US Brig Niagara by rfolsom - Model Shipways

looking good Robert!........inside and out  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Really clean work Bob! When you were cutting the octagon on the bowsprit, what kind of tool did you use? I think this would be a great place to use a draw knife. 

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Thank you, Popeye and Bill, for the kind words.

Bill, I just alternated between a #11 x-acto and my sanding stick with 400 grit, taking baby steps along the way and checking with my calipers.  A draw knife would probably work a lot better, but I do not have one, and have never used one.  It might be a good idea for me to invest in one and learn to use it, as I used the same technique to fashion the octagon on the end of one of the masts (test-fitting when forming the mast support blocks during framing), and I'm not really as satisfied as I'd like to be with the end result.  Any suggestions for a good brand or size?

Thanks!

~Bob

Very nice work, Bob

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Bob,

There are numerous sources for these. Micro draw knives are very popular as Japanese carving tools. Spoke shaves are very similar except they have a mounted blade like a wood plane. I think you would like these better. Mine are very old. New one's come in many sizes and prices. They also come as straight, convex and concave. You can imagine how useful a concave or quarter moon shape would be for masts and spars and arms :)

Search "micro spoke shaves", many choices, even some kits for making them with wood handles. Look at the Japanese micro draw knives and see what you think. We all have different budgets and priorities. You're probably going to spend $40 to $60. $100 on the high end.

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Hey Tony, you might try Micro-Mark online for tools, they have a good variety...Sugarland....not too far down the road....

www.micromark.com

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 3 weeks later...

The planking looks good! Pretty soon you'll be seeing and counting planks in your sleep... :D

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  Niagara is on hold for now as I am working on my Cutty Sark.  I'll soon run into a tight spot with her, and return once again to the Niagara, with posts, of course...

"Don't Give Up The Ship" (but it's ok to row over to another for a small break....) :cheers:

~Bob

• 2 months later...

Hello, Everyone;  Not much progress, (four planks tonight, two last night) but not much is better than none at all.  I was working on the Cutty Sark for about two months getting the main rails drilled, shaped, and installed.  Now it's time for Niagara once again.  And, I found out my $5 web-cam that I never use takes better up-close stills than my digital camera.  So here's some current pics of Niagara's hull...

~Bob

post-3909-0-04385600-1399193337_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-92009000-1399193348_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-01524900-1399193361_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-04750200-1399193378_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-89796400-1399193392_thumb.jpg

Bob, I'm glad to see you back on your Niagara. The planking is very clean. Very nice progress.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Guest Tim I.

I second Patrick. Your Cutty Sark is a beautiful build. I understand the moving back and fourth between builds. Between the Prince de Neufchatel and the Niagara it seems like there is never enough time.

Looking forward to seeing your Niagara take shape, and thank you for your advice for mine.

- Tim

Hey Bob- she's coming along great!  I'm finally getting around to checking on the other builds here (as well as setting up shop/finding room to work).  :)

I still don't get that you're doing TWO builds at once!!!  OMG- I'd be a frantic shipwreck myself (anxiety, mixed parts & wood stock, etc)!  But you're the man for conquering that daunting challenge~~~

I'm still loving the idea of sticking the bowsprit plans directly to the stock- might just have to dive in and do it this week if I can (heading to Norfolk again for a few days).  :)

Keep it coming!!

Thanks, Tim, Patrick, and Rich, for the kind words;  Rich, great to hear from you again! I know it takes time to get settled in;  priorities first...  ;)

As far as keeping my two builds separate, even though both hulls occupy the same table,  I do most Cutty work on the table, and most Niagara work on the living room floor.  (Yes, the floor;  I grab the Niagara, pull some plans, and a piece of lumber, and cut pieces on a scrap wood surface directly on the floor.) I then sit back and relax watching (listening to) videos while shaping planks.  I also have a primitive inventory system where I will write down each piece of lumber pulled from the Niagara's original stock, and label each end as it's pulled, keeping a running count of each piece and the date it was removed from the box..

One build will sit in the shared building slip on the table while the other rests on a pillow on the same table.  As the Cutty is  mostly scratch-built; all her lumber and other purchased items (deadeyes, belaying pins, rigging and chain) are mostly stored in other boxes under and around the work table (these are not inventoried)

Obviously this method will not work when the Niagara's planking is completed, and both builds will need to stay on the table (or tables) but that will be in the future... :D

post-3909-0-50836700-1399268855_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-90289000-1399268882_thumb.jpg

every one has a system........I have a  'tube system'  myself.   I saved a bunch of postal tubes {large} and cut them slightly shorter than the strip lengths.   drilled some holes with my hole saw and cemented the tubes into them.   then I have some smaller ones,  shorter for the stock I've already cut.    work well......and I can even label the main tubes :)

planking looks very nice........you'll have 'er looking spiffy in no time!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...

Hey, you still working on this one?

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

I must admit i have a few builds going on in various stages- coal fired grab dredger "clearway" sccratch built, caldercraft "sir kay" minesweeper, "u.s.s. lynx" from penart, billings "st. canute" tug, billings "hms victory" and A L "pinta"! so you are not alone Bob lol

Keith

Lol Bob and yet we keep starting more- oh and also building Hms dreadnought by zvezda, a 1/76 fairy swordfish biplane, a 1/76 dakota a couple of dragon models half tracks to 1/35 and a few 1/35 tamiya ww2 tanks along with model railway wagons :o

Tamiya makes some excellent kits;  last plastic build i did was a Pocher Mercedes when I was 16.  It was housed in an oak case, but when my Mother passed, I'm not so sure where it is.  I think my sister and brother-in-law might have it stored at their vinyard.

Understood, Keith.  Even though I "pretend" to have two builds, I actually have three ships, three dollhouses, an airplane, and a robot.... :cheers:

Everything you have seem to be multiplied. And Admiral(s) ??? ;)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic