In "How to Build First-Rate Ship Models from Kits" , Ben Lankford mentions that Basswood will sand away before most wood fillers.  He suggests using vinyl spackling compound such as DAP instead.  Just do not wash off because water will remove the filler.

Has anyone had any experience or thoughts about this?  At the very least, I would think that you could not use it places that are to be finished, i.e., surface areas.

Is there a specific wood filler that is recommended for use with basswood, or, for that matter, other woods used in model ship building? Is there a filler or technique that would make sure surface finish is consistent?

Thank You,

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Richard - I have had success with a product called Patch-N-Paint for filling the hull and painting.  It is a product I first discovered when removing wallpaper and painting plaster walls.   It dries hard and sands to a good finish.  It worked well when finishing the basswood hull on Bluenose.  The label describes it as a lightweight spackle and it comes pre-mixed.

Applied with a heavy hand:

post-547-0-90638700-1371233276_thumb.jpg

After sanding:

post-547-0-31702200-1371233374_thumb.jpg

The finished and painted hull

post-547-0-13793800-1371233566_thumb.jpg

I haven't had any problems with it in the 4 years since the hull was painted - nor in the 10 years since I started painting the walls of the house!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

I use  Ronseal multi purpose wood filler. It is water based and I find it perfect for wooden model applications (Have even used it to simulate deck caulking!), as it can be thinned into a paste using water - plus it is very easy to sand. I find standard olde-type filler too hard - almost like concrete when set.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

R:

Mixing my own appeals to me. It would be nice to find a use for all that sawdust besides clogging this shop vac filter. I will try this checking closely on how it looks when stained.

B:

Does the patch and paint stain well? I would like for any solution to blend in well with the rest of the planking when stained.

C:

Could not fnd Ronseal in in the U.S. some of the reviews discussed painting over it but did not mention staining so same concern as above.

Thanks all for your ideas.

Richard

Richard

Richard,

If using a commercial product, be sure to get wood filler, not putty.  The putty never really dries and hardens.  I'd use this type if painting over it.

Spackling can work between the 1st and 2nd layer.. However, I'm not sure of the longevity and it doesn't like having pins/nails pushed into it.   For the record, I used this on my Constellation in a couple of places as I was too lazy to run to the store and by some filler.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Richard,

I think it depends on what your goal is. Can you give us a picture of what you are working with and trying to accomplish?

Do you want a smooth surface to do your second planking? Based on your response of being interested in sawdust filler and your question of staining patch and paint it sounds to me like you finished planking and are searching for a stainable filler? The wood dust is most likely your best bet if all you want is to fill minor gaps in the planking, if you need to "float" it over the hull and then stain, my opinion is your asking for trouble. Rockler, Woodcraft and Homesteadfinishing.com(S) all have sandable fillers as well as the local hardware stores. You will need to experiment with the right combination of filler and stain though. In my experience they dont always take the stain the same as the wood.

If you re going to paint like Bob did (nice finish Bob) then a light weight filler may be the way to go. I have seen drywallers use a light water based topcoat for patching and touchups, they will smooth it on and use a wet sponge with most of the water wrung out and smooth the surface with that. Might be something to experiment with.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Now that I think about it, white glue and sawdust may be harder (sanding wise) than basswood...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am working on the frame for the Syren. 

Having learned the lesson, "measure twice, cut once" a little late I have spots to fill.  This made me consider that I will more than likely also have spots to fill on the planking also... unless I get a lot better, a lot quicker.

So, there are multiple places where I expect to use filler to smooth out some rough handwork.

Finishing does not appear to be important on the frame, but I do not want to sand away the frame while working on the filler, i.e., frame is softer than filler.

Since there is only one layer of planking, I want to have the filler accept stain so it blends with the rest of the wood.

I appreciate all your help.  The last time I attempted this was almost 40 years ago before the internet and the lack of a support group showed in the results.

Richard

Richard

I use Elmer's wood filler with bass wood and they seem to sand at the same rate.  Elmer's is water based and can be thinned and painted on if needed.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Go look at my Malabar Jr.  I just posted pictures of the hull after filling with Elmer's.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Nice,

I Iooked at your Malabar. I see now what you mean.  I will try my hand at making my own filler.  Do you build in woods other than bass wood? If so, do you use sawdust from those woods to make your own filler?

Richard

90% of my builds is bass wood.  But I did not make it clear, I use "Elmer's Wood Filler".    It is a water based filler and comes as a paste.  I use it straight for large fills.  I also put some in a small jar and add water to the consistency of heavy cream.  This I paint on to take care of the smaller scratches. 

Bob

Bob,

does it stain smoothly with the the bass wood?

Richard

Richard

I've never tried.  I tend to paint my boats.  The container says to test the stain on a scrap piece.  But since it is made by Elmer's I would expect it to stain the same as Elmer's white glue and sawdust.

Bob

Bob,

you are right about testing. I was in the hobby store and they had bags of Bass pieces on sale and I'll start by using some of that and see what happens, then the next step will be to try on some wood from the kit.

Thanks,

Richard