Warped false keel on new model - moved to proper forum area by moderator.

Is there someone that can help me with what to do with a warped false keel.?
I just unboxed my new project, the Buccaneer from occre, as soon as I released the false keel I saw it warp right before my eyes. 
I have built several models to date and have never encountered this.

Please help

Hello @Froggyman,

This section of the forum is only for new member introductions. You will have more success in finding an answer if you were to start a build log and post this question in the correct spot. 

check out my build on the Flying Fish to see how I handled a really warped false keel. 

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

I've moved this to the proper forum.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 hours ago, Froggyman said:

Is there someone that can help me with what to do with a warped false keel.?
I just unboxed my new project, the Buccaneer from occre, as soon as I released the false keel I saw it warp right before my eyes. 
I have built several models to date and have never encountered this.

Please help

I am absolutely new to building wooden model ships, but I faced the same problem as you, only with one of the frames. Badly warped.

My solution ended up being this.

Soak it in water for half a day.

Lay it on a newspaper. Warp facing up.

Place the paper and frame on the grill plate in your oven.

Place another grill on top.

Weigh it down with something. I used some metal wire to tie the two grills tightly together in several places around the frame, thus forcing the frame to sit straight.

Set the oven for something like 60 degrees celcius for an hour or two.

If it is a warm air oven it is even better.

My frame ended up straight.

Hello,

This is normal, as wood moves, and changes shape, and always will, with changes in humidity and temperature.  The wood fiber is like a sponge, absorbing moisture in the air.

Consider first adding blocks in the corners where the bulkheads meet the centerboard, then blocks at the outer edge of the bulkhead.  Size blocks using the dimension between each bulkhead at the centerboard.  This process will straighten a bowed centerboard.

Best of luck with your “Flying Fish”.

-Rich

CC9FA8AF-21A4-475A-8BC6-132AB6F3F4B3.jpeg