Curious of the pro's and cons through your own experience of using Alaskan Cedar for framing, planking, etc,  vs. Boxwood, and Beech..

Randy

Current Builds:

1/200 Arizona (Trumpeter) using Eduard  PE with extras  FINISHED!!!

1/48 USS Oneida 1809 DLumberyard "kit"

I have limited use of AYC to date but much more experience with boxwood. What I would say about the AYC in comparison is that it is obviously softer i.e. less dense, it produces a machined edge reasonably well in comparison but I find it takes more care keeping it. In terms of sanding it is easier to sand than boxwood. If you are using laser cutting it's char is easier to remove. I find you have to be more attentive to keeping it clean compared to box as it seems to smudge much easier. It has almost no grain evident but I can't say that it is characteristicaly so as I have not bought large billets. I understand it bends well in comparison owing to its density and fiber construct. In terms of price I believe you will find it considerably less expensive.

I have even less experience with Beech so others should be able to help.

Joe

For other woods for framing instead of boxwood which is pretty pricey, there's maple, cherry, pear, and other fruit woods.  They have the tight grain we need and the hardness.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

AYC isn't always devoid of visible figuring. Sometimes, it also will have knots. What if frequently seen in the context of modeling is highly select AYC. Great stuff for a lot of purposes, but for modeling, specific pieces should be selected for modeling use.  See: https://www.wood-database.com/alaskan-yellow-cedar/

Alaskan Yellow Cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis)

Alaskan Yellow Cedar (endgrain 10x)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 7:43 PM, Essayons said:

framing, planking, etc,  vs. Boxwood, and Beech..

If you are framing at a scale larger than 1:96, any of the species that go under the name Boxwood would be an indulgence.  They would do the job, but other more available and less expensive would do just as well.  The loss to waste in framing is significant.

Beech is very close to Hard Maple in color and density.  The variation in possible grain pattern is (I suspect) much less with Beech.  In Europe, I suspect that Beech is less expensive and much more available than it is in North America.  There, for a light color framing timber, the cost and availability options are probably Beech or Sycamore maple, European sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus).

In North America, the price advantage goes to Hard Maple (Acer saccharum),  Beech seems to be a premium price import.  There are other domestic species of Maple commercially available, but most are close to awful when compared to Hard Maple in density and friability.   If domestic Beech is locally available and the price is right, it may be worth using, with the caveat that Fagus grandifolia is less dense and similar to Black Cherry in this.

For components, other than framing timber, The reduced loss to waste evens the field and makes availability the main factor.

For commercial species that are darker, in North America,  Black Cherry is much less expensive and easier to obtain than European Pear.  Pear is by far the superior as far as density and uniformity of grain.  If you can get and mill it, ornamental Pear (Pyrus calleryana var,) wins against either.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers