Where to buy blocks, hearts, line etc...

bobc622

I need to build up a small inventory of rigging supplies. I need blocks, hearts etc. and some sizes of line. Where do I buy fittings in the area of 1:48 models give or take, in the US if possible, that are decent and don't cost an arm and a leg. I have perused various sights and am shocked at prices like $1.29US for a single heart plus shipping. I also find that some of these sites don't have enough of the different sizes to buy a decent order to save on shipping. I know some of you have mentioned different places, but I would like to see all the possibilities listed in one topic so I can make a list without looking through all of the posts.

I would be grateful for advice such as website addresses and your experience with companies good or bad. Thank you.

Chuck makes excellent blocks sold through Syren Ships - check for current pricing.  The scale rope is now done by another fellow trained by Chuck ... there's got to be a link somewhere, and that is properly laid rope done with a small scale rope-walk.  Syren sells a product called the 'rope rocket' that you hook a drill to and can make your own scale rope - you should check it out.  There is also a rope server for someone who wants to go that route.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Snug Harbor Johnny,  I think you're looking for this one..   https://ropesofscale.com/   If I remember right, he's the rope maker that took over from Chuck.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Chuck's blocks and rope are the best out there.  Master Korabel also makes decent blocks that are a little more budget friendly. They can be bought from Vanguard Models or Crafty sailor. Crafty sailor also has some really nice rope from Russia. 

Buying or building a ropewalk and making your own rope is the cheapest option in the long run. It's also pretty fun to make!

I also sell rope on Ropes of Scale. I'm still working on my product line so the options at the moment are limited. 

Chuck has some decent hearts also..

Scroll down to see options..

Laser Cut Ship Model Parts and Fittings

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Piggybacking on this question...

When a seller lists the size of a heart (say, 5.5mm), what exactly is this dimension?  Internal opening width or length? External width or length?

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

It would usually be the longest outside dimension .. Chuck could tell you for sure..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon