Electric sword or reciprocating saw

does anyone know of an alternative to the microlux brand? I simply do not want to buy their special transformer which they say is essential.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Make-MicroLux-Sword-Saw

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

39 minutes ago, stuglo said:

does anyone know of an alternative to the microlux brand? I simply do not want to buy their special transformer which they say is essential.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Make-MicroLux-Sword-Saw

Unless you have some reason to need a power saw for the type of work this thing targets, I would say invest in a nice manual alternative.   There are some very good razor saws out there that will do the work this thing does in half the time,  half the clean up and twice the accuracy.

Edited by Justin P.

I way curious, as I was not aware of this implement with the two blades working against each other and checked it out. The instructions (https://www.micromark.com/Instructions/81858 sword saw REV 12-16.pdf) are a bit more moderate and state that their transformer is 'recommended'. So I would suspect that any electronically regulated transformer with 12 V operating voltage and 2.5 A output minimum would do.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Stuglo,

Micromark has its place as their catalog is great to see what is available either through them, or through a search on one's own to find the same thing and sometimes, not always,  at better prices.   I have been to their facility in the past when you could shop at their store and at that time at least,  they did not make anything, but were strictly distributors.   When in doubt about buying gadgets from any supplier, this site is wonderful in lending experience of others that have tried these gadgets.  Some worked out, others not so much.  

Regarding the saw, where would you use it in the model construction?   

Allan  

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 12/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, Justin P. said:

Unless you have some reason to need a power saw for the type of work this thing targets, I would say invest in a nice manual alternative.   There are some very good razor saws out there that will do the work this thing does in half the time,  half the clean up and twice the accuracy.

Have several but the thin ones are "bendy". Saw one used by Kenny on video  and had fantasy

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section