I'm working on HMS Snake in Lego,not the usual around these parts, I know. I'm trying to finalize everything on deck, so I can move on to the rigging and eventually be done. One thing I can't figure out though is where would the binnacle cabinet have been? In images and drawing I can't seem to find reference to it. There had to be one, and it had to be in view of the helm but between the wheel and the mizzen there doesn't seem space enough. On brigs of the class it takes the place of the mizzen, so what did they do for a binnacle on Snake? I suppose I could just omit it and pretend like that doesn't bother me, but I'd rather not. Thanks in advance for any help or advice to be offered.

Dave

Images to show that this isn't your average "Look, I made a Lego Pirate Ship"

0904201651_zpsjcuuypxb.jpg

0904201651b_zpszy4eoyxo.jpg

Not all binnacles were fixed so it could have been located somewhere around the helm.   They also came in different sizes and configurations so some might be only as large as the compass rose.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

29 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Not all binnacles were fixed so it could have been located somewhere around the helm.   They also came in different sizes and configurations so some might be only as large as the compass rose.  

Like on Constellation? 😉 It's a solution I suppose, and I've used it before, but I really wanted a full on cabinet for this one. Thanks for the input though, it's worth considering :).

IMG_0950_zpsdpo2ihv0.jpg

20161214_032933_zpso5rjudmf.jpg

Dave

Yes, like the Constitution.  You do have a problem with room for a full size binnacle don't you.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

I was surfing build logs for Snake the other day and remember an exchange which didn't settle in as concerning till I had long since walked away. Now that I have a moment to sit and ponder my model, I'm worried about what was mentioned, but with the many pages and pages to thumb through cannot find the conversation I'm referring to. One user asked about some rings which appear at the base of the main mast on one of set of plans, but not another and wondered if they'd really need them in the end. Another user came along and said, that he did need them on his build and that the first users should go back and add them before it's too late. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I'm afraid that the limitation of my chosen medium may not afford me the space I need to fit such rings. In any case, i need to either come up with a clever alternative, or force these things in before building up any further lest I have to tear her apart later, when I realize the deficiency.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:16 PM, jwvolz said:

For what it's worth on my Cruizer build. 

I don;t know if it's exactly the point you were trying to make, but this did make me re-think and it helped, thanks. The cabinet I had built was very large, suitable for a ship of the line really, and it didn't need to be so. There's middle ground between a pedestal style and something like you see on Victory. so I put this together. I may revisit it, but for now I'm on to something with a more size appropriate cabinet. :)

1105202300.jpg?width=450&height=278&fit=

1105202302a.jpg?width=450&height=278&fit

I’m pretty late here but your lego model is awesome. I’m assuming you didn’t get any of this from a kit, which is even more impressive. Glad you figured out a solution for the binnacle cabinet, it looks great!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)