermione and a del prado bounty to build so dry dock is quite full, although i dont know if i will get to the del prado model, the parts look fairly poor and again i got from ebay from a charity shop so the money went to a good cause. Anyway im cutting my teeth on the victory and learning technique and ability as i go so hopefully future models will be much improved. Thanks for accepting me into the forum, i hope i can be a productive member, cheers

20200913_225018.jpg

Your Victory looks great! Are you sure you are a newbie!? Welcome.  I am originally from Portsmouth, Viginia where there is a great maritime tradition including being the location of the Norfolk Naval Shipyard.

I have been a follower of this website for many years and build ship models in my very limited spare time (busy physician with a big family)  I have not had time to post a build log but hopefully will do so when I retire.

Its a wonderful hobby!

hi hoocat, thanks thats very kind of you, and thankyou for the welcome, its a  very addictive hobby, i did have a go at a mantua "golden star" before the victory and really messed up the planking so i really am a beginner, but i have a much better understanding of whats required now.I would like to tour norfolk shipyard one day, i always fancied visiting the southern states.

Welcome aboard, Andre.    For a first model, that looks impressive and shows way beyond beginner skills. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi mtaylor thanks for the welcome, to be honest i do find myself staring at the model alot, this hobby gives such sense of achievement, there are parts that i wish i had done better but my intent is to carry that over to other projects, so even though there are faults the Victory is my first love lol, i have seen many youtube videos of builds that i am just amazed at the level of detail and accuracy. i have been looking at build diaries on here and the skill level is so good, i must be like a leech and absorb it all. all the best Andre

Welcome to Model Ship World Andre.  You are doing a good job on your Victory and I feel you have a good approach on moving ahead to your other kits.  I hope to see more pictures of your progress on your Victory.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Half your luck, Andre, living in Portsmouth. So if you're unsure of a detail you can just pop down to the naval base and check it on-site! When you've finished Victory maybe you should consider making the Warrior and Mary Rose . . .

Hi John thankyou mate. Hi Louie, thats true i have seen her many times in my lifetime since a child, and seen the changes to her. i decided to go with the yellow ochre on my kit, not the new colour but i wont go into why, dont wanna open that can of worms lol, looking forward to her getting full rig back not sure when that will be. i bought a one year pass for the dockyard just before covid hit so not been able to use it, i want to go back as soon as i can

Welcome to MSW and good luck on the builds, i enjoyed my Victory build, as with many others, so there is a lot of advice around the site

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I've visited the Victory twice - once in 1973 and once in 2009. I missed the Warrior - we had a choice and decided on the "harbour cruise" - a mistake in retrospect. And the Mary Rose had just been locked away while they built a new building to display her in. But they compensated by displaying an enormous number of artefacts found on board, so we didn't miss out completely.

The redback is pretty much equivalent to the black widow - apparently a variant of the same species. The red mark varies from individual to individual - sometimes it's not very obvious.

Which spider is more deadly, a black widow or a red back spider? - Quora

They're pretty tiny - about the size of the pic above. We see them a fair bit. They like to hide in dark crannies - there's an old song  called Redback on the Toilet Seat. I had a mate who woke up with redback bites all over his stomach (it'd been in his bed and must have panicked). He got sick but survived ok. But apparently you can die from anaphylaxis - the poison is more powerful than that of the funnelweb, but doesn't act as fast - 15 minutes for a funnelweb. Then there's the white-tip, whose bite makes your flesh rot, though recent information suggests that's not true after all . . .

You sure you want to come here?:D 

Wow! For a novice and beginner that Victory is a huge project and loooks great! If you start a build log in the appropriate section we can all follow along with the rest of the build.

• 2 weeks later...