Hello. Again.

JoeHolden

Some 14 years ago, I began my first build, Model Shipways' Armed Virginia Sloop, 1768 with the aid of Bob Hunt's practicum.  At that time, I was a member here, but under what handle and password has long faded from memory.
Life took a few turns and the whole kit and caboodle was packed up for another day. 
That "other" day came 'round just about 4 or 5 weeks ago when I dusted off the box, brushed up on the lessons in the practicum binder, and took a second, hard look at the hull, finished only through the first planking.
After much stalling and procrastination I once again began cutting and gluing.  This time, I'm working on the second planking in walnut.  The going is slow and deliberate and I already see some of my mistakes, but now I'm ready to get through this step and move on.
I'll post a few pics, first to show where I left off all those years ago, and then some to show the progress I've made in the last couple weeks.
It's good to be back!

1.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

3.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

She’s a beautiful ship!  Can’t wait to see your progress!  Welcome back

Planking looks great so far, well done!  Start a build log so we can follow along, and welcome back to MSW!

The AVS is a great kit, I really enjoyed building it (link to log in my signature).  I also used Bob's practicum as a guide most of the way through the build, it's a useful tool, but be careful when you get to the rigging and read through all of it before you start and realize that he doesn't enjoy rigging, so he misses stuff and goes out of order, forgets to place things and then never tells you but you see it in later photo's, so you'll need to really pay attention to the plans there.

Edited by GuntherMT

Welcome back,

Nice work.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Joe, welcome back home.   I too suggest you start a build log.  It's a great way to meet old friends, make new ones, and get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

7 hours ago, GuntherMT said:

The AVS is a great kit, I really enjoyed building it (link to log in my signature).

Darn it, Brian!  I saw your reply this morning and spent all of my spare time today going through your build log for the AVS.  I accomplished nothing on mine!
On a serious note, I'm really glad I took the time to go through your log.  I found it both encouraging and intimidating.   I'll be following your lead on a few techniques and taking a more amateurish approach on others. 
Thank you for taking the time along the way to leave a detailed roadmap for others.

If my log is helpful to you then I am happy that I could be of some assistance to you.  I know that I learned a great deal from the logs that preceded my build on this forum and I'm sure it wouldn't have come out the way it did without following a lot of the tips and tricks I learned from others.

Sharing is the best part of this hobby, everyone seems to be willing and happy to help.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have, and if you start a build log, please send me a message to let me know so I can follow it (there are just so many logs that it's impossible for me to read all of them) and maybe be of assistance here and there.

As I said before, it looks like you are doing a fantastic job so far, so just be patient and keep at it!