US Brig Niagara by rfolsom - Model Shipways

Two builds? Very brave .Keep on

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Added the first outside planks, port and starboard, immediately beneath the gunport sills.  Noticed after the fact they should be 1/8" wide, I used 3/32".  Oh well...

These will be the bottom most prepainted planks; I will pre-paint the planks above in order to save the tedious masking around the 1/32" port trim, as I did for the inner bulwarks.  Also, this plank, and the one beneath, (and the topmost) will be the last continuous planks, as I plan to cut the hull planking and stagger the butts when planking the belts.

First two strakes immediately beneath the gunport sills, port and starboard are laid.  Been whacking my head against a post trying to find the right (right in MY mind, too!) shade of yellow.  The yellow ochre from the MS. paint kit is too dark, in my opinion, and I hate mixing my own colors..;   I finally found (with the help of my Admiral) a yellow, second from left, called "Golden Straw".  This will be my yellow for the Niagara...

Bob

post-3909-0-69354500-1383194786_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-95562200-1383194802_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-31314500-1383194825_thumb.jpg

Satisfied with the yellow paint, I started the outside bulwark planking, in a similar manner to the inside;  I pre-paint the fiddly little 1/32" square port trim and install; and individually fit and pre-paint the planks.  This is to avoid the tedious masking, (which I hate, and am not good at).  I'll be really glad when the port trim is complete; I enjoy the planking, but these trim pieces are a pain.  I found out that the planking from the stern to the aft edge of the last gunport requires tapering;  narrowly avoided having to tear out planks in that area- just tapered the topmost three- I think it will be presentable.

Bob

post-3909-0-06769900-1383379922_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-66872500-1383379943_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-17697300-1383379964_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-26196400-1383380016_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob, nice to see the progression here. Since this will be my next build I'm enjoying following the log. Thanks for the pictures.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

looks like your doing a fine job.........you'll get used to it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The yellow you've picked out works very well in contrast to the black. I really like how clean the line is between the yellow and black. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Ok, here's some pics of what happens when you're not watching every last detail, from every angle,  plus looking into the future... :huh:

Top picture shows a yellow plank in position;  looks ok from the outside, but...

Second picture shows the same plank from the inside, 1 mm higher than the bottom of the sweep port (middle arrow).

This is due to my first hull strake, supposedly even with all the gunport sills (laid as one long plank) rising up in that one particular area. (outside arrows).

I had thought I had laid this plank accurately, but in this one area, I overlooked the rise, and the problem will compound itself;  I will try to strike a happy medium by sanding this outside plank slightly before adding the sweep port trim, and maybe slightly sanding the two planks above so the planks will evenly frame the ports.  I do not want to sand into the even run of a plank, because this is not the effect I am looking for, as it was not necessary on the real ship.

After final painting and touching up, hopefully this mistake will go unnoticed..

Bob

post-3909-0-10757200-1384156907_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-45000700-1384156928_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

I have the same issue but in my opinion much more noticeable than what you pointed out. Once I seen my problem, going backwards was more painful to me than trying to make it look like it belonged that way. As Captain of this ship I'm good with it being this way on my second ship build! I figured the vast majority of people who look at my ship will never know and I simply chalked it up as a lesson learned.

Your ship is coming along very nice and my advice is, ask the Captain what he wants to do about it – it's his ship! :)  :) :)  

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry;  I agree with you totally... I also know that I had a good heads- up from all you guys further along in your builds about the gap problem between the planksheer and the outer planks at the gunport sills, and was able to sand and shim them into place with the info you provided;  so I tried to point out some of my goofs to the newcomers to the Niagara.

As I posted in my other log:

Mistakes?  You can:

Fix them. :dancetl6:

Hide them. B)

Ignore them. :mellow:

Pretend they're supposed to be there. :D

Blame it on someone else. :P

Whatever works, enjoy your builds!! :cheers:

Bob

Now that is a good list! I'll use everyone before this build is complete. Wait a minute, I already used them several times. :D. :D. :D

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

as long as you found a good resolve,  then it's a job well done ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ok.. Most of the bulwarks are now planked, inside and out.  I need to finish planking the outside between the stem and the first gunport, so I decided to take a piece of 3/8" square stock and sand it to the 21/64" square bowsprit dimension and cut the bowsprit hole...

post-3909-0-33089800-1384837107_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-34656400-1384837336_thumb.jpg

Challenge

Keep on

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Good morning Bob,

Your Niagara is looking good!

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry:  Thanks for the nice words!  Nenad:  I will return to the CS build in the next couple of days (don't worry)!

Today I test fitted my roughed out bowsprit to the hull. (I wanted to take pictures of the bowsprit alone after the carving I did last night, but my camera batteries needed charging.)  With the bowsprit taped into place, I will complete the outside bulwark planking.

post-3909-0-78186800-1384899934_thumb.jpg

Edited by rfolsom

Here's a picture of the distal octaganal portion; tough to get the octagon without turning it completely round;  we'll see how it looks once the "bandages" are removed.  The oversized block at left will be cut off once I'm satisfied with shaping.. The excess made a convenient handle to hold on to.  The tape wrapped around the bowprit at right was used to protect the rounded portion while shaping the octagonal portion.

post-3909-0-17733900-1384900281_thumb.jpg

I agree with Rich! Taping on the drawing to assist with the shape looks like it will work well. Thanks for sharing the idea, I'll try this approach.

Edit: did you glue on the top sheet, cut the side profile then added the side sheet?

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Thank you, Rich and Larry (aka class clown :P ).

Larry: I squared the 3/8" stock to 21/64"; added the top sheet on my flattest surface, and glued both side sheets on (one flipped horizontally in Photoshop to make a mirror image).  As the top of the bowsprit is completely flat, i then used the scroll saw to rough out the bottom angles, and then did the side tapering.  The side tapering is much less than the bottom, so angle errors are not too great- also, most of my shaping at this time is concentrated on the proximal end of the bowsprit.  I used a glue stick for ease of pattern removal later on..

Bob

Edited by rfolsom

Thanks for the details Bob. This part looks difficulttome, I'll use your process. :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hey Bob,

Smart move on doing the overlay. Solely noted :)!

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

• 2 weeks later...