HMS Bounty by UdoK

Hello Patrick,

May I suggest you upload these pictures of your Bounty in the 'Gallery of COMPLETED Scratch-built models'.

It is very helpfull to post pictures, but it is a bit too much to put 15 pictures of your own build within Edward's log.

It might also be very confusing to other members who are following this topic.

Just post one or two pictures and refer to the others in the gallery.

Thank you for understandig and cooperation.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hello Edward,

As my Intention is to go with the AotS book I have decieded to use the supplied keel and lower part of the stempost only and do the other parts from scratch.

I think you've made the right decision. In the first picture I see what you mean.

And if you're not happy the way it looks, change it.

Good luck with scratching the parts.

Have fun trying out your new camera next week.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

finally I got the Backbone done.

At the first attempt of making new stem parts  I did a mistake on cutting the Joints due to be in a rush. No good, I couldn't use the parts anymore.

I had to order some cherry wood to start the second try, that worked well.

Here is the result with Joints and false keel as per the Aots drawings.

post-746-0-72622400-1383475390_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-32209300-1383475418_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-91357300-1383475441_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-47314100-1383475467_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-42336600-1383475495_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-97322900-1383475521_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-53170000-1383475546_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Thanks Pavel, the building method is different to a POB kit indeed but I enjoy it very much to build a ship this way.

In order to center and align the Frames later on in the building board I made myself a "adjustable" jig with keel and keelson. I find it easier to sand the frames to lenght and make sure the keel fit in properly instead doing it with the drawings only.

post-746-0-19193700-1383494572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edward Pellew

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

I'am pretty busy today! :P

First two of the whole Frames are up, dry fitted to the building board.

post-746-0-38247900-1383503216_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-12339700-1383503240_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

I have just finished reading through your log, most interesting and informative and looking really promising.

I have just completed a 1:60 Bounty which started life as an Amati kit but once I had acquired McKay "Anatomy of the Ship" things got a bit more complicated. They got more interesting still when I got Lennarth Petersen frigate rigging book and used that as a basis for much of the rig. Needless to say I have ended up with a bit of a hybrid but I am happy with the finished result. Colours were a big part of my build and I did lots of research in an attempt at some authenticity.

I am now contemplating what to build next and, more importantly, HOW to build it. The current favorite is HMS Surprise of Master and Commander fame. There are various kits about but none of them really suit. The 1:48 builds are just too big as a finished model and the only smaller one I can find is a 1:72 Mamoli which looks pretty basic and would involve lots of scratch building to end up being a respectable build. So the scratch build option is looking more and more possible, especially when I see what you are achieving.

I shall follow your build and your log is quite inspirational.

Thanks and cheers,

David.

Previous Builds:  Port Jackson Schooner  Modellers Shipyard 1:50

HMS Bounty  Amati 1:60

HMS Surprise Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Current Build:    HMS Bellona Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Thanks David for stopping by and your interest in my build, you did a great job on your Bounty to improve details and rigging.

I have still not decided how to do the hull, interior, rigging, etc.and looking left and right for inspirations. My favorites right now are a both sided closed hull with copper sheating and fully rigged. I take in consideration to build the lower deck with all the details and remove some of the upper deck planking to expose the lower deck, but I may change my mind. 

I'am looking for authenticity as much as possible, same you did.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Most of the whole Frames are sanded and prepared.

I started to errect and glue them to the building board. To receive a nice and strait construction I'am using a very thin string line running down the Center of the building jig with a plumb line fixed temporalily to the Center of each keel Slot in the Frames when glueing.

To have more rigidity in the structure I'am adding some scrap pieces between the Frames.

post-746-0-80994200-1384070673_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-35295400-1384070698_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 3 weeks later...

The whole Frames are adjusted and glued on now.

The keel is still only dry fitted to the construction as I have to cut the rabbet before glueing. To make the keel fit, I chiseled off the spacers between the Frames as again the lasercut was not very accurate. Anyway, due to the use of the scrap wood spacers the structure is solid enough without this.

It is good to see the hull slowly taking shape!

Next is to prepare the rest of the half Frame Patterns, same way as before.

post-746-0-14572000-1385942907_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-39427700-1385942926_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-98618100-1385942948_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thank you Anja for your compliments.

I had a sad time this morning already, discovered some bad things.

The drawing for the single pieces of the Stem, Keel and Stern plus the lasercut parts doesn't match at all with the Master Frame plan.

While transferring the rabbet lines to the keel and a closer inspection gave proof to it. The keel construction differs in lenght, and even more critical, in height and shape from the Master Frame plan.

I suppose this happend, beside a unsufficient measuring from my side, due to a distortion  of the paper and lasercut.

