G'day from Perth WA

Well, rid of the wives, kids, mortgages and lovers, it's time to lay a little love on myself. Been wanting to build wooden model ships most of my life and finally the time has arrived, yesssssssss. I stumbled across this fine forum/resource and hope to tap into its wealth of information and in the process maybe contribute a build log or two, engage in some verbal intercourse and enjoy some levity from time to time along the way.   

Here for a good time, not a long time :dancetl6:

Current builds: Colonial Brig Perseverance,   Brigantine Matthew Turner,  Gorch Fock

Welcome aboard Mike.  We are always happy to share our hobby with others.  Your skill level doesn’t matter as we cover every level here from the novice to the artisan.  Get familiar with using the forum and start a log on your first ship so if you do come across any problems with it the rest of us can give suggestions to help solve them.  Don’t get discouraged if you don’t feel that you measure up to the results that some of us show, as we all had to start somewhere and it’s all about the journey to keep improving our work.

Edited by BETAQDAVE

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Welcome aboard Mike. Wow! You’re rid of everything...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

:sign:

you look angry 😳
Relax, and enjoy shipbuilding 😉

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome from sunny Ballarat! I like your avatar - Father Jack, unless I much mistake.

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend you start with something relatively simple so you can develop your skills and make something to be proud of without biting off far more than you can chew - such as HMS Victory or the Vasa. Yes, some people have managed it as a first build, but too many find it heart-breaking and fall by the wayside. See 

and 

I grew up in Perth (south of the river - Attadale - wouldn't be able to afford to live there now). Say hullo to the river for me, will you?

Good to have you aboard!

Steven

1 hour ago, Louie da fly said:

Welcome from sunny Ballarat! I like your avatar - Father Jack, unless I much mistake.

Well enjoy it while it's sunny because it doesn't happen that often. I used to live just an hour further west so know the area very well, Ballarat is just beautiful.

Current builds: Colonial Brig Perseverance,   Brigantine Matthew Turner,  Gorch Fock

Well thank you all for the warm welcome I am suitably flattered and Mr Ego says a big "hiho everyone".

I have chosen an Australian company "Model Shipyard" (I think) and one of their offerings, "The Colonial Brig Perseverance" to embark upon for my first foray into the abyss. I am about 1/3 of the way through the build and while I am aware of the many mistakes I have made I am still very pleased with my progress. I have hidden the mistakes with glue, shopping bags, chook feathers and a band aid or two and in a certain light (total darkness) I think I might have gotten away with it.

Anyway, on a serious note, I am bowled over by the amount of resources here and look forward to rummaging around the bowels of this forum for little nuggets and gems of information.

I hope to start a build log of my progress thus far when I figure out how to do so and post pics etc.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome :)

24 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Well enjoy it while it's sunny because it doesn't happen that often.

Actually, I was being ironic. Just had several days of miserable weather, heavy wind and rain. It appears there's a permanent raincloud over Ballarat (you can see it as you approach) as over Duckula's castle.

Steven

At first I was wondering where in the heck Perth WA was, being that "WA" is the abbreviation used here in the US for the state of Washington, where I live. Eventually my few remaining brain cells kicked in and I realized it was Western Australia.

So welcome aboard Mike, even if you are from the wrong side of the world. :D At least we both live on the west coast!

Hope you have a good time and hang around for a long time as well.

World Map Upside Down West Wing - Maps : Resume Examples #JvDXNK1OVM | Map,  World map, Old world maps

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

26 minutes ago, lmagna said:

At first I was wondering where in the heck Perth WA was, being that "WA" is the abbreviation used here in the US for the state of Washington, where I live. Eventually my few remaining brain cells kicked in and I realized it was Western Australia.

So welcome aboard Mike, even if you are from the wrong side of the world. :D At least we both live on the west coast!Hope you have a good time and hang around for a long time as well.

Wrong side of the world? Well maybe, but at least we are way way ahead of you..........

........ time wise anyway.

Thank you for the welcome

24 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

we are way way ahead of you..........

........ time wise anyway.

Just means that when your day is over and it's time for bed we still have a full day of playtime left.:huh::blink:😵

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi Mike and welcome to Model Ship World.  Enjoyed the introduction and glad you have joined us.  Sounds like Perth would be a nice place to visit.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Yep. This is Perth seen from Kings Park, a native bushland park of over 4 square kilometres (about 1.7 square miles) set aside over a century ago on Mount Eliza, overlooking the city and the Swan River.

Perth, a photo from Western Australia, West | TrekEarth

Steven

4 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Yep. This is Perth seen from Kings Park, a native bushland park of over 4 square kilometres (about 1.7 square miles) set aside over a century ago on Mount Eliza, overlooking the city and the Swan River.

Goodness me, that's an old photo. Here is a more recent one taken from the eastern side, Kings Park would be back to the left a bit more. This pic shows the recently completed Elizabeth Quay, one of Emperor Barnett's follies. He named it after her maj in a bid to earn a knighthood perhaps, he is still waiting.

EQ.jpg.9476e569fef0c2737ae8963a98be031f.jpg