Thermopylae by spill50 - Sergal - first build

and the rest.

Handrail channels, 1 down 5 to go.

aFs7HqD.jpg

and the other 5.

rPFUqd8.jpg

Here are the 2 crew heads shaped to follow the contour of the insides of the bulwarks and to sit slightly on top of the handrails when fitted.

p5MWpmW.jpg

That's it for now folks. next I'll be doing the handrails which means I have to do some more tricky lateral bending, this time with some Beech 2x3mm.

Richard

Edited by spill50

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to build Thermopylae, but then... You're doing a very good job with it. Will follow your log.

Rafael.

Built:

-bragozzo http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/member/867-artitec3/

-leut by MiniMamoli

-passenger boat by Artitec (resin kit)

Current build: paranza fishing boat (of the Adriatic) by Corel

On the shelf: Gulnara by Krick

• 2 weeks later...

I wish this model was available in a bigger scale like 1-64 .

I would even like to see a 1:48 scale, now that would be impressive.

This model is waiting in the wings.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Very nice job on the build thus far - looking very sharp!  Would there be a hole of some sort in the crew heads, or would that be taking accuracy a tad too far?

Happy Birthday, Richard!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 6 months later...

Hi ricklabz,

Yes it did, I got the 2 large double sided plans and some A4 sheets stapled together with English instructions. I haven't done much on it lately as I've had lots of work on but since my last update I have built the 2 cabins and finished the hand rails.

Richard

Some pictures and coments for us?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 1 month later...

Hello Richard,

I am also building a Thermopylae and have finished second planking and decking. Re your question on the hull colour, I had the same problem. I contacted the Maritime museum in Aberdeen but they could not help. I then contacted Sergal and they suggested Humbrol paint number 116.

Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

Hey Richard,

I am seriously thinking about getting the Thermopylae kit but ricklabz has me a bit worried about who I purchase it from. Could you share where you purchased the kit from so I know it will come with the instructions?

Thanks,

Max

• 1 year later...

hello Richard.........wonderful build you have going.   I read right........first wood build?!?!?  you've picked quite a scale to cut your teeth on.......but you'll get to experience everything,  and by the looks of it,  your doing Ok.   I recently received this kit {over the holidays}.  I'm going to get the photo etch for it and get some research time in before I begin.   I'll look forward in seeing more of your progress  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi, yes it's been quite 'interesting' but I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far and I'm really pleased with the standard I have achieved on yes, my first wood build. ;)

I have arrived at a couple of tricky bits and my first attempt at bending the strip that runs around the stern was not too successful. Trying to find a way of doing the quite tight bend with a diameter of about 6cm.

I'm hoping to get some more build time on this over the summer. I have taken on a significant role in a new startup so time has been a but short over the past year :)

I purchased this book when I first got the kit to do some research https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tea-Clippers-History-Development-1833-75/dp/0851772560 which has a section on the Thermopylae, it was a great read.

Ah yes......the two strips at the stern :) I cut the lower walnut one in three strips 2 x 2 mm, from the original 2 x 6 mm, and managed to bent them and glue them one "one against the other" on the stern since they sit on the floor. This proved impractical for the upper lime strip, i tried to bent it, but the problem was that it came apart "on it s thickness" not on it sides, something that happens when you try to bent something thick too much, hope you ll get what i mean. So i did it as illustrated in the plans, by cutting smaller pieces at an angle and gluing them. Neither method is ideal, pitty that there isn t a piece of lime from which it could be cut out with a small hand saw, or laser pre-cut. There are pics on my log. 

Tomas