Anyway. I have decided not to go on with the Backbone and all of the lasercut parts supplied in the timberset. The solution will be to do it again by concentrating on the Master Frame plan. I will check out if I can keep at least some single pieces.

Just one of those days!!!

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Hello Edward Your model of bounty is taking shape now, sorry to read about the differences that you have encountered looking at the quality of you work I am sure you will overcome these early tribulations.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael, thank you for your encouragement!

After a short time of being disapointed I have started on the first pieces of a totally new Backbone. I take the opportunity to make it scratch from pear Wood, only the false keel will be cherry.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

after a break due to several different reason the new Stem and head of the knee from pear is ready.

To simulate the caulking I did some Research on different sorts of black paper.

Finally I ended up with the black paper supplied in the Caldercraft kit of my Endeavour. I find it the best result for the strenght of the Joints and thickness.

The paper is 0.18mm thick, converted to real size it makes a caulking of 9mm (11/32") between the Joints what I think is very realistic.

post-746-0-10376200-1391029512_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

unfortunately not much Progress to Report.

After manufacture of the new keel parts I have discovered the next Problem.

Due to the Hahn plans, which doesn't accept a planking of the hull below the waterline, a modification of the Stern Frames is required. My first idea how to achieve this, simply doesn't work and need some more Research and Thinking.

As it seems now the only way is to adapt the rear structure from the AotS drawings to receive a true and original run of the Planks. Next is to copy the AotS drawings to scale and see what it takes to modify the Frames accordingly.

Will be back as soon as I have figured out a acceptable Solution.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Hi Udo,

Just because Hahn didn't plank his ship doesn't mean it can't be done using his plans for framing.  He does leave a lot of areas to builder.  :)  Have the planking tutorials been any help?  Post a picture of the area you're having an issue with and let the collective mind of MSW have a look.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, thank you for your reply.

of course I will go on with the Hahn plans, if not means to dump the whole structure build so far.

To explain my issue here is a link to a beautiful Bounty build strictly according the Hahn plans.

Pictures always work better than text.

http://guzmanshipmodels.com/page6.html

My Problem is the area of the rear deadwood and transom where the Planks run into the keel and sternpost. As per the Pictures the drawings don't give room for Planking, Hahn let the Frames run into the keel and sternpost which certainly differs from the real ship.

To create a run of the Planks to meet the real ship Body lines  the Frames require a Modification.

Second issue are the Transom wings, Hahn draw only two instead of seven on the real ship.

I hope it is clear what I mean, I'am open for any Suggestions or Solutions.

Edited by UdoK

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Well, I think I have figured out something what should work.

A close comparison of the Hahn plans by the AotS Body lines of the Bounty pointed out that Hahn has drawn the rear Framework to the overall  size including the Planking. It seems he started to increase the Cant Frames from the bottom of the whale towards the sternpost and keel to meet the rabbet.

So, I need to reduce the width of Frame 29 - 35 plus the transom wings by the plank thickness for a true and nice run of the Planks into the rabbet.

The Pictures already show a modified deadwood, the thickness of the deadwood is reduced to meet the rabbet.

Here we go, making sawdust to see am I right!

post-746-0-33942800-1392832495_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-27270800-1392832546_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-86626200-1392832617_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Thanks for the Likes!

The new Backbone is ready, beside the Modification on the after Deadwood I have cut the Stem Rabbet, tapered the head of the Knee and glued together all the parts.

post-746-0-52281100-1393167249_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-46767000-1393167325_thumb.jpg

Edited by UdoK

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

the keel has been glued to the structure and the stem half Frames are installed.

Before I move on to the modification of the Stern and Transom Frames I will prepare the Hawse pieces.

post-746-0-74197700-1394967059_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-68049800-1394967076_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Hi Udo,

I think we are all whitnessing a great scratch-build to plan of the famous HMS Bounty after the keellaying is done.

Shall follow your superb construction with high interest

Thanks for sharing this log...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

The frames are looking good Udo, good to see that you solved the issues that were troubling you.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you guys for your nice commends and the Likes.

@Klimi

No Pavel, I will close the hull with full planking and coppering, I'am thinking about exposing the lower deck through the upper deck planking.

While shaping the hawse pieces I have started to draw the modifications on the rear Frames.

First I have transfered the bearding line, calculated from the AotS book to the Master Frame plan and each Frame drawing plus the Position of the whale.

Next I will just reduce the outside shape of the Frames by the plank thickness steady beginning at the bottom of the whale to the bearding line. 

post-746-0-40671300-1395872145_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-94078000-1395872163_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

VOC Retourship Batavia

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787