Greetings from Idaho

Greetings good people. I hope I am posting correctly. Westlawn graduate in primer program and former wooden model shipbuilder. I am excited to be a part of MSW and NRG. Two great maritime entities to engage with and learn from. From what I recall in design and construction of boats is not only do your mistakes have a way of creating a better creativity but they definitely will humble us. I am not being spiritual or religious but stating a fact many already know. Hope to meet you all and make friends. Many thanks. 

Nautical 1 

Edited by Nautical 1
Grammar

Welcome to MSW.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello, welcome to MSW!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

A big thank you to all members posting my introductory thread. Thank you all so much! I am from Boise, Idaho. I am searching for a Maritime Society and/or Museum engaged with the maritime vessels and peoples of the Pacific Northwest. I have no builds but am presently beginning a US Coast Guard Lifeboat at 44 ft. LOA. model. This will be my first in many, many years. As a youngster at 12 - 17, I built many, many vessels; even an 18 ft. canoe / kayak combo and began building a 16 ft. day-sailer but volunteered with the USMC at 17 in 1971. I surer wish I would have continued building and designing but fell quite short due to struggles with PTSD and a Spinal Cord Injury. Grateful to be alive, I am pursuing now what I have always dreamed of doing, building wooden ship models. 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Semper Fi brother.  USMC 66-70.  I hope you'll start a log on your lifeboat.  It's a great way to meet others and get help.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the site. There are several of us in the Boise area that have formed a small club with similar interests. Some are experienced modelers while others are beginners. We meet every last Wednesday of the month at 13:30 at the Church of the Nazarene in Eagle on the old State Street. Sometimes the meetings is canceled due to the room being used for Church functions (so far everything is ok for this month). Hope you can make it.

USMC late 70's to early 80's.

MTaylor and Mercator...thank you so much for the welcome. Very pleased to be here, oh, and BTW, Semper Fi brothers. USMC 1971-1972. Spent a short time with 1/6. Mercator, I doubt this month I can make it, but please give me a heads up for September. Having surgery on the old bladder soon. Not certain when, so keeping time open. Would love to attend and get to know you guys. Please keep me informed. Thanks kindly. 

Mark, you have a horde of builds, my goodness sir but you have been busy. Great for you! I may or may not be ready, but considering a scratch build, as well as an article I am researching for NRG. Trying to discern the build but wish to construct a Rhine Riverboat. Any ideas for a set of plans? Actually, a smaller scale American Riverboat as in Sloop, is more like it. Either will do. 

Thank you guys!!!

I hope the surgery goes well and they don't cancel on you.   I'm expecting surgery but it's been canceled for now.  <sigh>  Thanks for the comments on my being busy.  Not as busy as I'd like but I'm trying to focus more on the ships than other things.

I'm no help on those boats.   You might try asking in the research area.  More builders will see it and you may very well get the info you seek.  Here's a link to that area:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/13-discussions-for-ships-plans-and-project-research-general-research-on-specific-vessels-and-ship-types/

You might also do a search here for those ships.   It'll entail a bit of drilling down as you get hits.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It's great to see another Idahoan joining the group. It sounds like the local group Mercator mentioned is a good one.  I'd join myself, but will be moving to Oregon in about a week due to my job.

Alan

Alan, where are you headed in Oregon?  There's at least one club possibly more in the northern part.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hmm... the map shows only 5 members in that area but then, many don't add their locations.  There's 3 clubs listed on the NRG page..  but I know nothing about them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi John.  Goto your profile and click on "Edit Profile".  Down near the bottom is the place to add your NRG number and a toggle to set it for being a member.

After that's done, PM James, the admin so he can set your insignia.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Anytime, John.  I'm happy to help.   As for "sir".... I'm not an officer but enlisted so you don't have to call me sir.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...