Which kits have the best instructions?

ortho85

I'm about 1/4 way through my first build - AL Swift, labelled "14+"!  In retrospect I would not have chosen this as a starting point because the seemingly extensive instructions turned out to be severely lacking (for a beginner).

I plan to continue with this hobby, but need better printed guidance. So, which similar kit manufacturers have good instructions?

Or are they all as bad?

Cheers

Hello ortho85,

The first kit that comes to mind and one that I think you may find great support among members here is the Brig Syren by Chuck Passaro through Model Shipways.  The price right now is great and he is often poking his head into those who build this kit to give support plus the kit comes with a practicum (step by step instructions).  

Brian

Thanks for this info.  Anyone know if I can I buy Model Shipways or Blue Jacket in Australia?

Edited by ortho85

i did a search online and couldnt find anything in oz

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

I think it all depends on your experience level, as was pointed out, if you've "Been around the block" a few times, a few numbers and pictures is all you may need, which opens up a large part of the model ship kit range. But if you're just starting out, either Modellers Shipyard (as pointed out by Brian), or Model Shipways(Expo) (consider the recent releases designed by our very own Chuck) have excellent instructions. I think you might find that in the future market forces my dictate that all manufacturers of kits revisit their instruction manual department and upgrade what they supply as instructions.

As for MS/ME, they are very friendly, so don't hesitate to contact them about shipping to Aussie... also you may want to track down forum member "Meredith" She's working on a couple kits from them and she might be able to offer some advice on how she managed. She has a couple of build logs around here.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Ortho85,

If you manage to avoid some of the worst kits (and their horrible instructions) and stick with this hobby, you'll find that what matters most is a good set of PLANS; these are the detailed sections, elevations and profiles of a ship that are mostly drawn in a relevant building scale. As you gain experience you'll not need "instructions" very much (or at all) and you will know the techniques and sequences involved in building a good kit. In my opinion, the best kit plans come from Caldercraft (UK), Victory Models (Amati/Italy) and Model Shipways (ModelExpo). With regard to instructions specifically, there is "no contest" as any of Chuck Passaro's kits available from MS are the best. I have yet to build a Euromodel kit but I understand their plans are very good.

Hope this information helps. I know all of the manufacturers mentioned here will ship to Oz. I think both Caldercraft and Victory Models have distribution there.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I started with a Modellers Ship Yard "Schooner for Port Jackson" - I purchased the DVD to go along with it. I set up the laptop right next to my work table and had the dvd running almost constantly. It was a great help for a first build. I don't know how many times I hit the rewind.. play... rewind.. play.... and swapped between the DVD and this forum and lots of reference build logs.

I started a log here and if I got stuck - there was always help from other members. I am especially grateful to "Jim Ladd" aka john for his help with my mystery lines - when it came to rigging. There were three lines that just magically appeared on the DVD and instructions with absolutely no reference at all to where/how they were tied off etc.

The dvd was a great help - AND I finished the boat. I am still happy with it - of course there are things I could have done better with more experience - but its still a respectable model for a first attempt.

My second boat was a model Shipways 18th Century long boat - with great instructions by Chuck. I made this almost exclusively without help from the forum - as the forum was down for most of my build.

I was/am also making a Model shipways Syren - another great set of instructions by Chuck - and a build log here by him (or was on forum 1) and HEAPS of other memberswith build logs of Syren with help and inspirations and tips.

I did find Model Shipways shipping to be expensive - and no options for different services/shippers - so I used my US address (get them online) and this made the shipping VERY fast and a lot cheaper (about 1/2 the price).

The Aussie firm of Modellers Shipyard is most helpful and their own line of ships/plans appear to me to be of really good quality (I am a novice!!) with little experience of many other brands to compare to.

http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/

The only other online site I have used to purchase kits is

http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/index.htm

I purchased a "Supply" from them - haven't started it yet - so I cant really comment on the instructions. Very helpful person on the phone (he rang me about my online order - so good customer service - and pretty good prices)

I am currently building another Model-Expo/Shipways kit at the minute - A Bounty Launch. Plans are great/clear - instructions not too bad - but they don't mention the 1/4 deck at all.. so the plans were good enough to make it. I have come across one small problem with the instructions.. but its fixable.

So I guess poor instructions are not so important when you get more boats under your belt - there is always this forum to get you out of trouble!!

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

My ship, the san francisco, also by AL, is my first build and it has been both a blessing and a curse. I had woodworking experience but no ship knowledge, none at all.

The instructions are written in 6 languages so that works for most but they assume I know more than i do. Also, their directions are sparse... for example for planking... 'go ahead and apply planks to the hull and sand when finished". One sentence oh boy! That one sentence took me weeks and weeks to accomplish. Plus their pictures don't necessarily match and 3 views of the same part show different solutions. Sounds horrible right?

Well, not really because it forced me to push myself, figure it out myself and lean on fellow modelers here on this site and that is the blessing part. So, I learned, maybe better and deeper than if they had held my hand.

All in all, a great beginner ship that was at the beginning far over my head :) .... not now tho!

Edited by lamarvalley

Buy the kit you fancy, because it doesn't matter which kit has the best instructions.. There are so many good books out there and here at the forum there are a lot of people willing to help or guide you trough your build. 

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis

I only have experience of Caldercraft kits but I cant fault the later kits like the Badger for drawings and instructions.

Norman

Edited by normanh

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to infer that you are a native English speaker. So I would suggest that your first priority is a Model ship company that is Headquartered in an English speaking company. I have had experience with Italian & Spanish instructions that were supposedly translated. In our Hobby it is hard enough with all the unique terms, if you are new to them, without have to deal with a poor translation. Those companies have been listed here.

I also find that the Spanish & Italian manufacturers tend to assume a certain level of experience. So the detail is not there. Also Once you have found the manufacturer that fits your skills and the type of ship you want to build. See if there is a practicum available. I include in this all of Chuck's models. Since the detail in his instructions is wonderful.

Have fun!

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

A cousin of mine got me started with model building.  Before he passed away a few years ago he told me that he found Mamoli to have the easiest instructions.  I've never purchased a kit from them, so I can't verify his comment.

I have a collection of Al kits and am working on two as I write and the instructions are very ordinary with so many steps not even mentioned in the build. It really is akin to a scratch build.

Having said that, I enjoy the challenge but I also have extensive experience with woodworking and scratch-building.

If you ever wish to discuss the AL kits or if I can help in any small way, feel free to pm me any time and since I travel to Brisbane occasionally, I'd be more than happy to catch up if that's of any help also. I visit my brother on the Southside (another mad modeller) and my son (mechanic and drag racer) in the Western suburbs whenever I do any shopping in Brisvegas.

This site seems to be one of the best I have ever encountered as far as assistance goes and I enjoy the way these people don't bag other modeller's builds, so from what I have seen here, there is no shortage of information and help.

Errol (way out west).

I've bought years ago a kit (victory midship section) from Corel and it had a spiral bound book with the translation in Dutch written by modeler who actually build the ship. The build was a breeze. So I guess it also depends on your importer. Is he only pushing boxes or is he really supporting modelers and the brand he's representing? 

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

I had also never had serious problems with Mamoli drawings. They use a different approach to most other manufactures so it takes some time getting used to it.

Waiting in the wings: