Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

• 1 month later...

looking excellent, especially noting the difficult construction material.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...

Way beyond my skill set.  What a wonderful build and subject matter.  Here's a little story for you.  Every time I go to Washington DC, I go to Arlington.  On one occasion after watching the Old Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  I walked to the rear of the area this takes place.  I stopped dead in my tracks and stared.  A Park Ranger noticed me and ask if I was OK?  I replied, yes ma'am, and asked her a question?  She said in all the years she had been there, I was the first to point out what the object was that had my attention.  That question was, is that a mast from the USS Maine.  And it was.  She was so impressed by that, she asked me my name and how did I know that.  My response, what other vessel could it have been on this Hallowed Ground. Besides, from the design of and the color of it, it was obviously from a Dreadnought.  Funny how one comes upon History if one is aware.  Your build is truly a tribute to her, the USS Maine.

Edited by Titanicphile
Word Corrections

Glad to see you back. Excellent work thus far. 

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Great story on the USS MAINE mast at Arlington. I am hoping to see that in person and visit someday. While building any model ship you become attached to its story. Passion for something makes you want to share that experience with others. 124 years ago the loss of  this ship was a huge event in the U.S. The model has already brought historical awareness to the terrible tragedy this was. So I love telling the history. 

15 hours ago, steven. R said:

Great story on the USS MAINE mast at Arlington. I am hoping to see that in person and visit someday. While building any model ship you become attached to its story. Passion for something makes you want to share that experience with others. 124 years ago the loss of  this ship was a huge event in the U.S. The model has already brought historical awareness to the terrible tragedy this was. So I love telling the history. 

Terrible tragedy....and also a convenient way to start a short war with Spain! Lots of strange stories going around that ship. 

Could it be another false flag event our USA Corporation government is so fond of?

Yves

• 1 month later...

Steven, I've missed your updates recently, and just stumbled upon your build again. She's looking amazing! I have nothing but respect for someone who can do what you can with sheet steel.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:39 AM, Titanicphile said:

She said in all the years she had been there, I was the first to point out what the object was that had my attention.  That question was, is that a mast from the USS Maine.  And it was. 

In a similar tradition, in Sydney Harbour they have the mast of the first HMAS Sydney, which sank the Emden in 1914. It was put in place in 1934.

The H.M.A.S. Sydney I Memorial Mast commemorates those who served in the Royal Australian Navy and those ships which were lost in service. On 26 June 2007 the Royal Australian Navy announced that a new naval tradition would commence that day requiring all Australian and foreign naval vessels proceeding into Sydney Harbour to render ceremonial honours to the HMAS Sydney I Memorial Mast. The ceremony consists of bringing the ship's company on the upper decks to attention, and then 'piping' the Mast. 

image.png.6577190a0c0d7e1c8b39d4472dc64e35.png

Steven

The USS Maine story is an interesting one. It wasn't the US government that blew it up into an excuse for a war. It was the Hurst newspaper chain - perhaps the best example of "yellow journalism."

It was a tragedy, and subsequent studies have failed to give a definitive cause for the explosion, but some possible causes have been determined. But the Hurst chain blew the story up into tremendous hyperbole to sell more newspapers. They blamed the Spanish and editorialized that the US should go to war. Not much (any?) of what they said was true, but they got their war, sold a lot of papers and got rich.

Unfortunately, our current trends in "news" reporting isn't much different from Hurst's yellow journalism. The goal is to make money, and news reporting has become infotainment, with different sources slanting the stories to appeal to some particular bunch of suckers. Just a bunch of talking heads reading the appropriate propaganda. George Orwell's fantasy has come true. Truth is lies. Ignorance is strength.