Emma C Berry by ahb26 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/32

That looks right. Here is a crop from one of my high-res photos that gives a pretty good view of the assembly:

1552442012_DSCF7178(crop).JPG.3a4295981a8f67fa2ee098608a5121ba.JPG

The strip along the edge of the horn timber where it attaches to the transom was added by me to help locate and secure the transom (there is a matching strip on the other side).  This matches up very well with your diagram.

Andrew Bodge

Finished:  Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack (Midwest / Model Shipways)

Finished: Maine Lobster Boat (BlueJacket)

Finished: Yankee Hero (BlueJacket)

Finished: Emma C. Berry (Model Shipways)

Finished: Northeaster Dory (Chesapeake Light Craft)

Finished: Schooner Bowdoin (BlueJacket)

Finished: US Revenue Cutter "Joe Lane" (Marine Models)

Missing and presumed lost: Friendship Sloop (Laughing Whale)

Andrew - How did you transfer the bevel lines from the blueprint onto the bulkhead frames? Did you just eyeball it using a french curve? I think you said you sanded the bevels - as opposed to carving with a knife as the designer suggested.  So, did you run the frames against a drill-press-mounted drum sander? Carving / shaving / whittling curved members with a knife seems tricky because sometimes the grain direction works against your effort - or steers your blade in the wrong direction - and there is not much meat for a steady grip.

I am also attaching a photo of my completed Greg Davis inspired construction jig that we discussed earlier.

GREG DAVIS TYPE JIG.JPG

That is one sturdy jig!

I think in some cases I traced the frame bevel lines onto tracing paper, used pinpricks to transfer from the paper to the frame, then hand sanded.  For some of the frames I just winged it.  I was hesitant to use the sanding drum since it's so easy to go overboard, and my carving skills certainly weren't up to the task (although since then I have done some carving on a solid hull and gotten a better feel for it).  I think many builders prefer to leave all the fairing until planking time, once the frames are securely mounted and braced by the clamps and deck framing.

Andrew Bodge

Hi Andrew

By  eyeballing the bevel line location from the print and running a .7mm mechanical pencil over the wood using my middle finger as a guide at the edge, I was able to make a decent line when it needed to be parallel to the edge. When the line had to start bending away from being parallel. I used a french curve. Next, I chucked a  dremel sanding drum into my bench-top drill press and gingerly free-handed the cut with a follow-up of some normal hand sanding. It looks good to me. I am not sure i want to pursue the inboard bevel for this project. For drawing the rabbet lines on the keel, I used translucent sandwich wrap paper, pinpricks and the french curve. Now, I need to practice different methods for carving out that material. Here is a photo of the ECB I took  in 2013......

E.C.B. AT MYSTIC 2013.JPG

Frank,

I wonder if it might be time for you to start your own build log, rather than hijacking Andrew’s?

3 hours ago, gjdale said:

I wonder if it might be time for you to start your own build log, rather than hijacking Andrew’s?

This is an excellent idea, and I can easily set it up for you, Frank, if you decide you'd like to have your own log.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

It's easy!  The first post in this forum tells you how.

Andrew Bodge

• 1 month later...