Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

Vlad, 

Even with all the trials you are facing so far, she is still looking good. Besides, has there ever been a scratch build that has ever gone smoothly? With your skills though I’m sure they will not be much of a problem for you. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

On 7/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, rwiederrich said:

Wonderful work Vlad.  You are paying great attention to the nightsheads and the sterns qualities.  Super.

We definitely approach construction differently.  You stick more with the traditional approach...where I slap it together.

It's easy to imagine a technique or a way you wish to go or do...but then again actually translating that into reality can be the biggest challenge. (Either one doesn't know what they are doing, or they lack the necessary disciplined skill).

I've made so many mistakes and made far too many assumptions already.  But I plug away, knowing that a glue or paint or even smoke and mirrors will cover up my many trespasses.

I look forward to your planking and am excited to see your technique

(A Special Note:).......I chose the smaller scale, because within it, I can hide(mistakes), but I can also disguise details...or even omit some, without their lack of presence ever being noticed.  Your extremely large Cutty, did not afford you the option of (Omitting) any details.  this is probably the greatest reason why I cower behind a smaller scale.  I can convince myself I'm doing a good job, while excusing of my sins. 

You're doing a great job.

Rob

You all have great remarks very to the point Rob. I see you as a master of smaller scales and yes  I feel i will have to go thru more obstacles  following exact plan parhs but still, i have time. i would not going to plank probably until I had a bender as it will be impossible not to destroy stem and rabbet line with 2 mm planks. I have to check planks first how they fit both to the rabbet and around knightheads. seeing Richs remark I plan to fit in false bowsprit when planking so knightheads are supported and wont break. i atart liking idea i am quite following exact ship building which is educationa land enlightening at some point as well. happy continuation with yours ;) 

20 hours ago, mbp521 said:

Vlad, 

Even with all the trials you are facing so far, she is still looking good. Besides, has there ever been a scratch build that has ever gone smoothly? With your skills though I’m sure they will not be much of a problem for you. 

-Brian

Thanks a lot for encouragement Brian. Well rather not sepaking of my skills as those are mediocre at most, but i do appreciate the support. it really helps.V. 

20 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Vlad,

You are doing a great job building a model of a handsome ship.

If I may, I would like to weigh in on the paint/ natural wood subject.  In my opinion different finishes look better on different types of models.  For example,  a clear wood finish definitely is a must for a 17th-18th Century Dockyard Model.  Likewise, Ed Tosti’s exposed framing with it’s natural wood finish produced striking results for his Young America model.

On the other hand, I believe that fully planked models of these large mid Nineteenth Century sailing vessels look much better painted.  The sailing ships built during the last 75 or so years of the age of sail were powerful vessels that made fast passages by their ability to carry sail in a blow.  An unpainted models these can look like toys instead of miniatures of powerful sailing vessels.

OK, enough of my opinion.  You’re the master shipwright here.  Enjoy what you are doing, and I’m sure that you will achieve stunning results.

Roger 

Thanks for interesting points Roger, I feel too that painted will hopefully bring her charm she deserves. well im not that good as some lines are atill not perfect looking at photogrphs but we all agree that as much as preparation si tiresome and boring its probably most important thing for planking and planking is important as hell . skpeaking  of, this is still my first build of american clipper so it is double exciting for me.  Im eyeing  build of Other folks here  who are cureently building model shipways flying fish, which is very  helpful to me as It is even more helpful than looking at plan. I also think that planking will not go to that perfection that i would like to keep it natural wood i assume some filler will be necessary so i firmly decided on painting . :) to some point i think unpainted would also look very blossoming if done extremely right and using fine woods. :) V. 

Vlad,

Following others on this forum can be both inspiring and discouraging.  It is easy to become inspired by other’s precise clean work and discouraged by our inability to achieve it.  

Keep in in mind that it’s the final result that matters.  Don’t hesitate to redo work that doesn’t satisfy you but when you feel that you have done your best, move on.  I’m sure that your final result will be excellent.

Roger

On 7/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks for interesting points Roger, I feel too that painted will hopefully bring her charm she deserves. well im not that good as some lines are atill not perfect looking at photogrphs but we all agree that as much as preparation si tiresome and boring its probably most important thing for planking and planking is important as hell . skpeaking  of, this is still my first build of american clipper so it is double exciting for me.  Im eyeing  build of Other folks here  who are cureently building model shipways flying fish, which is very  helpful to me as It is even more helpful than looking at plan. I also think that planking will not go to that perfection that i would like to keep it natural wood i assume some filler will be necessary so i firmly decided on painting . :) to some point i think unpainted would also look very blossoming if done extremely right and using fine woods. :) V. 

I think she looks great so far. And I agree with everyone that you do what is going to please you. Yes, we all strive for accuracy, but by definition any model is a simplification and it's also an art form; there is always something of each of us in what we build. I've always painted, perhaps because I started with plastic, but I think it is more likely to be a desire to see something as it is, particularly for ships like this that aren't with us anymore. So, for me, maybe it is a desire to see something from the past - only you know what drives you.

Keep it up. I find it incredibly inspiring (and I'm pretty confident that lots of others do as well). Your work is helping me get the confidence to start my own scratch build plans.

Regards,

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

13 hours ago, gak1965 said:

I think she looks great so far. And I agree with everyone that you do what is going to please you. Yes, we all strive for accuracy, but by definition any model is a simplification and it's also an art form; there is always something of each of us in what we build. I've always painted, perhaps because I started with plastic, but I think it is more likely to be a desire to see something as it is, particularly for ships like this that aren't with us anymore. So, for me, maybe it is a desire to see something from the past - only you know what drives you.

Keep it up. I find it incredibly inspiring (and I'm pretty confident that lots of others do as well). Your work is helping me get the confidence to start my own scratch build plans.

Regards,

George K

much appreciated comment George. true in it. im lucky you guys eye it from time to time as everyone is helping a lot . :)

Thanks a lot

Vlad

Good Evening Vladimir;

I am glad to see that you are putting what you learned with your Cutty Sark to good use in a new model. At a smaller scale, too, so it will be easier to handle. 

It's all taking shape nicely, keep up the good work; I will watch with great interest. I wish you much joy from the building, and even more joy looking at the completed model for many years to come. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

19 hours ago, Mark P said:

Good Evening Vladimir;

I am glad to see that you are putting what you learned with your Cutty Sark to good use in a new model. At a smaller scale, too, so it will be easier to handle. 

It's all taking shape nicely, keep up the good work; I will watch with great interest. I wish you much joy from the building, and even more joy looking at the completed model for many years to come. 

All the best,

Mark P

Thanks Mark. 

just  a headup. Seems im almost done with preparations, although there is some window or maybe cargo opening at the side of ship , i will have to make a coamings for it prior planking i guess. Will have to determine where it exactly is. :) but anyway, 

We got some unberable sunshine lately thus i know 38 celsius is somwhow funmy for US citizens, i almost fainted what Rich wrote how hot it was there. My god. 

So i will sneak into my cool  workshop and already irdered first batch of planks. I plan to lay first swction of non tapered one probably 10 pieces , 5 mm wide 1.5 mm thick, and from there i plan lining up a plan how to continue. Im aprentice on Chuck winchelsea here so hopefully i learned  a bit or two there :) lets fun begin . Looks like she will be in state of  the famous launch state photography untill this christmas,  :)) 

20210706_173120.jpg

20210706_173206.jpg

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
Add

plank 1 guide established. 

Today I attached temporary square plank to serve as a guide for forst plank. It follows sheerline / waterway, i simply attached by tiny wire stuck thru plank. Line ends iest where hood moldibg follows. I updated knightheads extensively and first bulkhead so the planks meet rabbetline smoothly , and i pushed upper half of knightheads slightly back. Tomorrow I  plan makijg temporary bowsprit to hold knightheads firm in place and finish portside plank guide. Awaiting planks by end of this week i cant wait laying first planks. Fingers crossed folks. Big thank for whatever observation you may have.Vlad

20210707_195149.jpg

20210707_195223.jpg

20210707_195231.jpg

20210707_195314.jpg

20210707_195331.jpg

20210707_195353.jpg

She's looking smart.  You've done such good work up to this point...watching her take shape with your planking will be a great treat.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

offtopic. this is kind of nice. Royal museum greenwich contacted me about my 1:24 model of cutty sark for exposition  . well - i dont have it anymore 😕 

She's sure looking good....love those curves....and yes...it does take a lot if work to make it right....but that is part of the fun of it all.

What an honor that the museum wanted to show your Cutty Sark.  It might belong to another now...but it was your construction and interpretation they wanted.   Congrats!

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

19 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

She's sure looking good....love those curves....and yes...it does take a lot if work to make it right....but that is part of the fun of it all.

What an honor that the museum wanted to show your Cutty Sark.  It might belong to another now...but it was your construction and interpretation they wanted.   Congrats!

Rob

Vladimir, CONGRATULATIONS!!! on the Cutty Sark Museum request to display your impressive, large scale model. While you no longer possess this magnificent creation, I encourage you to contact whoever holds it to see if they might like to honor the Museum's request. Knowing how most collectors feel, it's almost a sure bet they too would appreciate the opportunity to see their miniature in display at the home of the actual vessel herself. If nothing else, besides raising monetary value for any potential future resale, bragging rights alone would also be a positive motivator. If you haven't informed the new owner, I strongly encourage you to do so. They might be thrilled and thank you for letting them know. Good luck!

Edited by ClipperFan
additional information

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 3:39 PM, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, CONGRATULATIONS!!! on the Cutty Sark Museum request to display your impressive, large scale model. While you no longer possess this magnificent creation, I encourage you to contact whoever holds it to see if they might like to honor the Museum's request. Knowing how most collectors feel, it's almost a sure bet they too would appreciate the opportunity to see their miniature in display at the home of the actual vessel herself. If nothing else, besides raising monetary value for any potential future resale, bragging rights alone would also be a positive motivator. If you haven't informed the new owner, I strongly encourage you to do so. They might be thrilled and thank you for letting them know. Good luck!

Thanks tou Rich , im aloe to read my own thread oh, i did exactly what tou wrote. :)

Fairing fairing...

I returned to Hulk again. Its never ok with boats to say ship shape..

But finally i finished starboard side to pointa i Can say good enough by eye and by photos. Portside to be completed gopefully next week and Bull Will be definitely ready for planking. ! I work different say fromRobs, i domy want to put woodfiller or cemented layers to event bumps so i need to make sure Hull IS sa much good as possible beforehand.

After planking with 1.5 mm thick planks i plan put another thin coat dyed with liberon  ebony dye to ensure black on wanlut strips. Will try first. Photos from checking smoothness of Hull...thank you for watching...

IMG_20210718_113434.jpg

IMG_20210718_113009.jpg

IMG_20210718_113006.jpg

IMG_20210718_112955.jpg

IMG_20210718_112907.jpg

IMG_20210718_112835.jpg

IMG_20210718_112718.jpg

IMG_20210718_112655.jpg

IMG_20210718_112640.jpg

IMG_20210718_112622.jpg

IMG_20210718_112544.jpg

IMG_20210718_112541.jpg

IMG_20210718_112522.jpg

IMG_20210718_112512.jpg

IMG_20210718_112105.jpg

IMG_20210718_112004.jpg

IMG_20210718_111949.jpg

IMG_20210718_111927.jpg

IMG_20210718_111848.jpg

IMG_20210718_111839.jpg

Vladimir since your vessel is 1:72nd scale, she must be 4" shy of 4'. At that large scale, it's even more critical to be as precise as possible, since mistakes become magnified. From the pics you've shared, it looks like you're doing an impressive job, fairing her out. 

I remember when reading Ed T's "Young America" build, how he made frequent references to getting the angle of each bulwark accurate in reference to the others or else planks wouldn't sit just right and unsightly bulges would be the result. It was fascinating reading.

So it looks like your approach is in very, very good company, my friend!

'Just love your fairing technique ... running stringers at different angles and taking the 'long view', since the eye can see any 'wobble' in the line.  I'm learning all sorts of techniques and tips from different builds so when I get into the next ship I can do a better job of it.  Slatki kak sacha.  Spasiba !  ...  Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

26 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

'Just love your fairing technique ... running stringers at different angles and taking the 'long view', since the eye can see any 'wobble' in the line.  I'm learning all sorts of techniques and tips from different builds so when I get into the next ship I can do a better job of it.  Slatki kak sacha.  Spasiba !  ...  Johnny

Thanks Johnny for comment. Yeah this method worked fo me previously so i stick with it. i do it exactly as you wrote I lay it across so it gives grace curve and search for hole between bulkhead it the is one. all throughout the hull. V. 

