Worx Makerx Tools

Just curious is anyone has any experience with Worx Makerx tools. I'm particularly interested in the airbrush, which appears to be battery operated and doesn't require an air compressor. Seems too good to be true. They also have a heat gun, rotary tool, and soldering iron. All working off the same battery system.

https://www.worx.com/makerx/makerx-crafting-tools.html

Rich 

3 hours ago, rhephner said:

Just curious is anyone has any experience with Worx Makerx tools. I'm particularly interested in the airbrush, which appears to be battery operated and doesn't require an air compressor. Seems too good to be true. They also have a heat gun, rotary tool, and soldering iron. All working off the same battery system.

https://www.worx.com/makerx/makerx-crafting-tools.html

Rich 

With the disclaimer that I have no experience with this particular line of tools at all, I'll risk sharing the observation that "If it seems too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true." Generally speaking, tools (with which I do have a lot of general experience) marketed to the "hobbyist" or, in the current parlance, the "crafter" or "maker," are generally a poor investment. They tend to be underpowered and poorly constructed. The quality is markedly wanting, but the price, while often less, and sometimes much less, than the "professional's choice" model of the same tool, is expensive when one considered what they are getting for their money. Buying the best tool one can possibly afford is always a much better investment over time. Additionally, most of the now widely marketed tools of this style which feature low voltage power requirements, whether they be battery-powered and powered by a proprietary interchangeable power supply (e.g. the Proxxon or MicroMake systems) are dependent upon often-limited manufacturer support. When the manufacturer goes out of business or abandons the product line, owners are often left holding the bag when they can't get parts, proprietary accessories, or proprietary rechargeable batteries anymore. Note, as well, that the Makerx tools' prices do not include batteries or power supplies.

At the risk of sounding arrogantly presumptuous, I'll say most any sixty dollar airbrush system isn't going to provide the buyer with a lot of satisfaction. Cheap tools are always the most expensive in the long run. You will probably be far more satisfied, and money ahead over time, buying a quality airbrush from this forum's airbrush company sponsor using their MSW discount and buying a decent airbrush compressor to go with it.

Use the forum's search feature to find prior threads on airbrush selections. Other's have already figured out the best airbrush choices for modeling purposes. Learn from the mistakes of others and save money and grief. :D 

See: https://usaairbrushsupply.com/

Hello rich,

I haven’t used this product before but There are three concerns I would have with it. I’m not an expert airbrusher, but I would be curious how long the battery lasts, knowing my luck I would go to clean it or right before finishing it would die on me. The next thing is the power that tiny motor has, I’m sure it could spray acrylic but probably not very well. The last issue would be the weight and size of it, sometimes I have to hold mine at a weird angle and when painting large areas this might be difficult to use. I will say that something like this may not be a bad investment if you do a ton of air brushing. Sometimes I might want to paint something really small and to do that I would have to clean out my air brush and mix more paint. Having my normal system and then something like this for something really small might not be to bad. 

If you don’t own an air brush or compressor though I would consider checking out the site bob suggested, I don’t have any of their air brushes either but have heard really great things. 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

I have a no name air compressor that I bought at Menards, our local big box home improvement store.  It retired a home made air system that I rigged up. 

At approximately $100 I consider it to be a bargain.  First, it gives me an unlimited supply of air delivered to my air brush at the correct pressure. Air brushes use more air than you might think.

in addition, it gives me a regulated air supply for use around my shop and inflated my wife’s car tire when she arrived home from the grocery store and told me that a women in the parking lot told her that it was flat- she drove home any way.

I hate battery powered tools. They always need to be charged when I want to use them and they seem to lose power quickly.

I heard that it is quite useful device. Its noise level is approx. electric shaver which means no problem in midnight. It has some weakness such as fixed air pressure and non-tilted airbrush. It is not the best airbrush compressor, but moderate device for most model works at the price.

799025_image1614493702.png.db699a8f8a39d7d247196c3bc8f96edf.png

This is much viable way of use. Also, the battery time of this picture's device is about 30 minutes and 2h charging time. It is not same as WORX makerx tools. Also, prices are very different. (Its price is $25.)

+ The stock airbrush is single action which means it blows air always when the compressor turns on. If you use regular airbrush such as the Harder and Steenbeck Infinity and block the air while the compressor is working, it can be broken soon.

324476737_image1614494708.png.140c082f0f33a6e1da15f32e2ee34d68.png

If you already bought it, I recommend to make this simple stand for preventing back flow.

Edited by modeller_masa

• 2 weeks later...

comp1.jpg.a31e356da4ad9e0927a539315e01f7d6.jpg

I bought an upgraded version of the wireless compressor. Its price is about $50.

comp2.jpg.6c2521a6bb64ce7ef061c1cb22f248db.jpg

The white toggle switch is power button.

comp3.jpg.73850bb74e900ef9312a342b2015d3c9.jpg

This is power port. It comes with USB cable. Its battery time is about half hour, but I can use it while in charging.

comp4.jpg.2438eb987dbb47570ed52a6c5663d242.jpg

The reason it is called second generation of wireless compressor is that it has pressure sensor inside.

The first and cheaper version has no pressure sensor, so they blow air always. If you use it with regular airbrush, the inner pressure will increase till the end! To avoid the design failure and potential breakdown of compressor motor, they use modified airbrush which has single action lever only. It is possible to use conventional or masterpiece airbrush with the old wireless compressor, but you may need to turn on and off power switch each time.

https://serviceapi.nmv.naver.com/flash/convertIframeTag.nhn?vid=2AEC7BDA593EDACD62AA5DC5E934FEA3BB71&outKey=V125363b07846d87f5ce329717e6f14f6a6fa3b6897472869472529717e6f14f6a6fa&width=740&height=416

(I took a video.)

This new version has pressure sensor and turns off automatically when pressure reaches at certain level. With the sensor, I can use it like usual huge air compressor. 

comp5.jpg.ce6d538a4a0dc2bfa861ac4dd2a8951f.jpg

Another benefit of this mini compressor is low noise. 55 dB means your family won't wake up in the middle of night. 

Drawback is low pressure. its maximum pressure with Infinity CR2 is about 0.05 Mpi = 7 Psi which is barely acceptable for fine lacquer particle. Such low pressure is not suitable for acrylic paints that requires 0.15~0.20 Mpi = 21~30 Psi. I'll use it for lacquer painting or cleaning.