HMS Bounty by UdoK

Dear Fellows,
after following this great community for many years I would like to start my first buildlog now. After reading plenty of books and other different buildlogs I have decided to start my first scratch build on the Bounty. I have just ordered (and can't wait to receive it) the Lumberyard cherry timber set to start with. I like the Harold Hahn method as it seems not to be that difficult as other builds I have seen.
Anyway, your comments are highly appreciated.

Edited by UdoK

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Welcome, Ill folow

Wish you many happy modeling hours

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Tanks Nenad and Ian,

while waiting on the Timber set I have already spend some time on the construction of the ships boat, the

23' Launch.

Beside the H. Hahn plans of the Bounty, coming with the timber, I will use the AoTS book by J. McKay as reference for the build. After copy the drawings to the correct scale I have started on the keel, stem and sternpost.

post-746-0-83317100-1375010626_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I have been informed by Lumberyard that it takes at least another two weeks to get my timber set on the road.

As I have decided to wait on the Hahn plans to continue with the ship boat I give a shot on the four 4 Pounder cannons.

I have started to shape a pearwood block to the outside dimension in oerder to receive the carriage brackets.

On the milling machine first thing was the axle receptions followed by the final shaping.

Cutting to the required thickness worked very well on the table saw. So far I'am pretty happy with the result (except for the quality of the photos). Well,I guess there is some room for improvement.

post-746-0-08711200-1375989558_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-92015400-1375989605_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-88468100-1375989645_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-58352900-1375989692_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-44123000-1375989724_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting for the timber set, found out that the bottleneck is the laser cut stuff. It is still no confirmed shiping date announced yet

Although I'am looking forward to build this kit I have now reached the Point to put this buildlog on hold. 

Edited by Edward Pellew

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 3 weeks later...

Finally,  Here it IS !!!

After long weeks of waiting I just picked it up from customs Office this morning.

12 Pounds of finest timber like cherry, swiss pear, silver maple, boxwood and walnut, perfectly packed and well  wrapped with plastic foil.

post-746-0-48633900-1379679672_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-45244700-1379679716_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Happy modeling 

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Edward,

Excellent. You can now take the "On Hold" part of your title off - it is "full steam ahead" now.  

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Aye Aye Sir, here we go!

First pieces for the Frame Patterns have been cut.

I already felt in love with the smell of the cherry timber when cutting.

post-746-0-69105900-1379845456_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

After making sawdust all afternoon the first Patterns are  glued and laminated together.

for the single pieces I have used CA, laminating together with PVA Wood glue.

41 Patterns more to go !!

post-746-0-72981700-1379873501_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-77987300-1379873534_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-78646800-1379873571_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

You'e off and running with an excellent start, Edward.   I'm looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Edward,

Very nice start. I'm pulling up a chair too.

It is great to see that you are showing how the frame patterns are being made.

If possible, I hope you will post some detailed pictures of that process.

Good luck with your build and happy modeling.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Thank you Mark and Anja for stopping by.

It is my Intention to show Details of the build as I'am always happy by myself to see details of other fellow modelbuilders.

So I will try to do my very best, if not please feel free to ask questions!

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Thank you redbeard!

Back on my workbench after being away for work all week.

Here are some details of making frame patterns as requested by Anja.

- cutting the woodstrips into required lenght and angle to fit the drawings. The strips supplied in my kit are lightly wider than 1", but it is no Problem as it gives a bit more room for inaccurate cutting of the strips.

- glueing the pieces of the Patterns (two halves for each Frame) together by using CA on a glass sheet placed on the drawing.

- sand the Joints smooth and laminate the halves together by using wood glue. I place the Pattern on my workbench and clamp it with a flat wood piece on top (front of a old cabinet drawer) until dried.

The Patterns than are ready for the thickness sander as the strips vary in thickness lightly as well..

post-746-0-82583900-1380305629_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-64199800-1380305665_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Fun stuff.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Nice and precise, Edward.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Rob and Mark!

@Anja, you, and of course all others, are always welcome for questions and advises.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Thank you very much Anja!

I had a quiet public Holiday day yesterday (the Holiday is not because of my birthday ^_^).

I even could manage to laminate some more Frame Patterns and prepare the building board.

post-746-0-37553000-1380873225_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Paddy, thank you for stopping by!

Time for the next update,

the Patterns for all of the whole frames 1 to 28 are ready. As I said, my intention was to run them trough the thickness sander after laminating together, but the patterns became to wide!!!

It is not much but it simply doesn't fit yet, got to wait after the frames are cut out.

One more time this gave proof to follow the rule „think twice before glueing parts together“.

I'll start now to copy the single frames from the drawings and laminate them to the patterns by using a simple paper gluestick, stolen from my daughter.

To prevent distortion due to warped paper I don't cut along the inside lines of the drawings, place it on the glass sheet and put the frame on.

post-746-0-68274100-1380995914_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-79061100-1380995953_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-80030500-1380995998_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Thanks Edward,

You've got a nice pile of frames there to cut out.

If I see it correctly, your are using a scrollsaw in the last picture?

If so, are these some sort of guide brackets (if that is the correct name)

I've never seen them before on a scrollsaw.

post-45-0-46295200-1381042948.jpg

Thank you and good luck cutting out the frames.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

If I see it correctly, your are using a scrollsaw in the last picture?

If so, are these some sort of guide brackets (if that is the correct name)

Anja

My scroll saw is a 230DS/E out of box.

The bracket you see got a small roller in the front to guide the saw plate and is height adjustable to hold the material on the table.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

most of the sawing Job is done, the whole Frames are cut out now.

Next is to sand them to final shape, I will leave a few 1/10mm on for fairing after construction of the hull has been completed.

post-746-0-31537900-1381951159_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-96144900-1381951194_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-24715500-1381951218_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Thanks Ian!

I have planned to work on the Backbone today, but after a close inspection of the lasercut parts I'am not happy at all with their fit. It is hard to see in the Pictures but in some spots are gaps appearing of more than 1mm. After cleaning and sanding of the parts it will be even more.

As my Intention is to go with the AotS book I have decieded to use the supplied keel and lower part of the stempost only and do the other parts from scratch. For that I will use the scrap pieces of the timber set to stay with the same sort of Wood and Color.

By the way, next week I will buy a better camera!!

post-746-0-71750600-1382245676_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-90369600-1382245699_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787