53 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir since your vessel is 1:72nd scale, she must be 4" shy of 4'. At that large scale, it's even more critical to be as precise as possible, since mistakes become magnified. From the pics you've shared, it looks like you're doing an impressive job, fairing her out. 

I remember when reading Ed T's "Young America" build, how he made frequent references to getting the angle of each bulwark accurate in reference to the others or else planks wouldn't sit just right and unsightly bulges would be the result. It was fascinating reading.

53 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Rich, thats right with her size. but to me she looks small or perfect after 1:24 cutty. Today I  constructed port opening on port side, tried to  locate it from Michaels book. 

I outdoneyself today So now both sides  are faired and planks are on the way.cant wait...

IMG_20210718_170343.jpg

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Rich, thats right with her size. but to me she looks small or perfect after 1:24 cutty. Today I  constructed port opening on port side, tried to  locate it from Michaels book. 

I outdoneyself today So now both sides  are faired and planks are on the way.cant wait...

IMG_20210718_170343.jpg

Vladimir, your framing looks spot on! I don't know if you're going to welcome this nit-pickey detail or curse me instead. The 1869 "Glory of the Seas" on the Ways is clear enough to count her strakes. For the Starboard side, I count exactly 4 strakes to make up the side of that loading port. As each strake was 6 1/2" wide, the height was exactly 26". My best guesstimate for width is 3' as the port is definitely wider than it is tall. From her 1869 Fitting Out scene we can see that the loading port appears to be 2/3rds closer to the Mainmast and seems to align with the rear wall of the large house just behind the Foremast. 

36 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, your framing looks spot on! I don't know if you're going to welcome this nit-pickey detail or curse me instead. The 1869 "Glory of the Seas" on the Ways is clear enough to count her strakes. For the Starboard side, I count exactly 4 strakes to make up the side of that loading port. As each strake was 6 1/2" wide, the height was exactly 26". My best guesstimate for width is 3' as the port is definitely wider than it is tall. From her 1869 Fitting Out scene we can see that the loading port appears to be 2/3rds closer to the Mainmast and seems to align with the rear wall of the large house just behind the Foremast. 

Thank you Rich Thats exactly what i needed. youre safe bet. :) I think its too low now will have to redo. 

add

Vladimir you may already know this, if so my apologies in advance. At 1:72nd scale, this docking port would be 1/2" long by .36th of an inch tall, which the closest I can get is 3/8ths of an inch. If you look at the most recent 1869 Glory at fitting out and eyeball the distance from the rear of the Foremast shrouds to the fore of the Mainmast shrouds, to me at least it looks like it's 2/3rds distance from the Foremast shrouds & 1/3rd from the Mainmast shrouds. 

Edited by ClipperFan
additional information

2 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir you may already know this, if so my apologies in advance. At 1:72nd scale, this docking port would be 1/2" long by .36th of an inch tall, which the closest I can get is 3/8ths of an inch. If you look at the most recent 1869 Glory at fitting out and eyeball the distance from the rear of the Foremast shrouds to the fore of the Mainmast shrouds, to me at least it looks like it's 2/3rds distance from the Foremast shrouds & 1/3rd from the Mainmast shrouds. 

Personally I plan on replicating the cargo ports and the wash ports via scribe.   They will not be open.  It’s easiest that way but still accurate.

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Still preparations....

Hi. Asi i went for thick planks 1.5 mm, I decided i hlave to widen glue sticking  area as mjuch as possible fór planks meeting stem. Because rabbet line was too shallow to acomodate such planks I widened stem at the planks side by adding strip of alaskan cedar and sanded IT flush following stem Arrow and left  wide at the rabbet back side. I used soft Wood to fill space between first planks and rabbet so planks are glued tight. Will hlave to do poassibly same to sternpost but IT Will be arranged as planking goes. Hopefully its All for preparations. Thanks for watching . V.

IMG_20210719_132452.jpg

IMG_20210719_132540.jpg

IMG_20210719_132504.jpg

IMG_20210719_132815.jpg

IMG_20210719_132708.jpg

IMG_20210719_132833.jpg

IMG_20210719_132842.jpg

IMG_20210719_132834.jpg

Sweet approach....looking good Vlad.  Can't wait for them strakes to get applied.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):