Planking the Qdeck and Fcastle of your Winnie....planning ahead

As I plan ahead for the future parts of the Winnie I thought I would start a discussion about different ways you can plank the Qdeck and Fcastle....

You can plank only half the deck like I did on my Confederacy model.   This gives you a different look and more access to view the gun deck details below.  It will also show the various knees on those deck beams.  See below.  And yes Model Expo broke this model as you can see.....the Anchor and timberheads are now broken on the Port side.  An easy fix that they should really do....

88226_R-05.jpg

88226_R-01.jpg

OR...You can plank like many of the contemporary models out there.  Here for example is how this is done with two running open areas down the Qdeck and Fcastle.   Since I already did the half open thing with Confederacy I may go this route with my Winnie.  Its more traditional.  Its entirely up to you and will help make the model more unique to your personal tastes.  Going with the version below will allow you to omit most of the knees all together because they wont be seen.  Also note how the fore and aft edges of the deck beams are painted red.  This is a typical way that they are shown on contemporary models.

amazon1.jpg

amazon3.jpg

Hmmm. I am torn because both look so good. I am leaning more towards showing the knees though. For me seeing them looks special. Decisions, Decisions!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Not a big fan of that style.....It looks to angular and over thought out.  Cant show any guns on upper deck either.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any person building the Winnie that wont add the knees?   As you can see above they wont be seen if you plank the upper decks with the two open "runs" like this below.  But if as I suspect most if not all of you will add them anyway, I will bundle the laser cut parts for the deck beams with the knees and sell them together.  If a decent number dont wish to add the knees then I will offer them separately so those folks wont have to pay the extra $$$ for the bundle and not use them.  I will say however that it will be much easier for me to bundle these two items from a MFG standpoint.

Cann all of those in the group who DO NOT wish to add the knees please speak up.   If everyone does I will bundle them up.

amazon.jpg