New sponsor: Hobbymill.EU / precision milled exotic woods

Regarding stock i have limited myself to: pear, c.boxwood, Alaskan yellow cedar, colored hornbeam, white hornbeam and holly.

Cherry and other spices are might be available based on request.

Hi Vahur,

as I am in my appartement not have the possiblity to mill my own wood, I am really happy that you do the job for me and offer these special timbers. It's me a pleasure to work with you and those timbers.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

12 minutes ago, AnobiumPunctatum said:

Hi Vahur,

as I am in my appartement not have the possiblity to mill my own wood, I am really happy that you do the job for me and off these special timbers. It's me a pleasure to work with you and those timbers.

Thank you Christian :)

In post #35 you show a piece of Briar.  I have it in mind that this would be excellent for deadeyes and blocks.  Since you have the wood, what do you find? 

My understanding is that the part that is used for pipe bodies comes from root burls.  My speculation is that there is a trunk that probably has straight grain, but is just as hard as the root wood.  I wonder if the trunk is discarded?  If so, being trash, it should have a low purchase price. 

The plant is a shrub, so the trunk should not be all that thick.  For deadeyes and blocks it does not have to be very large.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

3 hours ago, Jaager said:

In post #35 you show a piece of Briar.  I have it in mind that this would be excellent for deadeyes and blocks.  Since you have the wood, what do you find? 

My understanding is that the part that is used for pipe bodies comes from root burls.  My speculation is that there is a trunk that probably has straight grain, but is just as hard as the root wood.  I wonder if the trunk is discarded?  If so, being trash, it should have a low purchase price. 

The plant is a shrub, so the trunk should not be all that thick.  For deadeyes and blocks it does not have to be very large.

Hi Jaager,

There is indeed somewhere a box with biar (more than piece on photo, i just have to find that box). I just ordered it along with other spices as i have buddy who makes pipes. Sadly the quality wasnt good enough for him but probably is more than fine for deadeyes and blocks. I havent done anything with wood myself other than to cut it smaller to see if inside is good for pipes.

Br

Vahur

I was thinking that the burl would make any concern about grain orientation relative to part orientation = moot.  But what is there would be a large enough figure that it would appear to be uniform - that is - no obvious grain - certainly no end grain.

If the primary wood gatherer was known, I wonder if a mutually beneficial deal was possible?  The source could get income from otherwise useless sticks, and we could get stock at a bargain price.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

On 1/20/2023 at 7:59 PM, Jaager said:

I was thinking that the burl would make any concern about grain orientation relative to part orientation = moot.  But what is there would be a large enough figure that it would appear to be uniform - that is - no obvious grain - certainly no end grain.

If the primary wood gatherer was known, I wonder if a mutually beneficial deal was possible?  The source could get income from otherwise useless sticks, and we could get stock at a bargain price.

Hi Jaager

Ship modelling community is small and mostly consists of older men (no offence please!).

Me being 36 years old and not even finished my first build im thankful to community for warm welcome and all the advice: advice and blessing from Hobbymill US Jeff, kind words and advice from James and Chuck, positive support from everyone from MSW.

You have been supportive in MSW community with your deep knowledge on different topics and have been kind to share them!

Please contact me via pm and you get the briar for free of charge, only cost shipping. Please note that i cant choose a piece, it will be what it is-i just find the box and take fair amount from there.

br

Vahur

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

There hasnt been any updates for long time :) .

Some Clients have asked if im closing down the shop - not at all.

I had issue where drumsander broke down and i was basically closed for few weeks. Luckily i learned thing or two about fixing drumsanders.....

Regarding stock.

I have plenty of Castello boxwood, Alaskan yellow cedar, black hornbeam and Swiss pear (different shades).

Limited quantity of American holly, white hornbeam.

Regarding Swiss pear.

As have gotten reasonable amount of very very light Swiss pear.

So at the moment there are 3 shades available:

1) Dark (Swiss pear - elsbree steamed)

2) Light/pink (true pear steamed)

3) Very light (Swiss pear - elsbree steamed)

Photos below give better overview of the shades.

Note that if you are building a bigger project where orders are divided into longer period of time then please let me know.

Then i will keep named sample of the color i have sent You with the first package and do my best to follow that in future orders.

As always all requests can be sent as PM here or hobbymill.eu@gmail.com

Br

Vahur

Hobbymill.EU

IMG_2143.thumb.jpeg.62cb5bffeb9b3de81648970f1f54b1e8.jpegIMG_2144.thumb.jpeg.3d856747957a6187280cfbb93f63c2bb.jpegIMG_2146.thumb.jpeg.7e3cb1c428393af66c5f0b37c4a9db69.jpeg

I think I need some of that lighter pear stuff...but my laptop hasn't got the right screen colors, so i'm going to compare it on a friend his computer.

So you don't have maple in stock? I need some deck planking for my Sphinx...now I saw that Blue Ensign used Boxwood for the deck planks...maybe that's a option for me to if you don't have the maple. 

I think Boxwood and Maple are "yellow-ing" a bit the same over time, so maybe it doesn't even matter that much.

Edited by mugje

2 hours ago, mugje said:

I think I need some of that lighter pear stuff...but my laptop hasn't got the right screen colors, so i'm going to compare it on a friend his computer.

So you don't have maple in stock? I need some deck planking for my Sphinx...now I saw that Blue Ensign used Boxwood for the deck planks...maybe that's a option for me to if you don't have the maple. 

I think Boxwood and Maple are "yellow-ing" a bit the same over time, so maybe it doesn't even matter that much.

Hi,

I dont have any maple sadly.

I think very light swiss pear might so something that you are looking for.

Boxwood is yes yellowish.

For white deck there is also option to use American Holly.

Br

Vahur

28 minutes ago, Wahka_est said:

Hi,

I dont have any maple sadly.

I think very light swiss pear might so something that you are looking for.

Boxwood is yes yellowish.

For white deck there is also option to use American Holly.

Br

Vahur

Yeah the pear would be for the outer hull of the Sphinx. I will look into the Holly and see how that looks for the deck otherwhise I will go for Boxwood. I Will send you a e-mail one of these days with what I would need.

Thanks for answering already :) 

Edited by mugje

@mugje

Have you considered using veneer to make planks.

Stores like Rockler have a good selection of maple..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

13 minutes ago, Gregory said:

@mugje

Have you considered using veneer to make planks.

Stores like Rockler have a good selection of maple..

Thanks Gregory, but I think I will go for the boxwood. How more I look to the combination with the pear the whole ship gets a nice warm tone in my opinion. So I think I will settle for that