Thermopylae by spill50 - Sergal - first build

Hi everyone,

Well here is my first build log for my first wooden model ship. I started this some months ago but had to take a break due to work commitments but I’m now back on it and keen to get going.

I chose the Thermopylae as I love Tea Clippers, the history, the shape and the mass of rigging. :o  I know it’s probably not the easiest of kits to start with but I like a challenge and figured I just jump straight in.

So here’s the content of the box.

http://googledrive.com/host/0B5g2DHon-ynnVFFnNXl5bm9mVjg/Thermopylae-01.jpg

http://googledrive.com/host/0B5g2DHon-ynnVFFnNXl5bm9mVjg/Thermopylae-02.jpg

http://googledrive.com/host/0B5g2DHon-ynnVFFnNXl5bm9mVjg/Thermopylae-03.jpg

I left the frame to cure for a couple of days before shaping the edges of the ribs to take the first layer of planks. I found the stern to be a bit tricky with the filler piece and the last two ribs as the planks tend to twist from vertical to horizontal and then curve up at the end quite quickly. Which isn’t really shown in the plans but is in the box photo.

I also made some filler pieces for the bow to help with planking but don’t have any photos of them as I got a bit carried away and planked over them. ;) 

Thermopylae-10.jpg

Thermopylae-11.jpg

Thermopylae-12.jpg

Thermopylae-13.jpg

At this point I’m back to the build after my break and I’ve completed the first layer of planking, again the stern was a bit tricky but I got there in the end and overall I’m pretty happy with the outcome. I’ve also trimmed the tops of the ribs off to allow for the deck planks. The ones in the corners proved a bit awkward to get to but I managed to get all of them cut without damaging the bulwarks (is that the right term? I’m still learning all the names).

Thermopylae-14.jpg

Thermopylae-15.jpg

Thermopylae-16.jpg

Thermopylae-17.jpg

Thermopylae-18.jpg

Planking complete I’ve moved onto the decking. I’ve tried running a pencil down the lines on this part but I’m not sure I’m happy with the effect, it looks too dark. In hindsight I should have tested a bit before proceeding. But you live and learn.

Thermopylae-19.jpg

So that’s it so far. More to follow soon and all feedback is welcome.

Richard

Hi Richard,

It's a good start, and I must say your planking is real neat! :)

On my case for the deck planking, I ran pencil down on the edges of the planks first before I glue them on

It turned out well :)

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Hi Richard.

You have made a good start.

And yes it's always a good idea to test things with some scrap first..

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Go on, Rich, I ll follow

Do you think about planking deck with veneer instead drawing lines ?

Nenad

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Do you think about planking deck with veneer instead drawing lines ?

No I hadn't thought of using veneer. With it being my first wood kit I'm trying to stick to how things are done in the instructions.

Thanks,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

If this is your first kit Richard,

you are definately on the right way. The Story goes.... learn by doing..., am waiting for the build log to continue, The scale you are challenging (1:124) is not easy but you`re doing well, Keep the good work up !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Richard. I just clicked the "follow button" of your log. Your doing a very nice work and I`m looking forward to see how she developes. I never heard of  that kit before. Is it still actual? How much was it? I built the Thermopylae years ago in 1:200 as a plastic kit from Revell and I still like looking at her. My next project will be the "Flying Cloud". The more i am looking forward to follow your build to get some Clipper-specific ideas. :-) 

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well it's been a while but I've finally had a spare evening and as promised I have a few new photos to share, nothing too exciting. I've finished planking the deck. I've left the bit under the aft deck as this will be completely hidden. I'll be starting on the second layer of hull planking next.

Thermopylae-20.jpg
Thermopylae-21.jpg
Thermopylae-22.jpg
Thermopylae-23.jpg
Thermopylae-24.jpg

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard  

I was able to get this kit on e-bay a few years ago, luckily for cheap as these kits are usually the victim of a huge import tax in the US. At any rate I'm watching your build with great interest. Allow me to recommend a few books to aid you in the future should you get hooked on this hobby( by which I mean art form - there I said it) Crothers- the American Built Clipper Ship

Petersson -Rigging Period Ship Models

Davis - The Ship Model Builders Assistant, and, Ship Models and How to Build Them

last but not least, Harold Underhill- Masting & Rigging the Clipper ship, and, Plank-on-Frame models volume 1 and 2

Most of these titles are still in print and really inexpensive. The last author/title is really great. The author was British and (belive it or not) was in both World Wars evidently as a combatant!!! - he includes some cool stories with the instructional dialogue-great fun!!! 

