I have fitted together the gratings to what will fit the comings and intend to glue these grating strips together by dipping the assembled grating strips in a mixture of PVA glue and water and not sure what the mixture ratio should be and any ideas would be appreciated. Also how long do these need to be immersed in this glue/water mixture. Last question. Is there anything I can use to lay these assembled grates on whilst the glue dries which will not stick to the gratings once they are dry. Thank you.Best regards Dave.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Dave,

One way is to glue together the outer ledges and battens on all four sides as these need to be a solid line, not with openings against the coamings or head ledges.  You can then add dots of glue to the end of each grating ledge then glue in in place followed by gluing in the battens.  If your build is a kit, the gratings may be mistakenly made of ledges and battens that are all notched but the assembly can be the same and will look fine.  If you prefer to assemble everything dry you can then use artists' matte medium which dries clear and is waterproof rather than soaking the entire grating in a batch of glue and water which may cause it to distort and lose its rounding athwartships.  Just brush it on the underside, but if a little comes through onto the top it can be sanded off once dry, but be careful not to flatten out the rounding.  The sketch below is rather simplified but shows what I mean, I think :>)

Allan

Gratings.JPG.eec9f18895daab4c4892bd78fe887d9e.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I guess this part is a little late if you have already put them together..

Gratings.jpg.90690b2b49c2ced37ccdd060c59985be.jpg

When I have put these together, I just put a little white glue in random slots of one layer.

Doesn't take much to keep these assemblies together.

As far as where to put yours while they dry, just set them on some plastic wrap or a plastic bag.

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thanks everyone for all your help. I have managed to fit 3 hatch covers today without too much trouble and the tin foil worked a treat. I also managed to make sure that there was white wood all the way around although I has to sand these quite thin to fit. The comings came with parts pre made so were quite a tight fit. All in all a successful outcome. Best regards Dave

On 2/1/2021 at 7:58 PM, shipman said:

'.....and the tin foil worked a treat'.

???

worked a treat thanks shipman. All I need now is to find something that CA glue will not stick to. Any ideas?

4 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

All I need now is to find something that CA glue will not stick to. Any ideas?

I have used clear plastic wrap and zip-lock bags.

― Jimmy Buffett

This forum is absolutely amazing with some of the ideas. They might be obvious to some people and make a lot of sense. But I have to take my hat off to all of you. Thank you.Best regards Dave

I want some gratings for a current build but I'm in the dark about how they're described on dealers' sites. For example;

Model Shipways GRATINGS, 2-3/64 x 1/8"

or

Model Shipways GRATINGS, 50 x 2mm

My guess is that the first number is the size of the finished grating, and the second is the height of the grate.

Right?

You are correct.  I checked some MODEL SHIPWAYS GRATINGS, 39 X 1.25MM SQ.60 I have, and the first number is 

the length of the strip and the 2nd the height of the strip..   On mine,  the .6 is the size of the opening on an assemled grating..

― Jimmy Buffett