Dave,

Regarding the rope, it sounds like you are talking about the strops around the blocks.   Assuming the scale of your Amati Bounty is 1:60, and the cannon are four pounders,  these would all be single blocks  about 6" long so they would be 0.10 inches long (2.5mm)   You can use the following formula to get the size of the strop, assuming it is about the same size as the line that runs through the block.   There is a lot more to it, but for this scale, it is going to be pretty close.  The length of the block is about 8 times the width of the sheave hole so the rope would be less than 3/4" diameter for a 6" block.   0.75"/60 = 0.0125 diameter.   20 gage wire is 0.03" so triple the diameter you need.  28 gage (AWG) is 0.0126 so pretty much dead on.   This is single strand.   I suspect darkened 28 gage single strand would look realistic but if you really want to twist wire into rope of the proper size you would probably need 32 gage or perhaps smaller for a three strand rope-like finish.  I am looking forward to seeing your end results as this sounds like a solution to keep in the files for future use.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

AS for Chuck's weathering powder technique, I don't know if he goes into more detail somewhere else, but it seems pretty simple and straightforward here:

Weathering the cannon on Cheerful

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I describe the weathering powder process in my Cheerful log.  It is Doc OBriens Rusty Red from MicroMart.  It is done after painting with soft brushes. Nothing more than brush on brush off, but as it’s powder done off ship so as not to spread. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, Gregory said:

AS for Chuck's weathering powder technique, I don't know if he goes into more detail somewhere else, but it seems pretty simple and straightforward here:

Weathering the cannon on Cheerful

Its all beginning to make a bit of sense .Thanks for the links.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Slight change of tack here. Regarding the use of copper wire to acheive that extra loop was a bit of a failure. I really couldn't get it to work somehow. Perhaps it was trying this on such small blocks. I also tried the above method of tying a loop and then just tying it to the block and then a drop of CA, This seemed to work betterat least for me it did. I intend to put all my make up all my blocks and thread it all together before gluing everything to the ship. Hope this is the best way forward.. In the meantime I thought about how I am going to paint the cannons and have been thinking about the weathering at would like to go down this route. However I was wondering about the carriages and wondered about weathering wood. I have done some water colours in the past and made a pretty good job of painting old boats and barns and harbour buildings and that sort of thing and with reasonable success. I know acrylic is not the same as watercolour but wondered if the same technique of wet in wet could not be applied to acrylic paint and then perhaps sealed some how. Just for the record anyone who has done water colours will know what wonderfull effects can be acheived by wet in wet . 

Sorry if this is going off the subject somewhat and your continued input would be much appreciated. Best regards Dave

I have taken the plunge and decided to paintsthe cannons Iron black and the gun carriges yellow orcre as this the colour which came with the kit. I was also supplied red orcre but I believe is used on the carrages fn the Bounty but think this a bit dark for my needs .I thought I would try a bit of weathering by using some brown acrylic paint and applying using a very stiff brush with very littlle paint on itth the yellow orcre. I don,t believe it is perfect by any means but I am satisfied enough not to have regretted painting the cannons in the first place. I have also ordered some brass blackening for the numerous brass rings with the kit. Here is a photo of the completed paint job and looking at it closely I can see there are one or two places need touch up.

Any comments would be appreciated. Best regards Dave

DSC_1317.JPG