I'm a university history instructor so.... I like the books.

Anyway great job on the ship so far - I believe your doing everything right - a minor miracle for a first build!!!

thanks

Steve

Hi all,

Yeah I've been hard at work on the second layer of hull planking. I've finished planking the inner bulwarks and finished one side of the hull and half way through the other side. Hoping to either have it complete tonight or tomorrow night. I've ordered some varnish and paint so hopefully it will arrive in a couple of days.

One thing I not 100% on is the colour to paint the hull above the water line. The instructions say dark brown, but the photo on the box looks dark green and all the reference pictures I can find seem to be green. I'll probably go with a dark green, but any thoughts are welcome.

Steve - Thanks for your comments and the book list, very helpful. I actually picked up "The Tea Clippers - Their History and Development 1833-1875" by David R MacGregor a couple of weeks ago. A really good book. I'd like to pick up a book on rigging before I get to that stage, I think it would be helpful. I've seen photos of some pages from Masting & Rigging the Clipper Ship, It looks like an amazing book and I've found it for around £30 online.

Anyway more photos shortly, I promise.

Richard

Richard - your deck planking looks really nice!  I will second what Steve said - the Underhill book on rigging the clipper ship is very good. 

There are several Clipper Ship books that may be of some use - some better than others - particularly related to the deck furniture and hulls.  Some of these include:

Lubbock, Basil (1919). The China Clippers

Kipping, Robert (1853) Rudimentary treatise on masting, mast-making, and rigging of ships (available on-line at http://archive.org/details/rudimentarytrea00kippgoog)

MacGregor, David (1983) Tea Clippers: Their History and Development, 1833-1875

There are many more - like Steve, i enjoy reading about the history.  At last count, my nautical and model building collection (started a tad over a year ago) is in excess of 200 printed books and well over 300 downloaded pdf documents.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Very nice start on your first build.looking great.Keep up your progress and updates                                                                                                              PER

Hi Richard

Thermopylae wore several colors in her career. While most (virtually all American clippers) were black above the waterline, Therm was green. The precise shade is open to significant debate - some of my research and examples of other models is a more grass green than the box top suggests. Later in her career she was white above the waterline, there is significant photographic evidence to suppport this. Later still, sort of turn of the 20th century she was transferred to the Portuguese navy as a cadet ship- she was certainly white then until the end of her life. so.... be bold!! 

Gary pointed out that the thread supplied by Sergal is overscale - I can definitely support that, consider sourcing some finer thread- all of the sources agree that thinner is better, also , a reminder as I'm sure you already know this; the higher in the mast the thinner the rigging line.

I throw out this possible resource for authentic looking line - Cottage Industries hand makes model ship line at various diameters and a very very reasonable price. This stuff is great. I was able to luck into some when I bought a model second hand and supplied with that stuff. You have to give them some lead time in the ordering since it is made to order. Trust me, it does make a difference.

again great job and keep up the great work

Steve

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments everyone. Well as promised I have lots more photos. Enjoy!

Here are the deadeyes and single blocks that came with the kit. Mantua do versions of each, 1mm smaller but they don't seem to do chainplates and strops for that size deadeye.

Thermopylae-25.jpg

Here's the rigging line they supplied. I think there is 0.25mm, 0.5mm and 1.25mm. The 1.25mm does seem a bit thick.

Thermopylae-26.jpg

Thermopylae-27.jpg

These were taken while applying the second layer of planking 0.5mm x 3mm Walnut on the hull and inner parapets.

Thermopylae-28.jpg

Thermopylae-29.jpg

Thermopylae-31.jpg

Thermopylae-32.jpg

Thermopylae-33.jpg

And these are of the completed planking.

Thermopylae-34.jpg

Thermopylae-35.jpg

Thermopylae-36.jpg

Thermopylae-37.jpg

Thermopylae-38.jpg

Thermopylae-39.jpg

Richard

Hi everyone,

Well I've been hard at work this weekend and have some updates for you.

To begin with a spot of lateral bending some 2x3mm Walnut. The 2 bits for the bow were pretty easy to do but the tight curve of the stern proved to be a bit of a pain. this is the first time I've had to soak timber to bend it and I basically messed up big time on the first attempt. However the second attempt (shown below) I'm actually pretty happy with.
YB0UCy4.jpg

Clamped while drying.

gtEiU76.jpg
ttvzHAM.jpg

and Gluing it all in place when dry.

4ivS3KU.jpg

xqnDBZ3.jpg

I'll add a couple of photos of the other bits I worked on tonight, need to go back to work :(

Edited by spill50