I need help with ship hull - cardboard build

I'm building the flying dutchman using cardboard 

I already finished the frame and bulkheads placing 

I'm now working on the hull and I'm still not sure what to do next 

I just cut a large piece of cardboard and placed it horizontally (like shown in the picture) and I'm planning to add lot of layers of white paper and smooth to give it a nice look 

So I've been searching in and outside this forum about cardboard builds to get ideas and every time I see them using something putty looking 

I wonder what it is ? 

Is it just Pva glue ? 

If it's something else what's it's name and if there's a way for it to be homemade ?

Also if you know any trick or techniques working with cardboard please share with me hahaha 

A lot of questions 😭😂

20201026_153454.jpg

Current build Flying Dutchman

28 minutes ago, AB-ROYCE said:

I see them using something putty looking 

I wonder what it is ? 

I believe you are looking for something called spackle (butI imagine there are alternatives). This is avery neat cardboard build that I have been following:

and I think it shows what you are looking for on the second page.

57 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I believe you are looking for something called spackle (butI imagine there are alternatives). This is avery neat cardboard build that I have been following:

and I think it shows what you are looking for on the second page.

thanks, 

me too hahah i've been following this build as well it looks awesome  

but unfortunately it's  not available where i live 

Edited by AB-ROYCE

4 minutes ago, AB-ROYCE said:

but unfortunately it's available where i live

Spackle is commonly used for drywall repair in homes - is there any sort of hardware store in your area that could maybe recommend an alternative? I'm out of my element, but maybe plaster of paris could work as well? There are some do it yourself recipes that I saw only that mentioned being able to be sanded with a fine grit sandpaper. I don't know the lifespan of it though, hopefully someone else will have some insight.

Look up papier-mache. I remember building model railroad tunnels with the stuff. I forget exactly what's in it, but it may have been flour. Big issues is, if it's not sealed, the bugs will feast on it.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The putty typically used in wood models is wood filler. But regardless of whether you use wood filler or drywall compound (spackle), it's essential to get most of the hull form in place beforehand -- fillers and spackles are not intended to fill in large areas. Your idea about using paper strips is a good one -- if you check some of the card model builds, such as those featuring Shipyard kits, you'll see how paper is used both as the outer skin and for forming an underlayment, or base layer. Paper is a very versatile medium -- don't be afraid to experiment and see what works well for you. 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

7 minutes ago, Canute said:

Look up papier-mache. I remember building model railroad tunnels with the stuff. I forget exactly what's in it, but it may have been flour. Big issues is, if it's not sealed, the bugs will feast on it.

i will test it out in a small cardboard sheet and see the result before applying it, i aslo found multiple recipes for other things but i'm not sure which one i should use, i think i just need to test out things and see what works best 

thanks 

5 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

The putty typically used in wood models is wood filler. But regardless of whether you use wood filler or drywall compound (spackle), it's essential to get most of the hull form in place beforehand -- fillers and spackles are not intended to fill in large areas. Your idea about using paper strips is a good one -- if you check some of the card model builds, such as those featuring Shipyard kits, you'll see how paper is used both as the outer skin and for forming an underlayment, or base layer. Paper is a very versatile medium -- don't be afraid to experiment and see what works well for you. 

oh okay , 

and yeah i agree about getting the hull in the right place from the start but working with cardboard it's little bit hard to do so 

Hi, after reading through the options you've been given I'll add mine if I may.

Any household filler would suffice, I've found powder that you mix preferable to ready mixed as you'd be able to get the consistency to suit your needs. 

From childhood modelling papier mache I used was any cheap paper(newspapers) and wallpaper paste. 

Good luck with your build👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Yes, papier-maché is paper mixed with wall-paper glue or a similar cellulose glue. Wall-paper glue contains fungicides and bactericides to discourage bugs from munching it. It's easy to make papier-maché oneself, but you can also buy it as flocks in DIY-stores or from model-railway suppliers, where it is used in landscaping. It can be also made kind of in situ by applying strips of paper soaked in the glue onto the basic hull structure to build up the shape. Be aware, however, that the glue shrinks on drying - after all its 95% or so water. One should always work on both sides of the hull at the same time in order to avoid distortion. In situ papier-maché would not sand very well, as it is not actually 'maché' meaning that it is not munched. A layer of real papier-maché would help, particularly when some plaster of Paris has been added to the mass.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg