Looking for Intermediate Skill Level Build

Just completed the Model Trailways Stage Coach and have built other wooden ship models - Bounty launch, Titanic lifeboat, etc. Looking for a new project. Want to build a historic ship - thinking about HMS Bounty, HMS Fly, etc. Would appreciate any suggestions. Have read a lot of kit reviews and have been surprised how many $300-500 kits have errors or poor quality. Looking for a good challenge but want a supplier whose kits are known for good "out of the box" quality in materials and laser cut parts. Thanks! Bill

Their are some great kits available in your price range from a number of different manufacturers. Can you firm up your idea of a vessel type that most appeals to you?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome!

Check out the Vanguard line of kits.  They are phenomenal!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I agree to what GrandpaPhil wrote. Apart from that you might want to take a look at Caldercraft's "Pickle". This is a beautiful schooner with a lot of detail on deck and she was part of the Trafalgar fleet, hence a historic ship. The kit ships complete and, when I built it, there was no issue on material etc.

Welcome to the community and best regards

Uwe

2 hours ago, Williamcpohl said:

Just completed the Model Trailways Stage Coach and have built other wooden ship models - Bounty launch, Titanic lifeboat, etc. Looking for a new project. Want to build a historic ship - thinking about HMS Bounty, HMS Fly, etc. Would appreciate any suggestions. Have read a lot of kit reviews and have been surprised how many $300-500 kits have errors or poor quality. Looking for a good challenge but want a supplier whose kits are known for good "out of the box" quality in materials and laser cut parts. Thanks! Bill

I'd like to build the HMS Surprise - really like the "Lucky Jack" books but any English, French or US revolutionary era frigate or cutter would be good. I like the Amati HMS Fly & the Pride of Baltimore by Model Shipways. Comments please. 

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, Williamcpohl said:

I like the Amati HMS Fly & the Pride of Baltimore by Model Shipways. Comments please.

Okay, comments:

• HMS Fly is a great kit. I know, 'cause I own a partially-built one and lots of finished ones dot the landscape around here.
  • The only knock against Fly is that you absolutely should get the upgrade kit that goes with it. If you don't want to buy a separate upgrade kit, then ...
  • ... get the Pegasus kit, which is a Swan-class sloop like Fly but already has all the upgrade parts included in the kit. Or ...
  • ... consider Speedy or Flirt from Vanguard Models. Same designer as Fly and Pegasus, but newer and thus have improved construction methodology.
  • Pride of Baltimore II is also a great kit and makes a beautiful model, but Model Shipways kits typically have fewer (often much fewer) pre-cut parts. MS expects you to be able to scratch-build many features, like deck houses, using dimensions taken directly from the plans. Don't let that scare you -- if you really like Baltimore clippers, this is the gold standard model kit of that type.

Short answer: those are all very good kits.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 weeks later...