Greetings from Los Angeles

Hello!  Just got my first model and am immediately unsure how to carve some type of bevel from the bearding line to the bottom of the false keel.  

Where would be the appropriate place to post a photo and ask for help?

Thanks and hope all are well. 

Weclome to MSW.   Since you didn't specify which model, I suggest you go up to the search feature and do a search for the model and look at the build logs.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome! Since you are in LA, be sure to check out the Ship Modelers Association of Fullerton. It's a good group.

https://www.shipmodelersassociation.org/index.html

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hello and welcome to Model Ship World.  Mark has given you good advice on searching for a build log for your particular model.  Check out this post regarding carving a bevel from the bearding line to the keel:

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hello and welcome to MSW from the UK. It is a great place to get help and advice, hope to see a build log.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome aboard...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Welcome to MSW, Laggard.

I'd agree with the advice above, but I'd also highly recommend you start a build log for your model. The instructions are here - 

I think most people starting out get rather intimidated by the quality of work they see on other build logs and are a bit nervous about starting one of their own. Don't be. This forum covers the whole range of skill levels, from total newbie to the demi-gods of ship modelling. And a build log enables others to see how you're going and what you're doing, and give help and advice in getting the right result - and sometimes help you avoid going off on the wrong track. And you can ask questions of more experienced modellers about problems you encounter on your build (having a log gives you somewhere to post pictures of what your question is about).

And don't worry about making mistakes. We all do it. The more experienced modellers just make more interesting and complicated ones (!). Don't expect your first model to be perfect - it won't be. But with a bit of patience and application you'll be able to make a model to be proud of. And the next one you make will be better. 

And have fun with it. That's what it's all about.

Best wishes,

Steven

Don't load up on tools too soon. Many modellers get excellent results with a pretty basic set - I like to use a No. 11 blade scalpel or craft knife, LOTS of clamps of various sizes and types, you'll need tweezers, glue (I use white glue mostly but CA (super glue) to glue wood to metal). A drill (maybe a dremel). Probably I've missed quite a bit but others will be able to advise.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

There's some articles in the database about basic tools, etc.   Take a few and read them before spending your money.

https://thenrg.org/resource/articles

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)