US Brig Niagara by rfolsom - Model Shipways

Your Niagara is looking great so far. Everything is very clean looking. For the yellow I used Tamiya's spray dunkelgelb (dark yellow), but that was just my own personal taste in the color. I would also agree with Rich about the cap rail. Sweet looking build so far.

BTW, do you have a log for your Cutty Sark? Inquiring minds want to see....  :D

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks, Patrick;  I'll have to check out the Tamiya color;  the yellow ochre in Model Shipway's paint set is a little too dark for me.  I do have a build log for the Cutty Sark on this site, I started it when I started the Niagaras';  but have been working on the CS for about 15 mos. longer, so had to play catch-up with the photos.

Hi, I just found your log.  I'll be following it closely as this will be my next build after finishing the Morgan.  Looks good, keep it up.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 1 month later...

I will have to echo Rich's statements for my post. Your gunports look especially clean and neat.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Good morning Bob,

Your build is looking clean and sharp.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Inner bulwark planking almost complete.  All I have left is the planking from the bow to the first fore gunport edging strip, plus the red topmost stringers.  I found out that, for things to line up with the plans, I needed to make my topmost green planks 1/16" wide instead of 3/32" like the lower four.  This proved to be universally true with the exception of one single plank: the port-side plank from the aft side of the 1st gunport edging strip to the fore side of the 2nd gunport edging strip, which is 3/32".  This small discrepancy may be due to unequal fairing of the deck surface of the bulkhead(s) in that area previous to waterway/planksheer installation.  The first picture shows a test fit of the lower plank on left, and a pre-cut, unpainted 1/16" plank on the right.  This is the starboard plank who's twin will be wider on the port side.  I'm crossing my fingers that everything will line up correctly;  I've measured every possible dimension and compared it two the plans, so I am retaining my optimism...

Bob

post-3909-0-51060100-1381792332_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-04304400-1381792356_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-23184900-1381792379_thumb.jpg

Looks good. It's interesting watching you do all this before even starting the hull planking, or the decks. Obviously the deck planks are laid straight onto the bulkheads?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

looking good Robert!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Bob,

Your build is coming along very well. I'm curious to see how you manage to keep your painted surfaces clean. I just beat the tar our of mine to the point I somewhat regret painting so early in the build.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I decided to plank the inner bulwarks first in order to establish as many known and solid reference points as possible before tackling the outside planking, and it also gives strength to the model when fairing the outside of the bulwarks prior to planking the exterior.  I  opted to paint the planks individually because of the different colored end-grain trim around the gun and sweep ports.  This allowed me to (almost) get relatively clean lines without tedious and laborious masking.  Had these pieces not been present, I definitely would have planked, and then painted.  I will treat the outside bulwarks in a similar manner, but after installing the planks immediately below the gunport sills, I will finish the hull planking completely before painting.

Larry, is this also why you chose to do it this way?  Anyway, I wouldn't call my surfaces clean;  (thank you, though)  they all need more sanding and coats of paint.  I'm just shooting for a happy balance where the individual planks are discernible without the paint job looking like dried mud on a tree trunk... :D 

Lol- dried mud on a tree trunk!!!  I felt the same way with the paints at first- had to thin the heck out of them!  Also, the paint job on my inner bulwarks/gunports didn't turn out as good because I used that @$#@@ awful primer!!!  The outer hull, all deck pieces, guns, etc. do not have any primer on them.  That stuff was like an oil slick and almost bled into the paint (even after being dry prior to painting).  So from now on, I'm not using the primer at all...

But yours looks really good- painting the inside was a pain (I masked the stringer, then did the red port frames free-hand).  I only masked the waterline on the hull, and painted after planking was complete.  

She's looking good- keep going!!!  :)

Hi Bob,

Looking back, I may have reduced the paint scratches if I covered the bulwarks with paintets tape or just something to offer it a little protection. Painting aHead makes a lot of sense to me but I just need to figure out how not to damage it as I complete other work.

Your doing a great job on your build!

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Bob, the inner planking looks great. Are you planning on painting ahead with any of the exterior planking? I could see that it may work with painting the yellow planking since most of the planks don't need to be tapered at all. I have been watching another thread on here where someone is dying their planking material with the hopes (I'm thinking) that cutting and sanding won't eliminate the color from the wood.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

could also be used as a weathering aide.......especially if your looking for a two toned appearance.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The build log of the Constitution by Cookster is where I discovered the dying process. It's on page 6 or 7.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Just a few more touch-ups and I will be ready to install the red stringer planks P and S, and then it's on to the outside...

Patrick:  I will be pre-painting the planks immediately below the gunport sills, and pre-painting and cutting the yellow planks, as well as the top outside stringers.  I will then proceed to plank the rest of the hull fully before sanding and painting in it's entirety.  The dying technique sounds interesting;  I may have to experiment with that on my next build...

Cheers,

Bob

post-3909-0-84119700-1381984691_thumb.jpg

Nice progress Bob....nice to see it coming together...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Think I'll add this baby to my list seeing it is massively discounted on model expo currently!

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Niagara's inside bulwarks are planked... going to start on the outside planking. 

I don't want to cross build logs here. but I'm also up and running on my Cutty Sark build;  installing bulwark stanchions...  My goal is to spend equal amounts of time between the two, instead of building one for two months, and then the other, etc...

post-3909-0-04882500-1382345227_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-81183600-1382345288_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-60498100-1382345301_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-59374900-1382345413_thumb.jpg

It was $179.00 with paint a couple days ago! I have 6 or 7 kits that were 80% off. Every now and then they discount so cheap I can not help myself!

That's the deal I got. Also got the Syren last deal, and the victory costs section, I was very tempted get get the endeavour and Victory since they were over 80% off.

It's addictive and I haven't beef started building yet

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

your doing a great job Robert......I'm watching both builds.  looking forward in seeing more.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice and clean bulwarks!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne